Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About to go and play my first game 3 years, but its been 12 years since i played SM, so here goes on the quick list i drew up before work.

HQ
Lysander

Troop 1
10x SM with Melta and Plasma cannon

Troop 2
10x SM with Melta and Plasma cannon

Heavy
5 dev with 2x ML and 2xLC

Assualt
10x ASM with 1 plasma pistol, 2 PW, 2 PF and 2 Shields

Elite
5x assualt terminators (2xTH and 3xLC)

Landraider Crusader - used for transport of lysander and Terminators

This will be used against a random army

note that i do have a both Predators avalable and a selction of dreads also 3 attack bikes (MM) and lots of other marines or HQ i could use

·
Registered
116 Posts
1) I'd say your at least one of your tactical squads needs transport.

2) Why not a plain Land Raider so shoot some extra tanks before CC starts? 6 terminators fit in SM LR, and 2 hurricane bolters can't do anything your plasma blasts and assault units can't do.
Btw, as of now LR is an only target worthy of antitank fire in your list. So I'd say extra armour would be nice and getting more target-rich would be even nicer.

3) What is ASM?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ASM = Assault Space Marine

yeah i could use it as a standard LR, its just ive only got crusaders :p so ill have to let them know what im playing as.

I suppose me useing only 1 LR comes from my GK days, never did lose that LR in combat.
But i cant argue with giving them 1 target of concentration as i have quite a bit of Long range kit to hit them back with while there paying to much attention else where.

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Lysander is a nice choice for an HQ, however, something overlooked is his Bolter Drill Special Rule. Yes he is a good CC character but getting re-rolled 'to hit' shots is nice for bolt weapons. So you could invest in a Heavy Bolter Dev squad or a Sternguard squad with lysander in it to boost their shots, and on the plus side he can boost their CC effectiveness as well.

The Tactical squads seemed to be geared anti-mech or anti-MC, you could keep one as is, but possibly swap one squad out for a Plasma Gun or Flamer and Missile Laucher, the PG can deal with light armour etc, the Flamer anti-infantry, and the ML is a good allrounder, able to target both infantry and armour

Most people will say to not mix Dev squad weapons as it causes confusion to the role of the unit. Yours is ok with 2x ML you can deal with infantry and arnour, however the lascannons can be good or bad. if the army you oppose ends up being mech, you should be fine, as the LCs will get them fine, but if its a horde army, having 2x shots at Str 9, AP 2, your only (if at all) killing 2 models, so i'd opt for either 4x ML or 4x HBs stuck with Lysander

Can you clarify if the ASM is a normal Assault squad or a Vanguard squad? the wargear suggest Vanguard

Termies...depends, if you opt for ranged Lysander, replace with Sternguard, or invest the points in more troops etc, otherwise these are fine.

In general, try and establish what each unit may be doing, and try and aim for an all-comers list, as you said it's a random army your up against, so it could be anything, any general ideas to what armies are used in your area?

Grish

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i like your ideas.
the ASM are standard marines

Ive chosen a list like this because at the last minute i can make changes respective of my opposition, i.e change the LR between types or switch the Dev for another troop or switch the ML for HB with out having to recalculate at the last moment to much.

For the troop idea, yeah that would make sense to switch one to more anti infantry
There is a mix, there are lots of Ork/IG players but there a few necron and tau players to.

I was going to use lysander to work along with the termies would i be up against Mech units to get in close, should i be up against lots of infantry i would ether switch the termies to standard or move lysander with the troops. I have some sternguard but there still on the sprues lol

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
Ok I'm just not sure about that loadout you have for the ASM, as its only the sergeant who has the access to the PW, PF and Shields

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
okay, hmm may be ill have to have a quick read again of the book.. i may of miss read it in the rush this morning :blush:

If so then ill split them into 2 squads lol, or replace the whole squad with 2 dreads

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'd say PF+SS aren't the best loadout for assault sergeant: if a common model has upgrades' equivalent of a terminator, something is just wrong with it. And turning them into 2 untransported 5-men squads won't also be too scary if you are going to play offensive. Will take casualties during flight and won't deliver the punch on arrival.

2 Dreads (if you have the points) can both boost your CC, get you some long-range shots and distract some fire from LR.

P.S. 10 Sternguard Vets, getting off Land Raider and rapid firing with Bolter Drill and special ammunition... Well, probably not the way to use them, but hell, that would be scary.

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
P.S. 10 Sternguard Vets, getting off Land Raider and rapid firing with Bolter Drill and special ammunition... Well, probably not the way to use them, but hell, that would be scary.
Such is the might of Lysander. If you move the LRC forward and fire which ever weapons you can at a certain target, then have 10 Sternguard + Lysander disembark, and as above, open fire with Rapid Fire, re-rolling 'to hits' (Bolter Drill), and then adding if you used Special Ammunition :shok:

That's a seriously hard hitting set-up, good for SC/IC hunting :victory:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Such is the might of Lysander. If you move the LRC forward and fire which ever weapons you can at a certain target, then have 10 Sternguard + Lysander disembark, and as above, open fire with Rapid Fire, re-rolling 'to hits' (Bolter Drill), and then adding if you used Special Ammunition :shok:

That's a seriously hard hitting set-up, good for SC/IC hunting :victory:
If your using it for IC hunting that's serious overkill, like I just spent a good 700 points to kill something that is probably in the 100-150 range. Kill full squads with it and you might be talking, also for Ic's yu could just insta kill them with the multimelta on the crusader.

@ OP

Single raiders and assault marines are both not very effective, raiders because they need the list to work for them, ASM because they just don't have the oomph to kill anything you couldn't kill better by shooting. Are you going to take my word for it or do you want me to elaborate?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
lol, wow lots of feedback to use next time :)

I ended up playing in a 2v2 match Me and IG Vs Space wolfs and Black Temp.

It was a 1000 pts per player battle, i used my temies and IC in the LRC with the 2 troops.

The black temp i was directly facing was all troop and a dread.
The dread was taken out on the first turn by the LRC MM while i moved up.
the troops stayed back to reinforce the IG against the incoming wolfs whom had whirlwind and devisators plus a heavy CC load out.

On the second turn the termies and lysander disimbarked with the LRC providing cover fire taking out the loan combat squad with ML.

The termies ingaged in CC with the Hero and the SM as they had moved up do to special templar rule. They was destroyed by the five terminas with Lightning Claws and lysander.

the black tempar termies moved into close combat with thunder hammers, 4 out of 5 was destroyed in the first round.

The LC moved round to flank the wolfs taking out the wirlwind.

The IG stayed back though out the match firing on the approching wolfs and talking out the dev squad.

By the end of the 3rd turn (game only lasted 3 turns due to time)

I had lost 1 teminator and a hurrican bolter on the LC
the IG had lost a sentinal and 3 hvy weapons.
In total the black tempalars lost all of his SM troops and teminators and dread with only a 5 man GK squad with Deep striked out of range to provide support left on the table.

the space wolfs had lost there entire dev SQ along with the wirlwind, razor back. the vindicator was immobilised and out of range for fire.
His SM had lost around 60% of there marines tring to ingage though the IG heavy bolters and fire from my 2 troop options.

Lol, i was cuffed.. my LRC, termies and Lysander had been responable for the near annhilation of the black temp squad and my troops had caused heavy loses to the wolfs along with the IG.

Its was one hell of a lucky night for the dice on my part :D

Next week ive arranged to go up against 1500pts of Sisters of battle lol, im going to have to figure out a good trrop choice for that one.
Dont know weather to use SM or GK with IG support

1 - 11 of 11 Posts