Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO, I"ve been painting oon my dark vengeance setup and these suckers look alright from afar but nothing like alot of the talented people on heres. I assume everyone has this happen, but what are some essential gear to have around to hellp, ie. thinner brushes, shades? I like the way they look i just feel they can look better. I apologise if this is basically a repost, I just need some help

·
Registered
522 Posts
Everyone starts somewhere, got any pictures?
There are loads of great tutorials and advice online, I listen to various different sources and pick and choose some ideas over others.
Probably the best advice I have, and what has helped me enormously with motivation, is online competitions. Having targets in a monthly army painting competition, or even putting up your paint jobs in death matches etc will help motivate to get the job done. I try and get at least one unit a month done. But then my army is orks, and it's huge.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Dark Vengeance set has some pretty articulate models, the last box set "Black Reach" came with stock space marines and orks and was nothing to get these guys looking decent. That said there is a lot of room to get detailed in DV set and the pics you see on the box are some of the best stuff.

Here are a few tips I learned in my painting from trial and error.

1. One color is never one color, ie. Dark Angels are Dark Angels green but dry brushing or shading with goblin green makes the color pop. Rule is every color has a darker and lighter shade to compliment it and that is the first thing you will learn if you have not all ready.

2. Like the advice above, look and see what other people are doing to paint there armies and apply that to yours less your unique changes.

3. Create a uniform look, do a few test models and pick one you like> document the process (step 1 black, step 2 dark angels green, etc.) and begin to paint one by one or "production line style" grab 10 models do 1 step at a time with each.

4. Washes - dont underestimate the power of wash, this is used to give a highlight in the recess of a models groves and some say it is cheating because if used correctly can make a model look 10x better.

Lastly, have fun. If your not excited when the paint goes from brush to model and are just painting to get them done..people can tell and you will be able to tell. Give your self a nice window of a few hours when all is calm and knock out a few models and take a break. Hope this gives some ideas and helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right on, I bought the base paint set from citadel it came with wagh green but no dark angels green .maybe I can pick it up next week? I will post some pictures later

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Nothing wrong with those mate. Colours are good, and the work is tidy. That's all you need for a good start. Everybody starts somewhere - except @Nordicus who is a git :laugh: - so keep chugging away and you'll pick up tips and tricks as you go :good:

·
Registered
522 Posts
I agree, nice and neat which is the main thing at the beginning.
Do you thin your paints? Adding a little water or acrylic thinners will help the paint go on nice and smooth.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have found that if you just do a YouTube search for "how to paint (insert model)" you'll find several tutorials that are really helpful for ideas, even if you don't want to use their color scheme. I'm right there with General Eric, though, washes and detail highlights really make a difference.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree, nice and neat which is the main thing at the beginning.
Do you thin your paints? Adding a little water or acrylic thinners will help the paint go on nice and smooth.
Would I do that by mixing in a bottle cap or something? If so is it possible to make new colors with what i have? Like in kindergarten, red + yellow = orange? Cause that would be helpful. I'm about to scour youtube, for some painting videos.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Would I do that by mixing in a bottle cap or something? If so is it possible to make new colors with what i have? Like in kindergarten, red + yellow = orange? Cause that would be helpful. I'm about to scour youtube, for some painting videos.
A bottlecap could work, but I would recommend getting a palette. I got one for pretty cheap that has a ton of tiny little craters on one side that are perfect for it. What I do usually is take one "brushload" of paint, wipe it in there, and then just get the brush wet and drip water into the paint a few times. It lets you control the amount of water pretty accurately for if you want a really thin wash for bringing out detail or just to water paints down.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wish there were better hobby stores around here. I might see if I can get over to muncie next week and get some more gear. For this, patience is a virtue I reckon lol

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a small palette, I add the paint there and mix a little water to thin it out.
You can mix your own colours but I tend to only do that for characters as it can be tricky to do it consistently.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have a small palette, I add the paint there and mix a little water to thin it out.
You can mix your own colours but I tend to only do that for characters as it can be tricky to do it consistently.
This is very true! The first unit I painted was with colors I mixed to get it just right and I ran out halfway through, couldn't get it exactly right later so it looked like crap.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Sorta and yes. If i'm mixing i'll use a palette. In my case an old lid from an ice cream tub. Mixing your colours is a great way to build up tone but it's easier to do with layers rather than base paints. if you started with caliban green and slowly mixed waagh flesh with it as you got to the edges of the armour you would get a good gradient. If i'm lightening green i tend to mix yellows in .

Right on, I bought the base paint set from citadel it came with wagh green but no dark angels green .maybe I can pick it up next week? I will post some pictures later
Dark angels green was from a previous paint range. The closest match is caliban green.

Really appreciate the compliments fellas, reassures me I'm not in over my head
No probs, everyone starts somewhere and you're doing much better than most who start out. I still have nightmares about my yellow and baby blue tiger striped marines.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
Yellow and baby blue? That sounds delightful. :laugh:
Aaah, the Rogue Trader era. Such memories! :cray:
It was second edition and i didn't have enough pocket money to get new paints so it was humbrol enamels that were left over from painting aircraft. Don't know if any still exist in my bits box. They might have all been stripped.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts