Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a good painter. I never was when I used to play the game 6 years ago and I'm still not now. So with that in mind. Because apparently I'm a glutton for punishment I present to you the first squad from my Alpha Legion army and the first models I've painted since I was 15.

I know the picture quality isn't that great. I have a horrible camera. Please be gentle.

·
Registered
164 Posts
What are you talking about man, I find that color scheme pleasing to look at, the simple yet effective highlights in the blue of the armor, the green of the Alpha Legion symbols adding a nice contrast. I must say that I like the symbols you have better than the transfers provided my GW. For not painting for 6 years and for showing us here on heresy I have to say that you have done a very nice simple and effective scheme!

Now to the negative, you can add more shading to the horns, they seem a little to pristine for being in the warp for so long. Your metals could use a bit more highlight other than boltgun metal, maybe doing a drybrush of mythril or chainmail?

Other than that awesome job! Thanks for sharing.

~highmarshaliain

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm my own harshest critic so I prepared for the worst. To address some of the comments:

I can't highlight. That's just two different drybrushes.

I'm aware of the horns and I'm trying to improve that.

The metal on the weapons and on the chainmail loincloth is not Boltgun it's Chainmail with a wash of Badab Black. Not a very good wash but I'd never used a wash before. The Silver on their armour is just straight chainmail. I tried some different things to make it less flat but I was unsatisfied with everything that I did.

Thank you for your kind words.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
well dan, here you say you suck, and I think your models are Decent. next time were both at the GW ill see if I cant help you with highlighting. Regardless, they look good so + rep

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
Hey as long as u painted them yourself! practice makes perfect! and tbh its not all bad. There are some good things that can come from this work. I mean you picked a colour pallet that was visually appealing, you took colours that looked good together, and from what i can tell kept them to table top standards. I only wish I could show you my first models you would be called Van gogh by comparison :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
These are better than a lot of minis I have seen over the past couple of months. I can't see any grey (shudder). I think you have done a decent job. Those washes are really good and are definitely worth it. You have done a good job and +rep for you. How are you going to base these bad boys?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Half the battle is making your paint job tidy. You've got that so its a good vase to learn techniques like shading blending and drybrushing.

I like that Alpha colours you have there. Good feedback from others, so a bit of practice and post progress for us to see!

CtS

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone who had praise for me. Seeing that other people like them means I'm willing to keep working on squad two and beyond.

To the people who said I picked a good colour scheme. I can't take any credit for that. I just went with the Alpha Legion scheme. I gave no thought to basing. My goal was just to get them done. When I get around to it I'll probably go with some sort gray rubble thing since my main opponent is building a giant city board and showing up with grass would look a bit off on that.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Your models look fine mate and the horns are a good colour. Your able to keep your painting neat and easily defined, so why feel bad?

You want to see truly bad painting, you should try looking at some of my models. Even the ones that look good from a distance turn out to be bad once you see them close up, whereas yours are just fine.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Nice work. Carry on. Like the legion too. Fighting the alpha legion is like swinging at shadows.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't use washes actually, I take a small amount of paint in a plastic bottle cap (poland spring, aquafina) and add a small amount of water to it. I play Black Templars and have yet to find a good wash that I like for my shoulder pads. I started doing the same recently with my blacks and other colors too and guess what? It works! I think your on the right track as a painter, as it was said half the battle is over you paint clean models! Now as you practice more and more you'll get better and pick up techniques that can help you.

Good luck and keep posting

~HighMarshalIain

1 - 13 of 13 Posts