Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help! I have not played with my VC army for a long while and I am only just coming to terms with the new rules. How do you think this 1000 pt army would do as a start for my first game under the new rules?

Vampire - Dark Acolyte, lord of the Dead, Flayed Hauberk - 170
Necromancer - Extra spell, Sceptre de Noirot - 80
15 Ghouls - 120
15 Skeletons - command - 140
16 Grave Guard - command - 222
3 Fell Bats - 60
7 Black Knights - command - 208 Total=1000 pts

Any suggestions to improve it or have I made some real bad mistakes?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
353 Posts
What two necromancy spells did your necromancer take? I would drop the bats and command on the black knights for more skeles. I dont know if grave guard are a worthwhile investmen when you could be getting more skeletons and ghouls. I dont find the sceptre a useful item, there are better in that section for Vamps. Also too because if your Necromancer only has two spells, he should probably take Invocation and Van Hel's Danse as opposed to raise dead.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I lose the bats wouldn't I be lacking in any speed at all? The grave Guard are usually my most successful unit.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You dont really need "speed" if you want speed dire wolves or knights. Bats dont do to much for you. Grave guard are succesful true, but it just seems like you dont have that many models, but its your call. Any thoughts on what I said about your necro?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to take invocation and raise Dead. Would Vanhel's be that much better? If it is then it would make sense to lose the sceptre. (Could get an extra knight) If I lose the Grave Guard how will my skellies kill anything, especially as fear is not so hot anymore?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Raise dead isnt so useful, because at most your getting 12 zombies, sure they can flank or what have you, or would you rather have your grave guard ASF and re-rolling misses.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point. So, if I drop the sceptre and the fell bats that gives me 85 extra points. Where do you think they should go - more skellies(larger unit) grave guard or ghouls?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I prefer ghouls, since you can raise them anyways their lack of armor isnt really an issue. And two poison attacks per model, fighting in ranks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think for the point limit you have a good army, I agree with which units to drop. But id use the 85 points to make the skellies and guard unit 20.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Given all the ideas, how about this for a slightly revamped army?

Vampire - D. acolyte, Lord of the Dead, Flayed Hauberk - 170

Necromancer - Invocation and Vanhel's - 70

15 ghouls - 120

19 Skeletons - command - 172

19 Grave Guard - command - 258

7 Black Knights - command - 208 total= 998

The Vampire will go with the Grave Guard and the Necromancer with the Skellies.
One question - with the new rules is it worth making the Vampire l2 for the cost of 30 points?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts