Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im starting up a IG army so the other day I got around to painting my first ever guardsman.

I am going for a urban sort of camo scheme and I think it came out alright. Let me know what you think, tips are also always welcome.:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The camo pattern is good. The thing is you won't see the pattern (because it's camouflage) from the other side of the board. So it will be difficult to see all your hard work, which is a shame btw cuz I really like it :)

Have some rep though

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
give it a badab black wash and your done, shades and makes it darker and grittier, appropriate for cityfight really.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good Job!!!

Great paint scheme there, I would recommend painting the right shoulder pad like a blue or red, but overall very well painted! :)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I like this. + rep for you. I think a red shoulder pad is only needed for an armoured fist unit as on the front cover of the cityfight codex (far better than cities of death in my opinion). I think washes are sometimes a good idea but don't need to be used all the time. How many are you planning on building/painting?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow thanks guys I wasn't expecting so much positive feedback.

Great paint scheme there, I would recommend painting the right shoulder pad like a blue or red, but overall very well painted!
Im a little confused, is there some sort of significance to the red or blue shoulder pad, because it sounds like quite a strange thing to do.

How many are you planning on building/painting?
This is my problem, my 1500pt list has around 70 infantry (including officers and their command squads). Do you think it will be torture to paint that many with this scheme?

Thanks guys

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Im a little confused, is there some sort of significance to the red or blue shoulder pad, because it sounds like quite a strange thing to do.
For me it's all about having a little contrast on the model. Imagine all 70 of your models painted in just those colours. While they would be well painted, the army would start to blur into itself. You could say it's their company colours.:eek:k:

·
Registered
458 Posts
For me it's all about having a little contrast on the model. Imagine all 70 of your models painted in just those colours. While they would be well painted, the army would start to blur into itself. You could say it's their company colours.:eek:k:
Isnt that the point of camoflage, to make all the models blur into their surroundings? If i were going into battle, Id rather not wear a bright red shoulder pad. It would be like painting a bullseye on your face except you get shot in the shoulder instead of the face. So if you want to add contrast to your army paint their little toes red instead of their shoulders, those are less important.

Come to think of it, id also like seeing a paint scheme that includes bullseyes on faces, that could be interesting in its own way.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I did the red pad on my traitor guard, but that is because each trooper has an item of their gear soaked in the blood of their enemies. However it did help to break up the drab colors. It does make less sense from an effective camo point of view.
The camo looks ace and an army of these will look fantastic.
I know what you mean with regards painting this many minis. Doing the 200 ig i have was very hard slog.

·
Registered
158 Posts
on the note of the red shoulder pad idea it could be worse your troopers could have urban camo from modern warfare 2. seriously how the hell does bright red and black blend into a building.well anyways nice work on the camo, would love to see more.

·
U Mad Bro?
2,777 Posts
on the note of the red shoulder pad idea it could be worse your troopers could have urban camo from modern warfare 2. seriously how the hell does bright red and black blend into a building.well anyways nice work on the camo, would love to see more.
lol or running through the jungle at night with glow in the dark clothing. or or... everyone just holds their own banner that says 'Shoot me im right here' or something to that nature.

But back to topic the 1 coloured shoulder pad may be a regiment / squad marking. I for 1 when playing a game hate it when people cant even tell their squads apart and start mixing them up during the game. So something to separate them is not a bad thing.

Cheers,
Chaosftw

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
seriously how the hell does bright red and black blend into a building.
considering most buildings are made out of red brick, your gonna be better off with orange and reds and blacks than greys, heck even the germans figured that one out in WWII, and so did allot of countries, hence why you have yellow, purple, blue and green urban camo..

try fighting against a Russian soldier wearing red in the rubbel of a red bricked house, while you have grey on, your gonna stand out like a sore thumb.

its also great in the autumn.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Fantastic looking model mate. I too am working on an urban Imperial Guard army of about 2000 points. I haven't started painting them yet, I'm still assembling them all, but if mine turn out as half as good as yours I'll be very happy. Have some rep.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
If you want to be able to tell your squads apart, I'd just mark the back of the base. I like the camo, IMO, colourful guardsmen look wank.

·
Registered
502 Posts
If you want to be able to tell your squads apart, I'd just mark the back of the base. I like the camo, IMO, colourful guardsmen look wank.
Thats whats im going to do, aside from a small transfer on one shoulder. (which will probably not really help much on telling squads apart)

·
Registered
246 Posts
considering most buildings are made out of red brick, your gonna be better off with orange and reds and blacks than greys, heck even the germans figured that one out in WWII, and so did allot of countries, hence why you have yellow, purple, blue and green urban camo..
I have seen very few red face brick buildings in 40k

I am in the process of figuring out a way to tell my squads apart, but yes I feel that a nice red shoulder pad would be looking for a bolter round to tear your arm from the rest of your wimpy guardsman body.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts