Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first Eldar army list for what I have. It totals about 1992pts (little high?)

-HQ-
Total pts.
133-Farseer (with dark reapers)-55x1
siningspear+3 Runes of witnessing+10 Spirit Stones+20 Doom+25 Guide+20

205-Fuegan (with fire dragons)
or
195-Maugan Ra (with dark reapers)

-Elites-
133-6 Striking Scorpions(in Falcon)-16x6
Exarch+12 Scorpion's Claw+15 Biting Blade+5 Stalker+5

131-6 Fire Dragons(in Wave Serpent)-16x6
Exarch+12 Firepike+8 Tank Hunters+15

-Transport-
175-Wave Serpent-90x1
Bright Lance+45 Shuriken Cannon+10 Spirit Stones+10 Vectored engines+20

-Troops-
192-8 Rangers-19x8
pathfinders+5x8

175-14 Guardians-8x14
Missile Launcher+20 Warlock+25 (singing spear+3 Conceal+15)

175-14 Guardians-8x14
Missile Launcher+20 Warlock+25 (singing spear+3 Conceal+15)

-Fast Attack-

196-7 Warp Spiders-22x7
Exarch+12 DeathSpinner+5 Power Blades+10 Withdraw+15

-Heavy Support-
140-4 Dark Reapers-35x4

147-3 Dark Reapers-35x3
Exarch+12 Missile Launcher+10 Fast Shot+20

190-Falcon-115x1
Starcannon+25 Shuriken Cannon+10 Holo-fields+35 Spirit Stones+10
Vectored Engines+20

Please add any comments about my selections, they would be much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
1500 is about the size you want for a standard game, and eldar are the army to do it with, but you have to (or should) follow a specific formula if you want to have that game winning army.

use jetbikes as troops with an autarch on jetbike as your HQ, these are for moving fast and grabbing objectives at the last minute, the autarch adds some punch. Then you want 3 kitted out falcons, and a ton of aspects, fire dragons, harlies, avengers, banshees are all good.

the phoenix lords arent that great, though eldrad is killer for his points..

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
cough take down the points value cough cough cough

pheonix lords are awesome i would just like to say

i have around the same army but biel tan

i dont have many jet bikes or guardians

i have harlequins and swoopng hawks insead and a avatar and more pheonix lords

i also have around 17-19 rangers

my 3 falcons

have all the upgrades

a pulse laser and a bright lance and a underslung shrukien cannon

i have them so i can interchange the bright lance for scatter lazers ect

your list is good you just have to learn to play it and outwit your opponent never keep on changign list because you dont win

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
you know the falcon can only fire the pulse laser with your set up if you move it at all. The starcannon make a more versitile choice in my opinion. Btw, each pheonix lord counts as an HQ choice so only two maximum are allowed. Just curious, when was the last time you took a look at the 40k rulebook, and the updated codex for that matter.

Anyway, a troop selection on jetbikes would be a LOT more expensiv on my part, but then again if i trade out the pheonix lord for an autarch and even ditch the farseer, it would be a seemless trasition.

About the Falcons, should i also ditch the wave serpents and throw 3 squads of firedragons into those instead? Or maybe save one waveserpent for a shock squad like my scorpions?

Ive only played about two games *consider me a rook* but in both games i dominated necron and tau. Maybe because I was playing a 1500pt game instead of 2000.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
cough i have 3k+ points

plus i use the cloud strike squadren for apocalypse games so pulse lasers become lances when they become flyers

i can change the bright lance for any weapon you want to upgrade to so im not worried really..

if he takes out a weapon i still have 1 str8 left

but thats apocalypse battles

for 1.5k battles id probably use rangers and heavy fire with few cc troops

i just made a 500 point army for a beginners tournament.

i have been playing on and off since they stopped publishing 2nd edition, so please have some consideration

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just played a 1850pt tourny match against the Dark Angels. I took out a few phych powers and took out the scorps and the waveserpent (should have kept that...). Anyway, he had a mech army with a lot of speeders and 2 whirlwinds(I think thats what their called). It was looking pretty down hill when my first squad of reapers went bye bye and my guardians were obliterated by the whirlwinds. But as soon as my warpspiders deep striked right behing his 4 speeders, bye bye Dark angles. My fire dragon squad in the falcon did a very good job also. I brought them slowly around the side of the field all the way to his remaining speeders, tech marine, whirlwind, and some other tank. The falcon destroyed the whirlwind on approuch then the fire dragons deeparted and attacked the tank while fuegan departed and slaughtered the tech marine. The falcon managed to destroy one speeder, immobilize the other and stun the third. In the same round my reapers destroyed the last one. Victory! I won by about 600pts. So glad im actually catching on to this game :biggrin:

I also played a smaller 1500 against the same guy's Sisters. I would have done a lot better if he didnt spamm his faith points... everything i attacked was invuln... I think the reapers did a much better job against the infantry in this game. Anything they attacked that was not invuln was gone (first round, took out his entire heavy bolter squad). My rangers were the first to go, then my wave serpent (I stuck my guardians in there just for fun...). The guardians got pinned and then had a stroke of good luck when they got to charge a near squad of bolters and flamers. I can see why dire avengers would be much deadlier in this case with bladestorm. My scorps were in the falcon and got to slaughter another squad of bolters while the falcon destroyed their transport. Another thing I tried this game was full phych powers. I notice the Eldritch Storm was not effective at all against troops but I destroyed 2 tanks with it. I also got the chance to play a Mind War against his HQ. I roled a 5 he roled a 2, and we added those to our equal leadership of 10. He died on the spot. It was a lot of fun and I plan on becoming much more involved warhammer40k

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have plenty of comments for you; but, please remove the breakdown costs first and then PM me with you list... I'll go over each unit, how to streamline it, use it with other units, etc. Or simply go to my website @ klucas.piczo.com

·
Registered
280 Posts
First off, please go back to your original post and use the modify/edit button to remove all of the breakdwon costs (as I did in my response). Unit totals and army list totals are fine though, to leave them. Also use this function to update your list as it save space... just post a reply saying that you modified.-HQ-
Total pts.
133-Farseer (with dark reapers)1
siningspear, Runes of witnessing, Spirit Stones, Doom, Guide,
(210) Eldrad just works better in the long run so I would go with him

205-Fuegan (with fire dragons)
or
195-Maugan Ra (with dark reapers)
(195) Maugan Ra can be better in the long run; but don't think that you need to limit yourself to him being with the DR... He can work very well on his own, and he can astually join units that are not "Aspect Warriors" so consider this option. If you want a guy that will join thier adpect though, then Fuegan is better for this.

-Elites-
133-6 Striking Scorpions(in Falcon)
Exarch, Scorpion's Claw, Biting Blade, Stalker
I saw that your switching this to more FD's, I would seriously suggest this.
(113) Fire Dragons - 6: Exarch with Dragons Breath Flamer and Crackshot. Use them on infantry as often as tanks and they will easily score their points back.

131-6 Fire Dragons(in Wave Serpent)
Exarch, Firepike, Tank Hunters,
If they are goin into a Wave Serpent then there is not need to limit yourself to 6, go for a more filled out squad and you will stil have room to take Fuegan with them if you choose. The Dragons Breath Flamer with Crack Shot is also a more effecient and effective config on the Exarch as you have plenty enough anti-tank with all the standard Fusion Guns. Also, when they dis-embark (its part of movement) Fuegan can un-join them so you can actually shoot/assault 2 enemy units respectively if you need to (Fuegan shoots the tank, FD's shoot the infantry that was inside, etc). PM me if you need more tactica on this, or if your unsure of how to turn them into a shoot and assault unit.

-Transport-
175-Wave SerpentU][/U]
Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones, Vectored engines
SS and VE are amust in this case (and you may consider Star engines as well). But the Bl and Shuri-can are not complimentary. Consider EML's so that the serpent can still work on tanks, but also has infantry options. And Shuri-cannons are only good if you plan on being real close to the enemy (which you should be) so this is where Star Engines will get you into possition earlier. A first turn move of 36" is brutal, put your rear armour to his table edge and wait.... if he assaults/shoots the Serpent it may get immobilized but it willprobably not get detroyed. Thus on turn 2, you can be shooting with all your guns, dis-embarking FD's and Fuegan to rip him a new one.

-Troops-
192-8 Rangers
pathfinders
Solid unit, use their Scout move to get them into turn 1 assaults if you need to, and thier potential to pin things down is insane. Not to mantion that again MC's they can sit in cover with realitive impunity while they remove the "Big Nasty".

175-14 Guardians
Missile Launcher, Warlock, (singing spear, Conceal)
Now here I dod things a lot differently.
(100) 10 Guardians Defenders: EML.
I know the unit looks crazy soft, but if you put them behind cover and use them to "Defend" they can be extrememly good. Set them up behind the cover (all of them) on your turn move just 1 of the plateform crew members out far enough to gain LOS to your intended target, take the shot. If he hits bonus, if he misses you now have 1 model that the enemy can actually see (and kill) which will never force a LD test, and you have another Crew member that you can repeat the process with. Just make sure that you keep unit cohernecy while you perform the manouver, and most enemies will not take the time to pick out 1 cheap figure while the rest of you army is being rammed down his throat; thus the Guardian Defenders, turn into a serious VP Denial tool that score you easy points.

175-14 Guardians
Missile Launcher, Warlock, (singing spear, Conceal)
See the above comment as anything that works well once, is just better if you can do it twice (and then start watching your opponents call Guardinas Cheesy)

-Fast Attack-

196-7 Warp Spiders
Exarch, DeathSpinner, Power Blades, Withdraw,
One of my favourite configurations and units, Do Not leave home without these guys (maybe drop/add 1 as points permit.

-Heavy Support-
140-4 Dark Reapers

147-3 Dark Reapers
Exarch, Missile Launcher, Fast Shot,
Personnally I think that both of these configs are fine, just try to keep them in 4+ or better cover, and try to limit the enemies return LOS on them as they do tend to go down quickly otherwise.

190-Falcon
Starcannon, Shuriken Cannon, Holo-fields, Spirit Stones,Vectored Engines,
Your math is off; but no problem.... Scatterlaser will get you more light vehicles than a Starcannon, just as many SMurf's, and does almost as well against MC's; only its way cheaper. Anyway take a look at this.
(200) Falcon: Pulse, Shuri-can, Catipult, HF, VE, SS, and Star....
Again use it to blast 36" across the table and use the table edge to protect your rear armour (yes you can even "Tank-shock" thorugh his troops to get there. Wait,, the Falcon may get Immobilized or loose a weapon but it will probably not get destroyed. You now can unload it (before it moves) if there are any enemies close enough to Shoot/assault, and if not, then you simply move over to the intended target unload and shoot it, or do the same manouver again forcing him to advance on your stationary units while you "Tank-shock" the crap out of him.

Holy crap that was long, sorry. I do hope it helps you out though, and I would like to see where you are now with this army (update your list - and give an explaination of each units uses if you can).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts