Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Is this a Table Worthy Paintjob?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Welcome! A couple of observations:
- Be sure to thin your paints. Usually that's 50/50 paint/water. I can see some brush strokes on the flat surfaces and that's symptomatic of thick paint. Trust me, it goes a long way toward improving your technique.
- Make the highlights subtle. Your highlights are extremely bright and a tad thick as well. I suggest you do 2 stages of highlights. The first would be a 3:1 mixture of your base color and a light green (such as the one you used for your highlights). The second highlight would be 1:1 mixture of your base color and the light green, applied very lightly and thinly to the extreme edges of the armor. Use an extreme detail brush for this.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! A couple of observations:
- Be sure to thin your paints. Usually that's 50/50 paint/water. I can see some brush strokes on the flat surfaces and that's symptomatic of thick paint. Trust me, it goes a long way toward improving your technique.
- Make the highlights subtle. Your highlights are extremely bright and a tad thick as well. I suggest you do 2 stages of highlights. The first would be a 3:1 mixture of your base color and a light green (such as the one you used for your highlights). The second highlight would be 1:1 mixture of your base color and the light green, applied very lightly and thinly to the extreme edges of the armor. Use an extreme detail brush for this.

Best of luck!
Thanks for the tips! I painted this guy earlier today (before reading your post) and i think this guy is a little better. I use caliban green for the basecoat, then a wash of nuln oil. Then cliban green again not covering the recesses. Then a highlight of warpstone glow, and then another highlight of moot green.
I definitely think this marine is better painted then the last:
http://s1288.beta.photobucket.com/user/DarkAngelsFan/media/56A72049-F10B-4D97-9EAD-8DB2FBC554B4-692-00000141B248AADC_zps7f7302b6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3
http://s1288.beta.photobucket.com/user/DarkAngelsFan/media/F8EDD90E-8490-49D7-9AD2-FBD5F14A6870-692-00000141B89D4B21_zps9cfa6d09.jpg.html?sort=3&o=2
http://s1288.beta.photobucket.com/user/DarkAngelsFan/media/57717CA4-0C48-49B9-9CC4-03AC2ACA1222-692-00000141BE6BA072_zpsb735cace.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
http://s1288.beta.photobucket.com/user/DarkAngelsFan/media/AF2878C0-9844-4C39-BD0F-21A56F5E112C-692-00000141C3F966B3_zpsf4a0438f.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
P.S. How do you thin your paints? Like in what container? Just on a pallette or in the pot?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'd like to be able to use a wet palette myself but for the life of me, I can't figure out how. I think a lot of people have the same issue, which is a shame because it would save a lot of hassle with paints drying up and such.

Personally, I'm forced to make do with the base of a used water bottle. Pringles lids also work well.

That second marine does look better. The wash looks to have improved the shading a lot, which helps. All you have to nail now is the highlighting. If you're going to use an ultra-bright color for your final highlight layer, just make sure you're using it sparingly on the extreme edges, where light would naturally collect.

·
Registered
35 Posts
it is hard to thin in the pot; especially as some techniques need different concentrations.

I use a wet palette that I made from an old takeway box, a sponge, and some baking paper. As well as thinning it makes keeping blended paints fluid much easier.
Any tips on how to make one? I think that would definitely help. Thanks!

I'd like to be able to use a wet palette myself but for the life of me, I can't figure out how. I think a lot of people have the same issue, which is a shame because it would save a lot of hassle with paints drying up and such.

Personally, I'm forced to make do with the base of a used water bottle. Pringles lids also work well.

That second marine does look better. The wash looks to have improved the shading a lot, which helps. All you have to nail now is the highlighting. If you're going to use an ultra-bright color for your final highlight layer, just make sure you're using it sparingly on the extreme edges, where light would naturally collect.
Thanks for the kind words about the second marine. I'm definitely very new to this so hopefully this isn't too bad for a first timer. Cheers!

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
That beats my piece of plastic bag taped over an old DVD case. Good call, Dave.

A lot of times I'll count how many brush-fulls of paint I put on the palette and match it with brush-fulls of water. More layers of watered down paint always looks better than thicker paint, but requires a bit more patience to get a solid finish on the model. Another thing I do is layers of different colours, for example on my Blood Angels project log, I find that going straight from a black base to my final red just doesn't look the same as doing a darker red in between them.

You're off to a great start!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used this tutorial to build my first one: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=108491.

I moved over to an airtight container instead of a plate because it lets me put the lid on to keep the paint even longer if I need to stop part way through.
Cheers! I'll definitely try that!

That beats my piece of plastic bag taped over an old DVD case. Good call, Dave.

A lot of times I'll count how many brush-fulls of paint I put on the palette and match it with brush-fulls of water. More layers of watered down paint always looks better than thicker paint, but requires a bit more patience to get a solid finish on the model. Another thing I do is layers of different colours, for example on my Blood Angels project log, I find that going straight from a black base to my final red just doesn't look the same as doing a darker red in between them.

You're off to a great start!
Thanks! I find that doing a base coat, then a wash, then another base oat helps me achieve the colour I'm looking for,leaving the recesses though. Thanks for the kind words ill post a pic of my dreadnought tonight...here's the thread:
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1338361&posted=1#post1338361

1 - 9 of 9 Posts