Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worked on some terrain over the weekend, first time doing this and i think they turned out pretty well.

The rocks:
Foam board shaped with a dremal, covered in drywall spackle, spray painted black, then dry brushed with dawnstone and pallid wych flesh.

I tried covering one with grass, this turned out just ok. On my other flat top hills i'm going to try the same overall scheme but with more patchy grass cover.

Ruins:
Made from an amazon shipping box, covered in spackle, then lightly misted with black spray paint with heavier spots to look like burn damage.

Bunkers:
Keurig K-Cup boxes giving the same treatment as the ruins after having the firing points cut out. The K-Cup boxes are the perfect scale for this.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Excellent work :good: They look really good.

One quick practical question... On the rocks - will a figure stand on the middle 'step' as it looks a bit small from the photo? It's a real pain if the ledge is a bit small so the figures base sticks out and it falls off at the slightest knock of the gaming table!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The small rock on the left can hold one infantry base on it without it falling off. The middle step on the right rock can comfortably hold a couple models. The bottom step of that one is about 6" long.

These were my test pieces that I wanted to try out the painting scheme on before doing my bigger hills. In the picture that has the mossy rock you can see my two bigger hills that have fully flat surfaces that can fit 10 or so infantry models. Those bigger (white) hills are also what the foam looked like after the spackle but before the painting.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone! I was really hesitant at first having never done it before but after seeing that foam board is so cheap i decided to go ahead and try it out. The spackle was improvised since i happened to have a 10lb tub of it sitting the closet. I figured it would give a good texture to the buildings and was pleasantly surprised but how it looked on the foam hills. I'm really happy with how they turned out and glad i decided to build it myself rather than buy premade pieces.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts