Mark Of Slaanesh
Full command 30points
Ensorcelled weapons
240points

978points

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Seems fine. A unit of 10 warhounds isn't going to do much, though-- I'd break them into two units of 5 to be deployment dummies so your important stuff goes down where you need it after seeing where your opponent is placing units, or just drop 'em altogether. I like warhounds, don't get me wrong-- but at less than 2000 points Warriors of Chaos are already fighting uphill a little bit since they don't scale down well, and those are points that could be going into putting more bodies into the Chaos Warrior unit.

With that in mind, I think I'd cut the warhounds entirely, and bump the Warrior unit to at least 14 (which makes it 15-strong when the Exalted Champion joins it. He's joining it, right? Right.). With your leftover points already, on top of the 70 freed up from the Warhounds, you can bring another 5 Warriors. That gives you a 17-strong unit, or 18 with the Champion; you can run them at 6x3 like that.

I'd also consider the +2S or +2A sword out of the main rulebook for the Exalted Hero-- the Sword of Change is cool and all, but you need to just be doling out wounds as quickly as possible to minimize the disadvantage of being heavily outnumbered. The Exalted Hero is going to spend his time not in challenges, but clearing ranks-- it's the unit champion's job to issue the challenge and eat that particular bag of dicks (and since they're Warriors, they actually win challenges more than you might expect a unit champion to.)

·
Registered
483 Posts
First of all, your list is illegal - you have more than 250pts in the Hero slot. It's an either or for WoC at the 1K lvl - either magic or no magic.

I have to disagree w/ SoH on the hounds. You need something to control the movement phase and in a 1K game, the hounds are going to be your throw away units. Use them as redirectors and/or bullet shields. Every army needs chaff - WoC run on it. Do split them into 2 units of 5 though. They have crap Ld and 10 have the possibility of dying/fleeing as quickly as 5.

Second, I'm not a huge fan of marauders. Marauders are pretty meh in this book (we'll save the nerd rage for later). 10 marauders will drop in no time to anyone who has any kind of ranged attack. I'd take one of the marauder units and make it a unit of marauder horsemen and get rid of the 2nd unit of marauders and throw in a chariot. Give them all MoS and you're golden.

Love the knights! In larger games they are pretty underrated and can do quite a bit of damage. In small games, expect them to be targeted by every bit of shooting and magic. Get rid of the champion. Unless you have a character riding along, the champion is fairly useless. The extra points for just 1 attack isn't really worth it.

Here's a list I came up with:

Lvl 2 Sorcerer w/ MoS, Enchanted Shield, Dispel Scroll - 180
16 Warriors w/ MoS, Shields, Full Command - 286
5 Marauder Horsemen w/ MoS, Flails, Musician - 95
5 Hounds w/ Vanguard - 40
Chariot w/ MoS - 115
5 Knights w/ MoS, Ensorcelled Weapons, Standard, Musician - 240
TOTAL: 996

All that being said, you're obviously building your list based off of the battalion box w/ a character or 2 tacked on. If you're set on doing that route only, I'd give both units of marauders flails and skip the armor and unit champions.

Maybe something more like this:

Lvl 2 Sorcerer w/ MoS, Enchanted Shield, Dragonbane Gem, Sword of Might, Chaos Familiar - 205
12 Warriors w/ MoS, Shields, Full Command, Standard of Discipline - 237
10 Marauders w/ MoS, Flails, Standard, Musician - 110
10 Marauders w/ MoS, Flails, Standard, Musician - 110
5 Knights w/ MoS, Ensorcelled Weapons, Standard, Musician, Banner of Swiftness - 255
TOTAL: 997

Hope this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts