Full Command

50 Gnoblars - 100

SPECIAL - 440
4 Leadbelchers - 220

4 Leadbelchers - 220

RARE - 150
Gorger - 75

Gorger - 75

Bruiser and Tyrant join the 16 Bull unit. 2 smaller units will be positioned on one flank of the large unit with gnoblars and ironguts on the other. Leadbelchers will have one unit each at the very edges of either flank shooting inwards.

This is my first fantasy list so feel free to tear it apart, and any suggestions are hugely appreciated.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
OK, whistle-stop review... will add more when I get back from work.

Tyrant needs defensive items, he moves most of your army from Ld7-9 so is vital. I like greedy fist+wyrdstone+luck gnoblar but talisman of protection is good too (and greatskull is funny as hell).

You've hit the classic problem with the slaughtermaster- he can only have 1 arcane item, so must drop either the scroll or the skullmantle, and both are fantastic. I take skullmantle and bloodcleaver but thats just my choice. In a 3k game I would use all his item allowance- if nothing else 3 gnoblar thiefstones are great, giving the unit a 4++ ward against magic (and him a save against self-inflicted gut magic wounds).

I dont like magical BSBs for ogres, prefering to keep the BSB alive rather then bounde magic... but its certainly a good choice. Playtest a bit and if he dies too much change down.

I would increase the bulls to 18 at least- at I2 they'll strike after taking wounds, so you want a few spare.
The rest looks fine except I would get banners and musicians in most units (and I hate leadbelchers... but thats just me).
Gorgers are pure win, but so is the scraplauncher; get one if you can.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
LORDS - 535
Tyrant - 290
Thundermace
Crown of Command
very agressive lord, but too easily killed for my liking. If nothing else I would give him a dragonhelm and heavy armour just to give him a 4+ armour save... but I would move the crown of command to the BSB and lose the magicl banner. That gives you 45points for magical defence for the tyrant. My personal favorite trio of items are the greedy fist, wyrdstone and dragonbane gem (plus heavy armour and a luck gnoblar for a 4+/5++ with a reroll and eats magical weapons).

Slaughtermaster - 245
Dispel Scroll
Skullmantle
As I said you have 2 arcane items and have to lose 1. I would keep the skullmantle since it gets round steadfast/stubborn so is enormously helpful.

HEROES - 175
Bruiser - 175
BSB
Rune Maw
rune maw is great, but I would take it on a BSB because it leaves yu far too wasy to kill. I said I would move the crown of command to him (and then run him with the tyrant) which is a nice start, then you can also give him a gold sigil sword and send him into challenges: he'll kill most enemies before they attack him... and if nothing else ASF wont get rerolls to hit him.
If you are going purely defensive then heavy armour, talisman of preservation and enchanted shield is the best combo: 3+/4++ means he's pretty hard to shift (which is what you want from a BSB).

CORE - 1704
16 Bulls - 590
Crusher
Bellower
Not a fan of crushers, switch to a banner instead. You cant have magical banners on bulls (which is almost certain to change with a new army book, its ludicrous) but its worth the permanent +1 res... and especially if you play a blood and glory game (1in6 games are won based on banners).

8 Bulls - 290
Bellower
ok unit, but again I would add a banner.

8 Bulls - 290
Bellower

8 Ironguts - 434
Full Command
gutlords are more worthwhile, especially for challenging enemy characters (and trying to get the +50VP) but Im still not a great fan.

50 Gnoblars - 100
fine, if they work. I find gnoblars too slow to be useful.

SPECIAL - 440
4 Leadbelchers - 220

4 Leadbelchers - 220
vast personal bias against these guys clouds my judgement... mine always blow themselves up (always isnt even much of an exageration). If they work for you take them.. but I kinda doubt it. If you are shooting at swordmasters (perfect targets) means an average 20 shots, 10 hits 7 wounds with no save (105pts killed) with a wound taken by your leadbelchers in return (~20 pts lost) and thats as good as it gets. A stand and shoot reaction agaist goblins is about as bad as it gets: 20 shots, 7 hits and 4.5 killed (~14pts) while you again take about 1W on average (~20pts). So the leadbelchers can often kill more points worth of your own army then they do of an enemy... and if you have my luck they'll pretty much just kill themselves, panic and break while missing the enemy entirely :cray:

RARE - 150
Gorger - 75

Gorger - 75
pretty much the best ogre unit, gorgers are fantastic.

Bruiser and Tyrant join the 16 Bull unit. 2 smaller units will be positioned on one flank of the large unit with gnoblars and ironguts on the other. Leadbelchers will have one unit each at the very edges of either flank shooting inwards.

This is my first fantasy list so feel free to tear it apart, and any suggestions are hugely appreciated.
So, not a bad list overall... but I would alter a few bits and pieces. You might want to get a hold of a scraplauncher or 2 as they are brilliant things... but they are costly and designed to drive anyone insane (hellish to put together and fall apart at the drop of a hat).

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input. Re-wrote the list with the suggestions taken into account.

LORDS - 596
Tyrant - 306
Thundermace
Wyrdstone Necklace
Greedy Fist
Heavy Armour
Luck Gnoblar

Slaughtermaster - 290
Skullmantle
Sword of Swift Slaying
3x Thiefstones

HEROES - 209
Bruiser - 209
BSB
Crown of Command
Heavy Armour
Gold Sigil Sword

CORE - 1340
19 Bulls - 695
Bellower
Standard

8 Bulls - 310
Standard
Banner

8 Bulls - 310
Standard
Banner

8 Ironguts - 459
Full Command
Rune Maw

SPECIAL - 275
5 Leadbelchers - 275

RARE - 150
Gorger - 75

Gorger - 75

Done most of what was suggested. The sword is on the slaughtermaster to fill the 25 point gap I had. I'll also playtest with the leadbelchers first, I like the idea of handcannons just spewing forth random bits of debris, but if they don't do well the next thing on my purchase list will be a scraplauncher.

Hoping for a comment for this list because I don't want to buy anything until it's all sorted out.

EDIT: Changed the leadbelchers to 5 and added the rune maw to the ironguts. That's what I get trying to redo a list when I'm about to fall asleep.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I like the list but you can only have a max of 5 leadbelchers in a unit and ideally they need the champion for wound allocation(probably the only unit I'd take champions in.)
The Ironguts are the only unit in your army that can carry a magic banner and as the runemaw is the best magic defense available possibly even in the whole game they should carry it to protect your characters.
All I'd really change in this list is drop the extra leadbelcher and the gutlord on the ironguts then add a champ for the leadies and runemaw on the ironguts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts