Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i come from playing nids and just picked up a new army and was wondering what you guys think about my first attempt at a list.

HQ:
Eldrad 205pts
Farseer 100pts

Elite:
Wraithblades x5, Waveserpent 275pts
Wraithguard x5 160pts

Troop:
Dire Avengers x10 with Exarch, Wave Serpent, twin Starcannon, Shuriken Cannon, 270pts
Dire Avengers x10 with Exarch, Wave Serpent, twin brightlance, Shuriken Cannon, 270pts
Guardian x10 wps platform, Bright lance, Wave Serpent twin Brightlance, Shuriken catapults, 230pts

Heavy:
War Walkers x2 both have Bightlance, scatter laser 140 pts
Wraithlord, Brightlance, Scatter laser 160pts

So thats my list, fast with troops and some mid lvl strength weapons for enemy vehicles. Then the Wraithlord for heavy support and draw fire away from troops. I have 40 points to spare any ideas?

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
HQ) you should do well with only eldrad or two regularisering farseers if you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket.

Elite) the blades are a great bodyguard for a farseer. And since they can't assult from abwave Serpent. The guard is better in a wave serpent. Take scythes and fit a 6th member to the squad.

Troops) if you aint taking shimmershield to those exarch they are a waste o points. Holo-Fields to the serpents is a must. Two small squads of bikes are great for last turn objective grabbing/contesting.

Heavy) I think you have enough BL from the wave serpents, change to Starcannon or shuriCannon.
Wraithlord can do with the brightlance alone.

Now I don't know where this leaves you pointwise but an aegis with laser would be fine for your guardians to camp behind. A flier if the points are there. I could easily have just 8 DA per squad etc.

·
Registered
59 Posts
HQ:
Eldrad 205pts
Farseer 100pts
(i would drop eldrad, get a wraithseer instead as allied hq)
Elite:
Wraithblades x5, Waveserpent 275pts
Wraithguard x5 160pts
(these become your allied detachment troops, swap the wave to the guards, change the build of the wave: holo, twin scatter, shuri cannon is less pricy and works better imho, also swap the weapons on the guards for d scythes)
Troop:
Dire Avengers x10 with Exarch, Wave Serpent, twin Starcannon, Shuriken Cannon, 270pts
Dire Avengers x10 with Exarch, Wave Serpent, twin brightlance, Shuriken Cannon, 270pts
Guardian x10 wps platform, Bright lance, Wave Serpent twin Brightlance, Shuriken catapults, 230pts
(drop the dire squads to 5 man without exarch and change the waves as above mentioned)

Heavy:
War Walkers x2 both have Bightlance, scatter laser 140 pts
Wraithlord, Brightlance, Scatter laser 160pts

(not sure on these heavies, if you miss anti tank, i'd go for dragons on waves tbh)

·
Registered
59 Posts
You want 5 man squads since being the wave their transport it gains objective secured, the guys are supposed to pass most of the time sitting in their waves, not running around the field (and essentially in my experience, 10 man squads with T3 and 4+ don't live long under fire even with 10 mans anyways).
The heavies are fine, mine was just a suggestion, simply put the scatters on them will just work as twinlinking against heav armoured targets (wich should be their target, being them the carriers of anti tank weapons).
With the setup for waves i suggested you'll have less power against AV 13-14 but the waves should be able to handle infantry, MCs and light to mid armoured veichles.
Also if you still have to build the wraithblades, i'd play double unit of wraithguards, one for sure with d-scythes, the second will be fine either way, i personally prefer d-scythes since they make the guards a target that's hard to charge if the opponent doesn't have a sacrficial unit to blow the reaction fire, and keep them pretty good against any kind of living thing in the game that stands on the ground (ID on 6s on a ap 2 weapon is always nice when you fire 5-6 of them, even a MC is probably dead, barring invulnerable saves).
The guardians, will be better off going footslogging with, if you have the points to spare, a warlock giving them shrouded (or a farseer giving them the same if he goes for telepathy).
A question, wich powers you go for on your farseer/s? if you go for blessing heavy schools you'll want the caster on the ground, since they can't cast anything while on board of our veichles, usually i go for telepathy (invisibility and the psychic scream are really gold) or the eldar runes (nice buffs, decent wichfires, and the occasional useful debuff).

Sorry for the wall of text, or if i seemed a bit too harsh/annoying but i've written it after an hangover (i hope to have kept typos to a minimum):grin:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You want 5 man squads since being the wave their transport it gains objective secured, the guys are supposed to pass most of the time sitting in their waves, not running around the field (and essentially in my experience, 10 man squads with T3 and 4+ don't live long under fire even with 10 mans anyways).
The heavies are fine, mine was just a suggestion, simply put the scatters on them will just work as twinlinking against heav armoured targets (wich should be their target, being them the carriers of anti tank weapons).
With the setup for waves i suggested you'll have less power against AV 13-14 but the waves should be able to handle infantry, MCs and light to mid armoured veichles.
Also if you still have to build the wraithblades, i'd play double unit of wraithguards, one for sure with d-scythes, the second will be fine either way, i personally prefer d-scythes since they make the guards a target that's hard to charge if the opponent doesn't have a sacrficial unit to blow the reaction fire, and keep them pretty good against any kind of living thing in the game that stands on the ground (ID on 6s on a ap 2 weapon is always nice when you fire 5-6 of them, even a MC is probably dead, barring invulnerable saves).
The guardians, will be better off going footslogging with, if you have the points to spare, a warlock giving them shrouded (or a farseer giving them the same if he goes for telepathy).
A question, wich powers you go for on your farseer/s? if you go for blessing heavy schools you'll want the caster on the ground, since they can't cast anything while on board of our veichles, usually i go for telepathy (invisibility and the psychic scream are really gold) or the eldar runes (nice buffs, decent wichfires, and the occasional useful debuff).

Sorry for the wall of text, or if i seemed a bit too harsh/annoying but i've written it after an hangover (i hope to have kept typos to a minimum):grin:
lol I love the advice and Ill take it to heart, I come from playing nids and Ill admit my first game with eldar I played it far to much like nids lol, lost very badly. And for my farseer im not sure what to use for powers on him, and I do have lots of warlocks I can use. The armies Ill be mostly playing againt are Tau...Necrons, Deamons and space marines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.