Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone clarify this?

Do models in base to base contact with a defense line grant the enemy a cover save when shooting from it, as it is quite tall and potentially obscures line of sight?

My opponent said my guard behind an aegis (in btb contact with it) grant him a cover save too even though his orks are way on the otherside of the board. I find it strange that a wall being garrisoned by troops would impede their firing but can find no rules to back it up.

Can you find any rules to support either interpretation?

Thanks

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Models right up against the Defence Line would be able to see over it, as you draw Line of Sight from the model's eyes, but anyone far enough away (or if the Orks were close enough) would indeed grant the Orks a cover save.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Is the 2" rule still in place? Then you need to be within 2" of the obstacle or your target gets the cover save.
Funny you should mention that - I had this exact quesrion using an Aegis Line in 6th, and we found no such 2" rule in the rulebook. As far as I'm aware, it's not in 7th either.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Can anyone clarify this?

Do models in base to base contact with a defense line grant the enemy a cover save when shooting from it, as it is quite tall and potentially obscures line of sight?
If they obscure line of sight then he is technically correct, but it has to be a significant portion of the model (forget the actual amount I want to say its 25%). But! If the model is obscured by the defense line then he gets a 5+ save..

The Lesson is to make sure you place your units on the defense line in a way they can see 'over it'..

(Note, you always have the benefit of the doubt with LOS calls ('Models eyes view sidebar')..)

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
If they obscure line of sight then he is technically correct, but it has to be a significant portion of the model (forget the actual amount I want to say its 25%). But! If the model is obscured by the defense line then he gets a 5+ save..

The Lesson is to make sure you place your units on the defense line in a way they can see 'over it'..

(Note, you always have the benefit of the doubt with LOS calls ('Models eyes view sidebar')..)
Almost all right, but being obscured by a defence line gives you a 4+ cover save, no matter which side of the line you happen to be on.

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
Almost all right, but being obscured by a defence line gives you a 4+ cover save, no matter which side of the line you happen to be on.
Yep you are correct, I just checked.. in fact if they had gone to ground they would have also been given a +2 as well!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts