Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I'm extremely excited for these rules for a few reasons:

For one thing, depending on how you kit it out, I could EASILY see this as being a new alternative to the Stormraven for Blood Angels. It's almost a Transport for them, without the risk of losing the models inside. Fly it in, launch that Revelation Missile, drop a beacon, and next turn you're dumping a squad (or 3) of Angels down on people's head, no questions asked, with the support of a metric ton of infantry killing weaponry to help clear their landing zone.

For another thing, with some clever converting, you don't need to use the FW model. A Stormraven, while too small to really look like a decent transport (read: Chapterhouse extension pieces), could feasibly be a decent flying tank. Remove the top gunner cockpit and the hurricane bolters, install in some turret firepower from other models (Chaos Gunship with a Defiler's Autocannon, anyone?) and you easily have the Fire Raptor done cheap. Just need to find some nice Avenger Cannons for the nose.

The cost of the model really seems reasonable, in my opinion. It's durable as any flier out there, with the option of Ceramite on top of that. It can lay waste to just about anything, and do it better than the Stormraven's Hurricane Bolters. No rending from the assault cannons, but more shots in general, more range, better AP in the Avenger, and higher strength in the autocannon options.

And lastly... I just found a flier for my Chaos army. Yes, I love the Heldrake, but I've been looking for something solid that I could use that wasn't so... monster'y. Having access to a solid flying tank like this? You don't even need Possession. Just put in the Reaper Batteries and you've got a monster at 36" able to wipe nearly anything out in its fly-bys. Hellstrike missiles for good measure, and not a terrible pricetag (not much higher than the Helldrake, honestly). Downside is simply that no one gives two snarks about a Warpsmith to add a second in.

And yes, I could easily see an Iron Hands army with a Master of the Forge running two of these bad boys.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Oh that is smexy. If I had the cashflow I'd be picking one up along with 2 Storm Eagles for my Minotaurs (1 SE for Moloc, 1 for Enkomi and one of this to make it all complete and shit).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts