Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Sorry for the necro, but I pre-ordered the book ages ago and it;s been sitting on my 'in' pile for ages and over the last couple days I finally sat down and devoured it.

I loved it! But them I'm used to negotiating multi-track stories with flashbacks and whatnot woven in. Seven-thousand pages of Peter F Hamilton has made it so I think it's weird when there's only one plot thread to follow.

The story was dark and twisted and chaotic, which fit the tone nicely. It was brutal and disjointed and not everything got answered to the asker's liking, but there weren't really any loose ends. It was a story about a brutal, disjointed place.

That said, it was super grimdark, chock full of grimdark, wrist-cuttingly grimdark. In short: everything I expect from 40k fiction not involving Commissar Cane or the hijkinks of Deff Skwadron.

And like LtoN, I don;t really care for non-Cain guard books, but this one was as brilliant as it was brutal.
I'd even suggest it to people I know who know very little about 40k as a great intruduction to the setting.

If anyone wants to talk about it I'm up for it.

PS: This has me looking at guard again...can't decide if I want to do tau'd up renegades or come up with some specialty Arkan stuff (not sure how you'd do the knights though...allied marines? Sisters?)

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
If anyone wants to talk about it I'm up for it.

Actually i've spoken, or corresponded, with the author and he has told me one or two things regarding what you've said.

LotN

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Wow, I am absolutely ready for more from this guy. I want to read Outcaste but I think it's only available on itunes.

All of those things sound awesome. I'd love to see more Arkan...the whole post civil war steampunk jive is super hot right now, GW should ride that wave.

Man, I really want to make some Arkans right now...

There's bound to be a bunch of readily available civil war minis, just swap in lasguns, or even just modify the old rifles with lasgun tips and power packs... punk up some sentinels...attached SM Captain in arty armor and a squad of marines for knights...boltguns aren't that far off from heavy stubbers. A little slower, a little shorter range but same strength and better ap, they'll do as a stand-in...and you could find some really cool steampunk minis for them...

·
Registered
364 Posts
Its a very strange novel - i read it 4 times - and complete the full circle from hate to ignorance - to interest - to delight. Really waiting more from him.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hi all-
Bumping this thread a bit after what, close to two years.
I just posted the first part of an interview with Peter Fehervari on my blog.

Just finished a re-read of Fire Caste recently once I had found out that his newest short, the AM story Vanguard, was going to be set on Phaedra. The book still holds up as a classic, and Vanguard is chock full of connected storylines and character updates.

Check out the interview here: http://hachisnaxreads.blogspot.com/2015/05/hachisnax-interviews-peter-fehervari.html

·
Registered
100 Posts
once I had found out that his newest short, the AM story Vanguard, was going to be set on Phaedra. The book still holds up as a classic, and Vanguard is chock full of connected storylines and character updates.
Excellent I am a big fan of Fire Caste and will have to give Vanguard a read

21 - 26 of 26 Posts