Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well sort of. These pictures were taken before the snow had fully dried.

The black shield is a combination of inspiration and laziness. At first I couldn't decide what to put there but in the end I liked the way it looked that I kept it. My justification now is that the Knight is part of a disgraced Knight House serving penance to the Ecclesiarchy (hence the Freeblade icon as well).

The icicles came from one of the GW basing kits and are supposed to be for the ground pointing up, but I just liked the idea of it being so cold that they've formed on the knight anyways that he got decked out instead.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
nice and clean work, altough those shoulderpads looks somewhat empty...
love the icicles but i must point out that when the knight moves, they will broke and fell apart :p

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Zion i do believe this is the first model i have ever seen painted by you and i gotta admit i love it. I will share that the shield and bare shoulder pads kind leave it lacking (i think awash and a highlight would have been enough to make the bronze stand out) but i love the model as a whole. I don't even care if the icicles would break off when he moved they look great.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Nice colour scheme Zion and nice smooth finish to the paint job.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Cracking job! :good:

Loving the icicles, it's a nifty little touch :)

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nice and clean work, altough those shoulderpads looks somewhat empty...
love the icicles but i must point out that when the knight moves, they will broke and fell apart :p
Icicles don't always fall off a car when you drive it. :p

Zion i do believe this is the first model i have ever seen painted by you and i gotta admit i love it. I will share that the shield and bare shoulder pads kind leave it lacking (i think awash and a highlight would have been enough to make the bronze stand out) but i love the model as a whole. I don't even care if the icicles would break off when he moved they look great.
I actually have put a wash into the panel lines, but I don't want to wash the large flat areas because that's something that doesn't always work right. I know he's a bit plainer for it but I think the simplicity works well.

Nice colour scheme Zion and nice smooth finish to the paint job.
Thanks! Once I started actually painting him it didn't take long to get him finished but I will admit I'm not super excited if I were do another one right this minute.

Cracking job! :good:

Loving the icicles, it's a nifty little touch :)
Thanks! I like the icicles too. I know they're a bit silly but I think they're the right kind of silly that works well with the model.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Icicles don't always fall off a car when you drive it.
eh, there's difference over a car and a ground pounding towering metal machine. But the rule of cool wins!

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I like it a lot nice and clean. I love the icicles those are a great touch. I wish I had the disposable funds to get one that just looks too cool.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I think this guy is looking pretty cool. There are a few things that I think I'd add. The bronze on the lower rim of the pauldrons is looking thin, like the blue base coat is showing through. I'd do another layer there, and much the same on the silver vents on the back.

The back of the legs could use some bronze to break up all the metal.

The icicles are a neat idea, yeah they might break off but who cares. The part of the icicles which isn't working for is, "what are they attached to?"

Icicles are typically an extension of the snow and ice on a roof or power line. Really large icicles have masses of ice/snow to anchor them. Perfect example: Philadelphia Ice Castle.

I think you need some snow on it's back and shoulders. There's snow under the knight and the knight has icicles. Where's the precipitation that melted and froze to become icicles? And maybe a little on the back but with big rings around the vents and smoke stacks to suggest the heat coming out.

Edit: and on second look add some black or nuln oil dots in the shroud of the melta weapon. It would help add done depth.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think this guy is looking pretty cool. There are a few things that I think I'd add. The bronze on the lower rim of the pauldrons is looking thin, like the blue base coat is showing through. I'd do another layer there, and much the same on the silver vents on the back.
I've already got more than 4 coats on there. And it's actually Gehenna's Gold aka a Red-Gold.

The silver vents are actually intentionally a bit dirty (they were painted in Ironbreaker, washed with Nuln Oil and then lighty overbrushed with Ironbreaker again to give them a dingy look).

The back of the legs could use some bronze to break up all the metal.
I disagree. In my mind at least the skeleton under the armor plates should be fairly plain.

The icicles are a neat idea, yeah they might break off but who cares. The part of the icicles which isn't working for is, "what are they attached to?"
If you ever flip a Knight upside down you'll see a lot of lipped surfaces on the carapace and pauldrons. That's what they're attached to.

Icicles are typically an extension of the snow and ice on a roof or power line. Really large icicles have masses of ice/snow to anchor them. Perfect example: Philadelphia Ice Castle.

I think you need some snow on it's back and shoulders. There's snow under the knight and the knight has icicles. Where's the precipitation that melted and froze to become icicles? And maybe a little on the back but with big rings around the vents and smoke stacks to suggest the heat coming out.
I see where you're coming with this and it's something I'll consider but can't promise. Especially on the back as there isn't a lot of room to put things back there with said stacks and vents.

Edit: and on second look add some black or nuln oil dots in the shroud of the melta weapon. It would help add done depth.
I've been considering distressing it, but haven't 100% settled on what method I want to use exactly.

·
Closet Dictator
3,435 Posts
Loving the icicles, would you consider snow/ice/frost on patches of or recessess on the carapace? Or a bit of dirt such as smut from a blast mark in the rather pristine snow? Cookie time boom!

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
You're welcome to disagree with me.

As for the shroud, I didn't mean that so much for distressing as shadowing, for depth and contrast. Granted, scorching on melta weapons can look pretty good if that's the direction you were thinking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts