Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Phonetical questions

hey guys, was reading about my Orks and squads in general and i have some questions about it. first off, i cant tell if a "unit" is the amount of that character i.e. a nob unit being five characters, or the entire squad so 5nobz plus 10 orks, the reason i ask this is because my painboy confers the feel no pain rule to his unit, is that the four nobz and hinself or whoevers in the squad like boyz and such?

my other question is with the force organization chart, it says for a standard mission (i play about 750 points) you need an HQ and two troop choices, is this two squads of troops or two units of troops? so would i be able to have a squad of 5nobz and ten boyz with a warboss somewhere and be a legitament army?

and finally squads, is there set rules for putting characters together as long as they stay with their composition or are squads just the units alone?

sorry for all the nooby questions, but im new and our assault on black reach rule book has alot of odd words that arent thouroughly explained like a unit and squad and what exactly those consist of.

any help is appreciated, thanks guys

·
Registered
468 Posts
hey guys, was reading about my Orks and squads in general and i have some questions about it. first off, i cant tell if a "unit" is the amount of that character i.e. a nob unit being five characters, or the entire squad so 5nobz plus 10 orks, the reason i ask this is because my painboy confers the feel no pain rule to his unit, is that the four nobz and hinself or whoevers in the squad like boyz and such?
Any entry from the relevant codex is classed as a unit, so the 5 nobz are a unit and the boyz are a seperate unit, they cannot be joined together. Your painboy is an upgrade to the nobz squad so the feelno pain rule only applies to the unit he is a part of so that would be the nobz.

my other question is with the force organization chart, it says for a standard mission (i play about 750 points) you need an HQ and two troop choices, is this two squads of troops or two units of troops? so would i be able to have a squad of 5nobz and ten boyz with a warboss somewhere and be a legitament army?
In the codexes for each army every entry regardless of type (eg infantry, jump infantry, walker, vehicle... whatever) is classed as a unit.

When it says you must have 1 HQ and 2 troops, each unit is from a certain section on the codex so for example in the black reach set you have a space marine captain who would be from the HQ section, some terminators and a dreadnought which are from the Elites section and a tactical squad from the Troops section.

i'll quickly run down the orks
Warboss = HQ
Nobz = Elite
Boyz = Troops
Deffcoptas = Fast Attack

Now i don't own orkz so i don't know if you can make a legal army from the black reach set but if you split the boyz into 2 squads that should make 2 seperate units of boyz giving you 2 units from the troops section of the ork codex and your warboss makes up the HQ giving you the required 1 HQ and 2 Troops. I'm assuming you don't have the ork codex yet?

and finally squads, is there set rules for putting characters together as long as they stay with their composition or are squads just the units alone?
This depends on the type of character you want to put in the squad, a warboss has the independent Charachter special rule meaning he can join another squad like the nobs or boyz when he's within 2". He can also leave during the movement phase as soon as he moves more than 2" away from any member of the squad.

There's also upgrade characters that can be joined to a squad but this is permenant, such as your painboy you have in your nobz, he is purchased as part of the nobz and cannot leave.

In summary UNIT is any entry from the codex
Squad is a group of models that form a single unit, no member can leave the unit but a unit with the independent character rule(almost always a single model unit) can join a squad eg the warboss or sm captain.

Hope that was clear enough, if not post again here or send me a PM and i'll try help out some more. If you have the mini rulebook from the box (not the crappy black reach sheet thing) handy that helps with pointing out the relevent pages that you can read.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ok, so i need two troop or troop choice squads to have a legal army?

so one squad of twenty orks wont cut it at a unit comp of ten?

is it possible to have a squad of say ten boyz, 5 nobz and a gretchin unit, meaning that wounds on the squad could be located to gretchins or do squads have to consist of one unit type?

is there a point limitation to a squad or a base amount of squads?

and if it helps, the nobz are troops if you have a warboss in the army

·
Super Moderator
5,719 Posts
Each army list unit entry is a separate unit entirely. You cannot join them together. so you may not have a unit/squad consisting of Boyz, Gretchin and Nobz.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh damn, ive been playing extremely cheaply then, thanks guys, gotta go strategize then:grin:

·
Registered
468 Posts
ok, so i need two troop or troop choice squads to have a legal army?

so one squad of twenty orks wont cut it at a unit comp of ten?
you can have 2 seperate squads of 10 boyz sure, thats 2 units of troops. not that you don't buy 1 squad and then split them, you buy each squad seperatley

is it possible to have a squad of say ten boyz, 5 nobz and a gretchin unit, meaning that wounds on the squad could be located to gretchins or do squads have to consist of one unit type?
those are all spererate units and you cannot join them together, squads consist of whatever is listed in thier codex entry for example a boyz squad are 10-30 boyz with the option to upgrade 1 to a nob.

is there a point limitation to a squad or a base amount of squads?
limitations are set by the codex and it's usualy a model or upgrade limit, it's rare to ever see a limit on points for a unit i think only the REALLY old codexs have this
It looks like you're confusion is coming from the wording. On page 3 of the main rulebook (the one with the hammer and shield on the front) there's 2 sections labeled "Models" and "Units", then on page 4 and 5 it details the "Unit types" having a read through that should help clear things up.

Really you can forget about the word "squad" and simply replace it with "unit", then you're left with "models" and "units". A model is any 1 miniature and a unit is any single entry from the codex.

A warboss is a unit, 10-30 boyz is a unit, 10-30 gretchin and 1 runtherder is a unit and 1-5 deffcoptas is a unit

From that you can say no unit can join another unit UNLESS it has a rule to say it can eg independent character special rule.

(The specific rules for independent characters are on page 47 to 49 of the rule book.)

Now we can easily say that the gretchin, boyz and/or deffcoptas cannot be joined together as they are seperate units, but the warboss can join the gretchin, boyz or the deffcoptas(just an example don't join a warboss to deffcoptas or gork and mork will cry then stomp on your face) as he has the IC special rule allowing him to do so.

·
Registered
246 Posts
A unit of Nobs can be taken as a troops choice! The cheapest way to do so is include a Warboss. This is mentioned in the Warboss stats p.97 of the ork codex. And so the Black reach set can produce a legal Ork force.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts