Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been a long 8 or so years since I last touched the Warhammer 40k Universe - I've found myself with alot of time on my hands, and I thought to myself I would try my hand and painting and enjoying it as I once did as a teenager. I can see ALOT has changed in this time, new armies, codex's, rules to name just a few. I originally dabbled with Imperial Guard all those years ago, but I (well I at least hope) have improved somewhat with my painting skills since then and would like to start a fresh.

First and foremost is the obviously question - which army should I decide on. I have been doing alot of reading over the last few days and I believe I have it narrowed down to a three; Necrons, Tyranids or Dark Elder. From what I can understand Tyranids and DEldar have recently had some updates (the former, Tyranid, being met with some disgruntled veterans) while Necrons still lag behind in the Unit/Codex department. From an ease-of-play I believe it is a Necron win this round, with DEldar coming in as the hardest and Tyranid's have a generally hard time beating a majority of the 'top tier' Armies. From a ease of painting perspective, I believe Necrons take the cake again - I personally do LOVE the Tyranid models, but the integral detail of the carapace armour and alike concern me?

I would just let to get a feel/feedback/comments from some of the Veterans out there with regards to playstyle, painting skill requirement and costs (I do not intend to go hardcore competitive, something in the 750pt-1500pt range further down the track) so I can pop down to Games Workshop this weekend and start my new collection off .

-DB

·
Registered
53 Posts
It depends how "competitive" your view of the game is but Dark Eldar offer the most freedom for a varied playstyle in a casual enviroment IMO, as i have had great fun with my army, from zipping around with their fast transports or even run slow but tough to kill units like my personal favorite a big squad of Grotesques, which i converted from a box of Fantasy Ogres mixed with the spare pieces left over from Pain Engines.

Oh and Reaver Jetbikes are just so much fun to play with, can swap table edges with ease and bladevaning is pure awesome.

That is just my personal and very biased opinion. :biggrin:

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
I have it narrowed down to a three; Necrons, Tyranids or Dark Elder.
Do Dark Eldar (main) allied with something sturdier, like a Wraithguard-based Eldar detachment or Chaos (Nurgle) Marines, or do Necrons allied with something more numerous, like Tau. They fill each other out nicely.

If that isn't an option, I would say go with Dark Eldar if you like speed and high volume of fire with close combat always being a viable plan B. (But be prepared to lose half your army in the first two turns if your enemy manages to work your angles, or you screw up deployment, or the terrain is very open) - or go with Necrons if a more slow and methodical approach with A LOT more room for error suits you more.

I don't rate Nids at all. And I have 5K+ points of them lying around.

·
Irn Bru 32!
1,436 Posts
It depends how "competitive" your view of the game is but Dark Eldar offer the most freedom for a varied playstyle in a casual enviroment IMO, as i have had great fun with my army, from zipping around with their fast transports or even run slow but tough to kill units like my personal favorite a big squad of Grotesques, which i converted from a box of Fantasy Ogres mixed with the spare pieces left over from Pain Engines.

Oh and Reaver Jetbikes are just so much fun to play with, can swap table edges with ease and bladevaning is pure awesome.

That is just my personal and very biased opinion. :biggrin:
I run a hemoculi with 9 wraks with a liquifier gun, It's pure amazing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts