Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I've finally done it, I finally had a game of Warhammer 40k after almost 10 years absence. I have an anxiety disorder, so it's hard for me to go out and I also look after my Nan who has Alzheimers so even if I could go out I don't get a lot of time, but after some changes I was able to have most of the day free. So I got to go see Iron Man 3 (which is awesome, better than the 1st two imo) and then got to have a "warm" up game vs my local GW store manager.

I only took 1k of my Warmonger Space Marines, he threw together a 1k list that he said he'd used before in a tournament but I wasn't sure. It was basically made up of two sets of the 40k boxed game, 2 large squads of cultists, a hellbrute, a large squad of chosen with loads of melee weapons and his leader. I had a 5 man terminator squad, my commander with th and ss, 10 man tactical squad with flamer and combi flamer in a rhino, a 5 man tactical squad with plasma gun and combi plasma in a razorback with an assault cannon and a dreadnought with multi melta in a drop pod.

Suffice to say I was extremely lucky with my rolls. he got the first turn and he ran towards my two tanks and couldn't do much else. My first turn, my dread dropped in right behind his hellbrute and took it out, my rhino squad sped forward, jumped out and toasted a whole squad of cultists in one turn due to the flamers and rapid firing bolters.

His turn however went completely the opposite way, he tried to assault but was out of range from 1" or 2" due to my overwatch taking out the closest model to me, which left his remaining troops in no mans land.

My Terminators arrived next to the drop pod due to the locator beacon, his other cultists fled off the board due to the flamer squad nuking them again. Eventually his chosen got into combat after the Dread charged them, it was pretty one sided, the dread squashed his lord as the lord couldn't hurt him so he took him off, and the only damage I received in the whole game was a glancing hit from a power maul.

I was extremely lucky tbh, I wasn't sure whether his force was truly 1k points though and it was basically an introductory game but I enjoyed it, and so did he, will be going back next week to face his Eldar and hopefully it'll be more competitive.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Good to hear you've overcome a barrier. I can't admit to knowing you personally, or your condition, but seeing people persevering against all difficulty to achieve something they care about is inspiring no matter the context. Well done sir!

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
congratz!

i hope that you are able to continue this little fun "getaway" for a while.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Congrats, keep it up and may you have many more enjoyable experiences

It's the social side of the hobby that keeps it strong and makes it worth while

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Good stuff! :so_happy:

Let us know how the Eldar game goes? :popcorn:

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
Awesome story, happy for what you've accomplished :victory:

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
After seeing some of the stories which get posted in WNCE, I get a bit depressed with the human race. But it is stories like this where everyones own idiosyncracies and kooks that have an effect on their life are embraced or overcome that really restore my faith in humanity.

BRB, going to watch some people are awesome videos.

Well done mate. Proud is an odd choice of word, but I strangely am. My own kook I guess. First of many, hopefully, fella.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I keep wanting to get back into TT, been absent from it for a good 8 years or so now. But for one, there isn't any gaming club anywhere near me and I do mean nowhere. And secondly, the money, oh wow how much more it looks to cost now, I mean it wasn't cheap before but shit £23 for a tactical squad now?

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
And secondly, the money, oh wow how much more it looks to cost now, I mean it wasn't cheap before but shit £23 for a tactical squad now?
Oh how I miss those numbers being on our money. :laugh:

And Congrats Words, I've seen what blocks like this can do through a few friends and my own brother in the past. So to know you've beaten it too makes me glad. :so_happy:

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I went down for the game on friday, only problem was star trek was on to long and could only have a brief match vs some hastily put together dark angels. It was pretty uneventful, although I "won" my terminator squad teleported in, wiped out half a squad of dark angels then destroyed by two plasma cannons, although my lord survived.

I'm planning to take the next step this friday and see if I can stay for a while without someone with me, and have organised a 1.5k game and put aside more time so it can be a proper game. Here's the list I'm planning to use.

HQ
Chapter Master - Terminator Armour / TH / SS - 195pts

Troops
Tactical Squad (10) - Power sword / flamer / combi-flamer / missile launcher - 185pts
Rhino - extra armour - 50pts

Tactical Squad (5) - combi-plasma / plasma gun - 110pts
Razorback - twin linked assault cannon / extra armour - 90pts

Elites
Terminator Squad (5) - assault cannon / chain fist - 235pts

Ironclad Dreadnought - chainfist / heavy flamer - 145pts
Drop pod - locator beacon - 45pts

Heavy Support
Vindicator - 115 pts

Devastator Squad (10) - x2 plasma cannons / x2 lascannons - 290 pts
Rhino - 35pts

Total- 1495