Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Heresy-Online Fiction Competition 2010

Howdy folks! CP here again. I'm pleased to announce that the submission window for the Heresy-Online Fiction Competition 2010 has officially opened! :yahoo:

There was a lot of interest shown in the announcement thread, and i hope all of you that posted will follow through with your intentions! Once you have written your story, this is where you will officially enter it. However, DO NOT POST THE ENTIRE STORY HERE!! This is where you will link to your story within the forum. Allow me to post a step by step for you to correctly submit your story...

Step 1: Create a new thread in the Original Works forum titled: "Heresy Fiction Comp 2010: [your story title here]". This is where you will post the body of your story.

Step 2: Open up the this submission thread again, and post a new reply with the title: "Official Contest Entry". The body of the reply should be as follows:
[Story Title] [Author]

[Word Count]

[Link URL] (the link to your story thread)​

This will allow me to easily weed out the real contest entries from the casual commenter. (i highly encourage comments btw, its great to see peoples feelings about things. :))

Step 3: once you are done filling out the above info, simply click "Submit Reply" and you've entered the competition.

A FEW MORE requests that i have for you all are:

1. Do not make a "reserved" post. It's annoying, and it doesn't matter. Your placing in the lineup means nothing to the overall judging, so don't be a prick. :good:

2. Make sure your entry complies with the contest rules. (for your convenience, i have included them below.) If it does not comply, it will simply be struck from the list. :)

3. Feel free to make comments about the stories entered into the comp. It's a community contest, so the community should be involved. However, normal forum decorum rules apply, if i catch any one of you slandering another's entry, there will be hell to pay.

below, is a reprint of the rules for the competition:
  • Warhammer 40k or Warhammer Fantasy short story: you will need to writer either a 40k or Fantasy based short story. The subject matter of which does not matter. But the overall setting must be in either the 40k or Fantasy universe. we are a 40k forum after all.
  • 4000-5000 word requirement: In the past two competitions we have had word count requirements of 1500-2000 words. This competition is a serious 40k/Fantasy short story competition and with the inclusion of prizes will therefor demand a more serious effort on the writers part.
  • No Public Voting: with the rampant cheating found in this years painting and conversion contests i have decided that there will be no public voting this year. Instead, i will be judging this years competition. After the end of the submission window, i will read through the entries and shortlist three finalists. I will then choose a winner from the three finalists. That winner will then be awarded the corresponding prizes (see Prize Breakdown).
  • Public Submissions: Last year for the fiction competition we had a secret submission policy. Writer's posted their stories in the Heretic Ezine/Blog Submission forum. This year we will not be doing that. On the day the submission window opens, there will be a submission thread posted in the Original Works forum titled: "Fiction Competition 2010 Submission Thread". You will be able to post a link to your story in this submission thread. Your actual entry will need to be posted in the Original Works forum using the title "Heresy Fiction Comp 2010: [Insert title here]". Then, you can post the link to your story in the submission thread. I will then compile a list of the submitted stories in the OP of the submission thread, and they will be viewable by the public.
  • New Works only: do not submit something that has already been posted here on Heresy in the Original Works section. In order to increase the fairness of the competition, you will be required to write a new piece of fiction. It can include characters that you have already used in the past, but cannot be a story you have already written.
  • No Staff Submissions: Heresy Staff members will not be allowed to participate in the competition.

The submission window closes on August 31st! All posts are time stamped, so i will know who submitted on time. No complaining. If you missed the deadline, better luck next year. And don't ask me for an extension. I don't cheat, and neither should you try to.

For a full list of prizes and other information, be sure to check out the announcement post here: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=65903

I will periodically compile a list of the entries and their associated authors below, along with links back to the stories. Feel free to read them and comment.

Official Contest Entries:

Everyone have a great time, and i can't wait to read your stories!

cheers!

Commissar Ploss

·
The Hammer of Olympia
2,116 Posts
can it be slightly over 5000 words? to be honest i have a story that i have been working on for awhile now and it is quite large, meaning i havent done a word count, but i am fairly certain it might over take 5000 pretty quickly

·
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can it be slightly over 5000 words? to be honest i have a story that i have been working on for awhile now and it is quite large, meaning i havent done a word count, but i am fairly certain it might over take 5000 pretty quickly
Nope, sorry mate. In order to keep the competition level and fair for everyone, I'm afraid i cannot budge from the 4-5k word count. 5k words is quite a bit, so if you think you are at the limit, do a word count and find out first before you starting cutting. just FYI, your title does not count towards the final word count. The body of the story can be no more than 5k words and no less than 4k.

cheers,

CP

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
Quick questions

Are we allowed to edit the post even after out entry, ie weedling out grammar mistakes and faults or is our post final?

Plus does slander include any form of criticism or does hell arrive upon our asses if we are so crude as to merely say "dis is shit"

·
The Hammer of Olympia
2,116 Posts
hmmmm ok, ill write up a new piece then, mine should be up by the end of the night

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
A suggestion, if you will? I think that there should be a 100-200 word margin from the entry's word count, or more possibly. It allows some more slack, but not too much. Im not sure if I am going to enter this now, I find that writing is not interesting me lately, sadly :(

·
4,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick questions

Are we allowed to edit the post even after out entry, ie weedling out grammar mistakes and faults or is our post final?

Plus does slander include any form of criticism or does hell arrive upon our asses if we are so crude as to merely say "dis is shit"
1) Sure, since i'm not reading any of the entries until after the submission window closes, i don't see why not. Just make sure it stays within the word cap. :)

2) the latter.

hmmmm ok, ill write up a new piece then, mine should be up by the end of the night
ok.

A suggestion, if you will? I think that there should be a 100-200 word margin from the entry's word count, or more possibly. It allows some more slack, but not too much. Im not sure if I am going to enter this now, I find that writing is not interesting me lately, sadly :(
technically, i've given you all a 1k word margin. If you write a story for 4k words, you've got 1k words to wrap things up in. Seems like a fair amount of breathing room to me.

shame to see you abstain from entry though, i was looking forward to reading yours. :( It's your choice though. :)

CP

·
Registered
304 Posts
Oh how I adore a good old fashioned deadline. Now that the pressure's on, my writing finally begins. I'm sure procrastination is my middle name.

Also am refraining from reading any of the other submissions until mine's complete. I can't see it helping my case somehow. In the words of the wise Wayne and Garth.....game on!

·
Registered
262 Posts
1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.