Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been toying around with the idea of a SM chapter Based on Dia de los muertos, or The Day of the dead. for those of you who dont know, The day of the dead is a Latin American holiday, where the families of the deceased celebrate in their honor, and believe that their loved ones souls come back to earth. its full of bright colors, and humorous tone. Ive been thinking that the chapter views death not as the end of life, but as the start of another journey, and honor their lost brothers as if they were still beside them in battle. the color scheme ive been thinking about is a black base coat with bright colors interspersed, and on details, with a Calavera design as their chapter badge. i wont be playing with them, they will simply be a project in modelling, and painting, for the sake of modelling and painting. ive been looking at the Legoin of the damned as base models.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
This would be such an awesome project. Of course if you do a great job my wife will want me to make her an army of Dia de los muertos.

Although a white base coat might be better since most of the sugar skulls and drawings are of white skeletons then colorful art work done on the bones.

I love this idea I can't wait to see it done.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Great idea dude. Be sure to include lots of legion of the dammed, they would fit right in. Good luck with the project if you decide to go ahead with it :good:

Like Morkfangdakka said I think it would be best if you started with a white under coat. This will make it easier to paint the light colours you want to try and achieve.

Skar

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
An interesting idea, although when I first read this I kept thinking of Rainbow warrior chapter from Rogue trader days.

I'll be looking out for how these turn out, and the Legion of the damned will be ideal mini's for the project.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the idea of the white. The main color will be white, with bright colors like a skeleton, with some black accents. I'm going to paint 3 squads up. One tactical squad in the white,with the basic markings, as the regular marines of the chapter, a squad of legooin of the damned to represant their brothers who have "passed on" and an HQ unit

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol I already have nurgle marines, and ZOMBIES!!!!!! Don't fit the idea of the holiday/belief, butzombie marines for my existing csm, is an idea, ill post a general idea of the scheme later.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

heres the basic scheme. the pink/blue/yellow lines are very crude representations of the skeleton design that will be painted on the outside of their armor.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I like it. I would really try to detail up the helmet and the face since mostly the face is really detailed.

However, understanding how small a surface you have to work with a simple but striking combination like these might work.

I also found this website that sells rubber stamps that could help with back banners and making a design on rhinos and things you have to scroll half way down the page but really cool looking Calavera Stamp Link

This will be nice to see this project get started. I want to see how this goes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks, ill look into the stamp. My thought is that the regular marines, willdefintaly have detail on their heades, more akin to a sugar skull, but the super megaawesome calvera liek your first pic will be saved for the Commander and the LEgoin of the damned models.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to MorfangDakka, I now know what some of the colors mean!

Traditional Colors and Symbols of Dia de los Muertos:
Black symbolizes the Prehispanic religions and the land of the dead
Purple symbolizes pain, suffering, grief and mourning
Pink symbolizes Celebration
Orange symbolizes the Sun
Red symbolizes the blood of Life
Yellow/Marigolds symbolize death and a trail for spirits to follow to the altar

This will help alot with the color scheme.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for lack of updates, ive been out of town, but as soon as i get home i plan on starting the gathering of resources

1 - 15 of 15 Posts