Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to stick to a more positive note, and what with all these "5th edition sucks" threads popping up I thought a change of pace would be nice.

Title says it all; what is your favourite change/thing about 5th edition?

Cheers :victory:

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Kill points!!!!!!! :laugh: Only joking

I personally like the new rules for vehicle damage. I used to hate it that a vehicle could be destroyed by a glancing hit, as it didnt seem right.

And I love the return of ramming!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I like the new vehicle damage, its either that or TLOS

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Being a Treadhead I also like the changes to the vehicle damage chart and the overall buff of Mech in general...no doubt it will be toned down in 6th Ed, ah well.

·
4,491 Posts
Being a Treadhead I also like the changes to the vehicle damage chart and the overall buff of Mech in general...no doubt it will be toned down in 6th Ed, ah well.
It would be financial suicide for GW to tone down mech.

Look at it this way...
Before, you were paying ~50 bucks RRP for a squad.
Now, you have to spend an additional ~50 RRP for a transport vehicle for them too, which is worth bugger all points meaning you should run lots of them.

Under the 3rd/4th ed rules, you could build a tournament army for half the cost you can now, even if the prices were the same.

·
Registered
632 Posts
While mech is a good thing in some ways, i think the best thing about 5th is its alot more clearer in the rules set. There is no more mumbo jumbo and trying to get your head around the stupid little rules. CC comes to mind, much better written and more understandable.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I too like how vehicles can no longer be wrecked by a glancing hit. I also like how they streamlined the rules by getting rid of stupid 4th ed rules (target priority and emergency disembarkation stand out). however I do not like that you can shoot through other troops without hurting them-makes no sense!

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
I do like how now you get cover if your opponent shoots through several unit, even though it is weird that the bullets wouldn't just hit those they are shooting through!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I like the new missions mostly. Gives an added dimension to all of the games instead of just turn up and fight. Tactical thinking for the win :grin:

·
Super Moderator
8,562 Posts
... it is weird that the bullets wouldn't just hit those they are shooting through!
The WHFB rule of interposed units reducing the chance to hit makes more fluff sense, i.e. if I want to hit the unit behind I aim to miss the unit in front. However, if you look at what they do instead of why they are both just reductions in your chance to cause an unsaved wound.

I suspect the reason neither system includes an accidentally hitting the interposing unit rule is simplification.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
WFB has this rule because they are aiming arrows and war machines that intentionally lob projectiles in the air. However 40K is not like this I mean I for one second do not believe you could aim an ork shoota for example through in the air the same way as a lobba for example.

·
Super Moderator
8,562 Posts
WFB has this rule because they are aiming arrows and war machines that intentionally lob projectiles in the air. However 40K is not like this I mean I for one second do not believe you could aim an ork shoota for example through in the air the same way as a lobba for example.
I do not disagree that it is not totally realistic 9in either system) to never hit intervening units; however it would quickly get complex or longwinded. Even if you just made it another BS roll to avoid hitting them it adds to the number of things to do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I too like how vehicles can no longer be wrecked by a glancing hit. I also like how they streamlined the rules by getting rid of stupid 4th ed rules (target priority and emergency disembarkation stand out).
IF an AP 1 Weapon glances you add plus one to table and you can wreck a vehicle! (pg. 110 of quick reference rule book) thats y i love tank hunters and lascannons

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
They're targeting the unit behind but because they can't get a clear shot they don't take the shot??

My favourite part is th vehicles. makes them seem a much more integral part of the game now

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I think the best rule amendment to cover save due to units is that if passed then the intervening unit (the first unit if multiple are involved) takes a wound instead. This can apply to your own troops. This would work as it is similar to the rules concerning grots under the old Ork Codex.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Ok, what I love most about 40k is... [Dramatic music] ... Everything! Yes, I love the whole game, from cover to cover of the rule book, kick ass game!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I like running. It makes the game faster, trickier (in some situations) and makes CC armies more viable.
Target Priority was a good thing to get rid of as it was stupid as hell. But I miss Consolidation into Fresh Enemy. That was a nice rule they shouldn't have gotten rid of. Unlike Emergency Disembarkation. Ugh!
More generally, I like the flow of the game. It's simplified enough to get on with it, but not too simplified (well, KPs is an exception to this).
I also think the missions are decent (although KPs is still pretty dumb and Capture and Control missions are pretty lame). Well, I guess I like the deployment types more than the missions but who's counting.

Oh, and I love Daemons! Most awesome codex ever!

·
Bringer of the Apocalypse
2,559 Posts
This might be odd, but I love all the new plastic kits that have come out in the "5th ed" era; For instance, look at the plastic Trygons for the Nids, or the plethora of new BA plastics...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts