Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

favourite battle

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Squeeking up on people 
#1 ·
like the title says whats your favourite battle in the warhammer fluff please give a reason

here is mine

i like the battle for volganof castle in the rulebook
because it shows that you cam be the strongest guy aroud but still be (kind of) a bit good i mean chaos lord mortkin has the power to almost destroy the empire but in the end he is supected of stopping with fighting after the city has fallen and dieing that way

#2 ·
Not having the new rulebook yet I can only go for the 'classics'.

I prefer the battle at blackfire pass with Karl Franz. It was featured in the armybook of the Empire of the last edition. The fluff starts with Kurt Helborg awaiting on a slope in the back of the army with the master engineers and artillery together with his inner circle knights. At that point Karl Franz returns on a wounded Deathclaw. They talk about the battle and why the reserves haven't reached them yet (they were ambushed). They also think its strange that so far they have only encountered goblins and lesser orcs with the usual trolls and giants. Right about then the orc warboss enters the fray with his boar riders and big uns from a wood. They punch through the Empire lines into the greatswords and the elector count of ??. The warboss slays the elector count and his greatswords and the army falls into disarray (I also believe this is were the Solland runefang falls into the hands of the greenskins). Karl Franz orders the master engineers and the artillery to pick off the giants and other nasties untill their ammunition is spent and then retreat from battle. Karl Franz, Kurt Helborg and the inner circle knights reform and charge a swathe through the orcs, right into the boar boyz and orc warboss. The boar boyz and knights open a path for Karl Franz and the orc warboss so that they can duel. Blow after blow has been struck on both the warboss and Karl Franz. Karl is clearly spent as is the warboss who pushes for one final blow. At that moment Karl Franz is imbued by the power of sigmar giving him strength. The warboss relents for a moment as he sees not the broken Karl Franz but Sigmar himself. Then the mighty Ghal Maraz comes arcing down on the warboss's skull, shattering it. As usual the green horde flees in disorderly fashion as their general is slain and Karl Franz takes the field.

Though I cannot tell the story as good as the original I hope this gives you a taste for reading it. The original story is much more elaborate in details and really (at least for me) captures the image of how a battle in the warhammer world is fought.

So get on with it!
:victory:

#3 · (Edited)
Hell Fenn

The "last stand" of Mannfred von carstein. a combined army of men and dwarfs try to defeat mannfred, there is a display of tactical genius by the vampire, but then the battle swings, the electors son swoops on a griffon to kill mannfred as he flees, he knocks mannfred from his chariot and mannfred disappears into the mud.

Second would be Vlads siege of Altdorf, and the charge of the vampires on wyverns and the massed cavalry charge of vamps into the top layer of the city.

#4 ·
The Battle of Itza hands down. Legions of Daemons against the Lizardmen defenders of Itza commanded by the living Lord Kroak. Sure, the first days were spent with daemons throwing themselves against the city's barrier. Until the Slann could no longer maintain it, they had it explode outward for miles, killing a hundred thousand daemons.

Then as the battle entered the city, the entire Temple Guard stood atop the Bridge of Stars for two days, battling legions upon legions of daemons. None of them taking a single step back, fighting to the last. Just to buy Kroak time.

With the Temple Guard slain, Kroak proved why he is the greatest Slann of them all, unleashing incredible spells upon the daemons. Until a dozen Greater Daemons of Khorne finally killed him. But even that didn't stop him. His undying spirit immediately continuing the long, bloody fight.

Now that was epic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.