Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What faction's point of veiw do you like to read BL books from or want to see more books from? Like eldar or SM for example (WFB included).
Mines IG. The idea of being just a normal man with a las-gun and a flak vest in a univesre were everything wants to kill you says alot about humans courage. You arent a killing machine or a all powerful deity, your just trying to surivie and follow orders. I like the diversity of the guard and all the differnt backgrounds they come from and differnt fighting styles they bring. Makes for very interseting books.

Can we please try to keep author predjuce out of this.

look forward to opainains.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I do prefer to see things from a human perspective, but sometimes they do seem to have their moments of SM level killing....Like when a certain bunch of IG ambushed a squad of World eaters.....bitter taste.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I prefer to read from a Chaos Space Marine perspective. Its delightfully brutal and savage. And World Eater is right, no World Eater Chaos Marine would be ambushed by Guardsmen, let alone defeated in said ambush.

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
I think that is the problem with guard novels overall. We all love the stoicism and bravery but truly the enemies of the imperium are so badass a guardsman killing anything more than a fly on the wall of the dugout in single combat is well unlikely.

Thus in badass scenes a little bit inside our head says, nahhh that would never happen.

I like the perspective of space marines such as loken, he seems realistic and he has some interesting thoughts, shows that marines arent really just killing machines

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am seriously digging the Eldar Striking Scorpion warriors perspective in Path of The Warrior. It interests me to see what goes into the making of an aspect warrior with the different shrines and just the overall way the Eldar live. Up until a few days ago I knew next to nothing aside from basic fluff and some table top rules and minatures.

Now they've got me enticed to start my own Eldar army. Also I do dig the perspective of Imperial Guard, gives a little more weight to the cause of humanity in the 40K Universe.

·
Registered
723 Posts
first person like in cyaphas cain. written like his reminiscences, read and annotated by another person. that was truly unique and worked very well.

also a mix of first person and 3rd person like in eisenhorn is quite appalling.

as for which "race".. i don't care as long as it is in style and convincingly written.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think that is the problem with guard novels overall. We all love the stoicism and bravery but truly the enemies of the imperium are so badass a guardsman killing anything more than a fly on the wall of the dugout in single combat is well unlikely.

Thus in badass scenes a little bit inside our head says, nahhh that would never happen.

I like the perspective of space marines such as loken, he seems realistic and he has some interesting thoughts, shows that marines arent really just killing machines
I sort of agree with you here, as it is something I've noticed as I've been reading through The Founding Omni.

In pretty much every engagement, you have a group of 'Red Shirts' whose only mention is to describe the manner by which they die, and then you have the 'Heroes' - characters that have a developed backstory. eg. Larkin.

So just like it was when I watched Star Trek, I knew the 'nameless/faceless' guy would buy it, while Kirk, Picard, McCoy, Sisko, etc.. would prevail.

Something I have noticed in many SM works is the demise of characters with faces and stories.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Inquisition. It's nice to see the world of Warhammer 40k, or at least the Imperium, rather than just the battlefields of Warhammer 40k.

Space Marines and Imperial Guard are actually tied for me. I like the knight-esque philosophy of (most of) the Chapters mixed with their individual characteristics, but I also like the whole "go climb a mountain of your dead comrades to break through the gate. Because the Emperor said so" feel of the Guard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts