Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all, folks.

Figure this might give Jez a bit more to work with.

Favorite: The community. The people of HO have been helpful, welcoming, and appreciative as long as I've been here. Arguments crop up, and people go their own ways from time to time, but the quality of HO's members has always been a constant for me.

Least Favorite: Since I came back from a long absence, I've seen that posting has slowed down quite a bit. Comments don't come up as fast, and some threads don't live to see their potential because of that. This ties in pretty well with the problem of lurkers that's been mentioned again and again.

Not groundbreaking material here, but I figure more discussion and suggestions never hurts.

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts
Favourite thing:

The sheer amount of advice and information on this site is immense

Least favourite thing:

not enough rumours

now i know this isnt heresy's fault but it would just be sick if there was more rumour info

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Favorite: Great Community, great topics for the most part

Least Favorite: Activity has slowed down. It makes me a sad person :(

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
My favourite aspect of heresy is the quality. Some posters are simply top notch in their respective fields and there's some great content. There's also a real sense of community and there are posters who really seem to care about the site and work to make it better.

My least favourite thing is the, in my opinion, lax moderation. I feel the mods arn't active enough in stopping threads from going off topic or preventing the bickering.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Favorite is the community, I suppose.

Least favorite? Hmm. I suppose a pet peeve is that navigating from the "heresy-online.net" base url to the actual forums is a labyrinthine maze of despair. Some larger, more obvious way to navigate to the forums there might help people (especially those using computers they don't normally, like a library computer, or who haven't bookmarked the sight) trickle in more easily.

·
Making Vidya Games
2,027 Posts
Favorite thing? Hands down the least douche bag community and attitude that I have found on the internet.

least favorite thing? Oh boy... Can't think of one specific one at the moment, so let me polish off a twelve pack and I'll come back to answer that one.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Favorite is the community, I suppose.

Least favorite? Hmm. I suppose a pet peeve is that navigating from the "heresy-online.net" base url to the actual forums is a labyrinthine maze of despair. Some larger, more obvious way to navigate to the forums there might help people (especially those using computers they don't normally, like a library computer, or who haven't bookmarked the sight) trickle in more easily.
Mossy, I typically click on the H-O banner at the top of the page and that goes right to the forums. However years ago, I bookmarked the URL for the forums to by-pass the homepage.

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> Favourite thing: The peeps on here who make the forum what it is.
>> Least favourite: Bitchy whiney "why does my army not get that...?" fukers. Use a different army if yer no happy wi the one yer using!

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Favorite thing
A toss up between the massive amounts of information and the community. It's a unique atmosphere and the amount of feedback that is being thrown around is amazing!

Least favorite thing
One word: Cheese. I really, really, REALLY hate that word. Maybe because it's often used as a excuse for players loosing, instead of looking at why they lost. It's always easier to blame the army.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Favorite: The great community of nice people who are genuinely interested in making your wargaming experience easier. The mods and admins who are on all the time and are friendly when you follow the rules.

Least favorite: While I'm happy the mods and admins are nice guys, I wish they would keep threads (especially bigger threads like the rumor threads and some tactica articles) on track. A good example would be some of Zion's rumor articles, who I frequently notice go into petty squabbling about things like how Games Workshop is ruining the hobby and all that idiocy.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Pros: heresy is a vast place, filled with great people, competent and funny. I can find anything from pics to inspirational ideas, to suggestions...oh and Jez is a king at bitchslapping cunts who like to cause trouble. I like that kind of leadership. When I see him doing that, i touch myself. :biggrin:
Cons: it is not so easy to navigate. there are lots of sections and not every feature of the forum is easily accessible .some of this areas may even look quite dead or not up to date and thats a shame. I'd also love to have more fellow heretics not involved in gw only.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Good things: Well, it's a well run forum, I enjoy reading the stuff that gets posted, it's a nice one-stop-shop for everything GW related with friendly people etc. I do enjoy coming here, and would spend more time and post more if I could!

Bad things: I've finally had 30 minutes straight to just sit and read through a few threads, notably the "Awards" one started by Djinn, and it's a good example of one of my very few niggles. Specifically, the mod team, especially Jez, can be confrontational and rude to certain members, without context.

I've fallen foul of it before, having got a temp ban a few years ago for backtalking Jez in the WNCE forum because I didn't like the tone of voice he took to me. However since I don't hold a grudge, and am not a petty child, I served the ban and came back, no hard feelings. All good.

However (and this is directly pertinent to the drive to get new members) I read the first few pages of the "Awards" thread - which is a single example, not the only one I've seen in the years I've been a member - and I was thoroughly confused as to how hostile the mod team seemed to be to Djinn's proposal, especially since whenever I've read one of his threads he's been nothing but civil and helpful. Reading through the early pages, and noticing he'd been banned, I thought the mod team were the bad guys and acting like complete tossers. It took until 7 pages into the thread that I actually understood the reasons for the response. Likewise, maybe the same thing has happened in the past.

So ultimately, I'm not saying that the mod team were wrong about djinn specifically (I know nothing about it, and don't want to know), but the public trash talking in regard to him and his friend lowered my feelings to the mods (temporarily) because I didn't understand the reason why. I don't spend enough time on this site, or know anyone well enough to be able to say "Such and such don't like these guys because of what they said in thread XYZ". I doubt new members are in a position to do so either. So what they might potentially see is not the mods trying to rein in a disruptive influence, but instead the mods castigating an otherwise reasonable post.

Obviously, you can't explain the context to every poster, nor should you try, nor should you have to justify every little decision you make. However maybe, just a little, the mod team as a whole could check before they post: "What does this look like to someone on their first visit here?" or "How does this post look to a visitor?" and examine their language (swearing and personal attacks particularly). Maybe it would be better said in a PM? That way you know that the only person whose opinion of you will be affected is the problem-causing user.

This is a long post about a very small thing, but it's a niggle I've had for a long time now. A personal problem with a user might be best tackled in private, because a third party viewer won't automatically come down on your side. It's turned into a long post because I'm trying to put it across in a positive and contributionary (not a word?) way - not to tell the mod team how to do their jobs, or complain, or bitch, or criticize. Hopefully it won't be taken as such!

:)

Reactions: bitsandkits

·
Registered
811 Posts
Favorite: The mods are great, the plogs are great, and no whiny asshole lasts for long.

Least Favorite: The site keeps changing around with no explanation. What is going on with the new modelling and painting thing with the seperate army sections? And the army showcase and the new news and rumours section? wat

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Pros: The place is run like a pub rather than a creche. Adult opinions, adult language, adult modding, and the whining is kept to a minimum. There are some seriously top quality posters, be they in the areas of painting, tactics or fluff.

Cons: Debates sometimes degenerate into stupid squabbling that has nothing to do with the thread the squabble is actually in. Sometimes there isn't enough feedback in the likes of the painting forums, and what there is can be a bit cliqueish. Someone posts top notch work and only gets a couple of responses, then someone maybe a bit more popular posts something merely average and gets a full page of responses.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Favourite thing: The feedback that you get from the community. It seems unique to me. Warseer, DakkaDakka and all of those other (shittier) forums seem to respond with nothing but "Wow you're so great" or that one elitist fucker going "That's terrible! Look at my models for inspiration you twit!". Here on Heresy you have to paint flawlessly to get responses where nobody criticises you and nobody ever just tells you that you're shit, you get told why as well and how to improve yourself. I feel like Heresy is 99% of the reason I have strived to improve my painting abilities and will continue to do so for many many more years to come.

Least favourite thing: Low activity of users on the forum. I guess I am part to blame as lately I visit just General 40k and Modelling & Painting.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Things I like:
The community is great.
I love the 40k fluff and 40k sections in general.
The project logs and such are full of great work.
Jez actively seeks ways to improve.

What I don't like:
The odd naysayers/negativity

Other than that for me it's all good!

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
Favorite: The ability to say Fuckmong analsausage without fear of being banned.

Least favorite: It was the loading times. But they seem to be better now. :good:

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Favorite: The ability to say Fuckmong analsausage without fear of being banned.
I will invite you to my wedding party if you say that loud and often. you won't be banned. free drinks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts