Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if any of you have seen the show Code Geass before, but OH MY GOD it was so amazing and to anyone who has a prejudice toward anime I urge you to watch it. I was often skeptical of it too until I was recommended this show and I am simply astounded at its depth. But I digress, the main reason for this thread is so we can all share our favorite characters from whatever media they belong to!

Jay Gatsby (The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald) - I have a big soft spot for romantic characters and this guy is the pinnacle of that ideal for me. There just isn't enough of that in the world today and I try to reread this novel once a year just so that it stays fresh in my mind. Conversely, I cannot think of a character I despise more than Daisy!

Buffy (Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Joss Whedon) - I'm a huge Whedon fan and Buffy has been with me through thick and thin ever since I was younger. One of the reasons I prefer television series to movies is that I can stick with a character for a long time and watch as they mature. Even though Buffy goes through all these supernatural experiences, I still feel like I can empathize you know? Can people have fictional characters be their heroes? If so, she is definitely mine.

Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass) - I am astounded at the complexity of this character and I never thought I would say that about an animated television show. I'm having trouble even attempting to characterize him as there are so many facets to his person. I know trying to wrap him up in a neat little summary won't do him justice so I seriously urge anyone out there who is looking for a deep show to check out Code Geass (just look it up online as there are tons of hosting sites) and make sure to watch the English Dub as it's excellent!

Runners up:
- Any main cast member from the West Wing.
- Whiskey from Dollhouse
- Snape from Harry Potter
- Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly
- Quentin Compson from The Sound and the Fury
- Wesley, Angel, Spike, Willow, and Giles from Buffyverse

·
Registered
432 Posts
Garrus Vakarian: (Mass Effect Trilogy) I. Love. That. Guy. Coolest sounding voice, badass, everything you want in a bro. Shed a tear when he died in my playthrough.

{Just saw your avatar and it reminded me how damn cool he is!!}

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Any character that is played by Ron Jeremy. He is fat, ugly and harry yet he has laid more pipe than the local plumbers... and gets paid to do it.

On a more serious note, Major Dick Winters from Band of Brothers. Now there was one hell of a role model for anyone.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Boba Fett, he's just cool and has a back/jump pack that fires rockets!

The Cenobites, they pretty much come as a package so it's hard to split them up (despite what the sequels may think). They just ooze menace and are IMO one of the greatest horror creations of all time.

There are loads more but I can't think of them at the moment...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Paul atreides, cause well....read the book and you'll see ( its awesome ) and the film has sting in it :)

and Spawn the most badass hero in all comic book history he makes superman look like a 12 year old girl.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Have to say Lelouch is a very complex character. When you think youv'e nailed his character "type" to the wall he surprises you with another side.

Favorite overall would proly be Paul Mau-dib Atreides. Hello cousin ftw!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Optimus Prime: He emboides everything that a hero should be.

Capitan America: He is Optimus Prime done in a more complex manner, due to him being human and working with/for the US government. I thought the Civil War story line was a great Marvel story, as it showed who Capitan America was at his core.

Superman: The man is a walking God, the Man Of Tomorrow. Some people give the character shit for being too simple, I would recommend reading Godfall (By Michael Turner), For Tomorrow (By Brian Azzarello Art by Jim Lee), and Superman Earth One (By J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI) for an indepth look at what Superman actually is. Superman Earth One is an Alternate Reality Story but it gives great insight into the problems that a young Clark Kent would face.

Raistlin Majere (DragonLance Series of books): A mage cursed to see time passing before him, he has a complex character that requires almost 12 books (and some short stories) to fully flesh out.

Kenshin Himura (Rurouni Kenshin anime and manga): A pacifist who became an Assassian (man-slayer in the Anime) who bears a cross shaped scar on his cheek, he is an anime/manga character with real depth. The backstory to why he has his scar is heart wrenching and his history plagues him through out the entire series. The series is one of the best I have ever seen and read.

And for Classic Literature:

Cyrano de Bergerac (from the play by Edmond Rostand): Great Character, great play. It's one of my favorite plays.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Valentine Michael Smith (Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert Heinlein): This book, and in particular this character, shaped my philosophies and life when I read it in 7th grade in ways that still resonate with me today.

Pocket (Fool, Christopher Moore): An amazing and interesting character in an amazing and interesting book. Shakespeare's King Lear from the perspective of The Fool.

Hagbard Celine (The Illuminatus! Trilogy, Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson): Enigmatic, equally insane and brilliant, and another character that shaped much of what has come to be my life philosophy.

I'm sure there are others I just can't think of right now because I'm at work and my brain is fried.

Honorable Mentions (disqualified for not being fictional):
Carl Sagan: This is another individual that has shaped who I am via various media, both scientifically and philosophically.

Epicurus: An ancient Greek philosopher I discovered in 6th grade and have loved ever since. If any single classical philosophy comes close to how I try to live my life, it is his.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Raistlin Majere (DragonLance Series of books): A mage cursed to see time passing before him, he has a complex character that requires almost 12 books (and some short stories) to fully flesh out.

Cyrano de Bergerac (from the play by Bill Shakespear): Great Character, great play. It's one of my favorite plays.
Can't fault you on Raistlin although I always prefered Dalamar.

As for De Bergerac don't you mean the Edmond Rostand play?

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Wilford Brimley. He's an inspiration to us all...

I'm surprised you had Gatsby as you're runner up. I guess he doesn't appeal to me, because we're forced to read the book in school :).

·
Registered
451 Posts
Some of my favourite characters that first come to my mind:

Elric of Melnibone
Another White Wolf, Geralt of Rivia, a witcher
Roland Deschain, the gunslinger from Dark Tower series
Rorschach, Watchmen
Tyrion Lannister, Song of Ice and Fire
Jaime Lannister, Song of Ice and Fire
Conan The Cimmerian

·
Curiouser and Curiouser
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm surprised you had Gatsby as you're runner up. I guess he doesn't appeal to me, because we're forced to read the book in school :).
It was also required reading at my high school and at the time I did not think too much of it. I have no idea when, but sometime after I reread it and just was enraptured by the character. It makes me want to go back and reread some books I read years ago so that I can gain new perspective.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Raziel and Kain from the Legacy of Kain series (mainly the voice acting was amazing)

The Doctor.......obviously

Tyrion Lannister as mentioned by someone else

Mr Wednesday from American Gods

Crowley from Good Omens (didnt fall rather saunter vaguely downwards lol)

and of course Death from discworld.....and Vetinari

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
I've watched many books and seen a fair few films, so this is going to be quite a long list:

The Doctor (4,9,10,11 (Haven't seen the others)), From Doctor Who
Arlen
. From The Demon Trilogy by Peter V. Brett
Pretty much the entire 1st Tanith Regiment, from Gaunt's Ghosts by Dan Abnett
Gavriel Loken, Tarik Torgaddon, Nathaniel Garro, Saul Tarvitz, Nero Vipus, Horus Aximad, Pre-Heresy Horus Lupercal, Argel Tal and Ahriman, from The Horus Heresy Series by various authors
Max, Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Angel and The Gasman, from Maximum Ride Series by James Patterson
Alex Rider from the Alex Rider Series by Anthony Horowitz
Solomon Kane from the Solomon Kane Movie
Sam Akehurst from The Age of Zeus by James Lovegrove
Sam, Astrid, Edillio, Dekka, Brianna, Jack and Orc from The Gone Series by Michael Grant
Robert Langdon from The Robert Langdon Novels by Dan Brown
Roland of Gilead, from The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King
Drothe from Among Theives by Douglas Hulick
Boba Fett and R2-D2 from Star Wars
Pretty much all of First Claw from The Night Lords Series by Aaron Dembski-Bowden
Durzo Blint, Logan Gyre and Azoth/Kylar from The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks
Gotrek and Felix from The Gotrek and Felix Series by William King / Nathan Long

I'll add more when I think of them.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Scorpius (Farscape by Brian Henson and Rockne S. O'Bannon) - Scorpius is the ultimate villain, at least for me. He has all the traits of a successful villain, he doesn't care who he has to hurt, he's willing to risk everything, he's a genius, he wears an awesome outfit, his only true loyalty is to himself, and he isn't afraid to get violent himself if he has too. And he avoids the crippling weaknesses of other villains by never underestimating his enemies, knowing when to fall back and try again, and he is willing to aid his enemies if it suits him. Plus his voice is sophisticated. Truly a villain for the ages.

Spike (Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel by Josh Whedon) - Spike is one of the funniest, toughest and most badass characters on TV and comics. Always ready with a sarcastic quip and a fatalistic fact about the situation, Spike is definitely one of my favourites. I especially love his two entrances to Sunnydale, running over the welcome sign in his car and getting out flawlessly the first time, and falling out drunk the second time. Wish he had joined the crew earlier in Angel, he would have gotten so many good episodes out of it.

Tyrion Lannister (A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R Martin) - One of my favourite book characters. Tyrion is constantly berated, underestimated and scorned by every character that crosses his path because he is a dwarf. Yet he is one of the smartest and undoubtedly the most noble of his family. He isn't afraid to stand up and discipline his sadist nephew, nor to make a joke to his father who despises him. He's got some cruelty in him but only those who deserve it end up receiving it, not once has he given a cruelty that I considered excessive. Can't wait for A Dance with Dragons, so we can see how Tyrion is fairing across the narrow sea.

Three of my favourite characters.

Lord of the Night

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
ok heres my expancive list from all media:
Anime:
Favorite Protagonist: Kenshiro from Hokuto no ken
Favorite Antagonist: Viral from Gurren Lagann
Comic Books:
Favorite Protagonist: Captian America
Favorite Antagonist: The Govoner from the Walking Dead
Television:
Favorite Protagonist: Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds from Firefly
Favorite Antagonist: Syler from Heroes
Cartoon:
Favorite Protagonist: Optimus Prime from Transformers
Favorite Antagonist: Eric Cartman from South Park
Movie:
Favorite Protagonist: Ricky from Riki-oh
Favorite Antagonist: Balrog from Lord of the Rings
Videogame:
Favorite Protagonist: Ryu from Street Fighter
Favorite Antagonist: Whesker from Resident Evil
Top 3 internet reviewers:
1. Angry Videogame Nerd
2. Phalous
3. Nostalgia Critic

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I'll bump the Paul Maud'dib.
My favorite quote from all literature is a line of his from Dune: Messiah.

"To endure oneself is perhaps the hardest task in the universe."

Which is my sig as well! =)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Malcome from Firefly
Rayland from Justified
Castle from Castle
Adam carrola from the podcast.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts