Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen the favorite novel and author threads but I haven't seen a favorite short story thread from one of the BL anthologies.

I've got to say there is one I read on a regular basis...

Hell Break by Ben Counter. Simply fucking awesome!

EDIT: Aside from a brief statement, let's try to keep this "spoiler-free."

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
The Core by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. Night Lords Raptors stalking Terminators through a Space Hulk, whats not to love!.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guess I should have mentioned a little bit.

Hell Break is off of Let The Galaxy Burn and is about a Commissar leading an uprising in Commorragh!

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Guess I should have mentioned a little bit.

Hell Break is off of Let The Galaxy Burn and is about a Commissar leading an uprising in Commorragh!
That would never happen, no slave has any hope left to start an uprising in the Dark City. The Dark Eldar see to that.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
That would never happen, no slave has any hope left to start an uprising in the Dark City. The Dark Eldar see to that.

Lol.

1) I won't get into an Imperium/Dark elf debate... here. :wink:
2) I don't want to put out any spoilers.
3) Commissars are morale incarnate!
4) and most importantly... It did happen!:ireful2:

For the Emperor!!!

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
The Wrath of Kharn, from Let the Galaxy burn like Hell Break. Two words sum up why that story is great: Kharn's perspective.

Hell Break was pretty good, and Lord of the Night, before making any claims either way you should read the story if you have not already. There may be no escape from the dark city but that does not mean the toys they take back are tortured and killed while chained up or caged. There are other, far worse, forms of torture they can make use of.

·
BL's Most Prolific New Author.
132 Posts
I was very taken with Paul Kearney's The Last Detail in Legends of the Space Marines. Just a really, really good story, very well told.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I was just struggling to remember the Kharn story's title, thanks darkreever.

Definitely The Wrath of Kharne, short stories have certainly improved over the years but this one stands the test of time and blows the competition out of the water- it adds depth to an iconic character (in 40k rather than what we know during the Heresy period), showing him to be more than a monosyllabic psychopath.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
ok i can't remember the titles, mainly cause i don't have the books to hand but i have a couple. scions (or sons) of the storm in the HH short you know sal torgon relaising his master is getting a little scarey and Kor Phareon slaughtering the emperor worshipping pleps....best bit in the story oh that and Lorgar seeming to be a HH version of Caligula with all the gold paint and charcol but minus the sex....
and there was one i read years ago but the title and book escapes me but if i recall and someone might know....a marine was fighting a tyranid, crashed on a planet and lost his memory so for a little while he helped the community until his memory resurfaced and he went to fight the tyranid again both of them dying over a cliff edge...the only reason i remember that was for a little bit a space marine was shown to be as human as they can get but it was a long time ago and like i saw the title escapes me.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
ok i can't remember the titles, mainly cause i don't have the books to hand but i have a couple. scions (or sons) of the storm in the HH short you know sal torgon relaising his master is getting a little scarey and Kor Phareon slaughtering the emperor worshipping pleps....best bit in the story oh that and Lorgar seeming to be a HH version of Caligula with all the gold paint and charcol but minus the sex....
and there was one i read years ago but the title and book escapes me but if i recall and someone might know....a marine was fighting a tyranid, crashed on a planet and lost his memory so for a little while he helped the community until his memory resurfaced and he went to fight the tyranid again both of them dying over a cliff edge...the only reason i remember that was for a little bit a space marine was shown to be as human as they can get but it was a long time ago and like i saw the title escapes me.
I remember that story! It was an Ultramarine Terminator, he was left by his brethren because they couldn't find his body, awesome story.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
thanks baron and as i recall the farmer took him to where he had kept his armour and weapons and all were clean and kept like the holy fekking grail or summin....i only remember it cos i thought it was so brilliant.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Hmmm...possibly the other "Kharn POV" short out there--"After De'shea," from Tales of Heresy.

Other competitors for the honor:

- "One Hate," by ADB, from Heroes of the Space Marines.
- "Liberty," by Gav Thorpe, in the Last Chancers Omnibus. Go Kage!

I deeply regret not owning Let the Galaxy Burn!...

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Speaking of ADB, for me another good short story was At Gaius Point. Serves to flesh out what truly is a great, doomed chapter and make one of their most defining points all the more tragic.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am not a fan of short stories and I mostly avoid any anthologies etc. but if I should choose one that it would be 'Last Church' by Graham McNeill from 'Tales of heresy'.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Chaplain Elysius of the Salamanders Thid Company?
Thats set on a Dark Eldar ship. Were you expecting a Sons of Vulkan invasion of Commorragh?

Lol.

1) I won't get into an Imperium/Dark Eldar debate... here. :wink:
2) I don't want to put out any spoilers.
3) Commissars are morale incarnate!
4) and most importantly... It did happen!:ireful2:

For the Emperor!!!
Grr. Commissars are cowards who shoot their own men.

Hell Break was pretty good, and Lord of the Night, before making any claims either way you should read the story if you have not already. There may be no escape from the dark city but that does not mean the toys they take back are tortured and killed while chained up or caged. There are other, far worse, forms of torture they can make use of.
I wasn't denying it happened in the story, I was making a boast about the Dark Eldar. And i'd love to read Let the Galaxy Burn! but I can't get my hands on a copy.

And with that hint I now understand the story. False hope, excellent :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts