Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i painted these up for a mate..they were old school metal mini..it was fun to paint something brightly coloured..i need to work on my edge highlights..(even though i hate them) and my Gem work blending needs some attention..but overall im really pleased with how the turned out..
as always CC
thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
The squad as a while looks realy good. Just a little bit to thick highlightning in some places for my taste. And the yellow and red details could need a highlightning aswell.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The squad as a while looks realy good. Just a little bit to thick highlightning in some places for my taste. And the yellow and red details could need a highlightning aswell.
hey man thanks for taking the time to comment..im really starting to loose faith in heresy and wonder why i bother posting at all.

yeah the red gems didnt pick up well on the camera..i need to work on my blending more..and the yellow i just did a very simple wash/highlight..

and yes the edge highlighting even im not happy with it..but like i said i dont like it any way.. to me its not natural.
but thanks any way..if you havent please go check out my other stuff
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=157906
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146425

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why do you hate doing edge highlightnings?
i dont really know why..its just one of those things that annoys me...to me it doesnt look "real"..
i like more blendid highlighting..with a very very small sharp highlight but i cant quite get the technique down yet

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I know what you meen. It took like forever before I feelt happy with my own highlightning. Now days I usualy go with a 50/50 mix of white and whatever colour I highlight. I think it is enough cause a to bright highlight makes models looks like a neon-add.

·
Closet Dictator
3,435 Posts
Again tastey work, I'm in no real position to critique your work, but I will have to second moriouce about the highlights, a bit to thick and a wee bit too bright

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Again tastey work, I'm in no real position to critique your work, but I will have to second moriouce about the highlights, a bit to thick and a wee bit too bright
thanks man..yeah something i need to work a little closer and try not to rush..thanks for taking the time to comment..i really dont mind good or bad comments..art is subjective anyway so not everybody is going to like it..

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
They do look good - The only thing I have is what they others have said; The highlights. I would recommend that you have a look at weathering actually, as I believe it would be a good model to test that technique on. The goal is to get the highlights and transitions as smooth as possible, where there's currently a stark contrast where the line is.

Another point would probably be to drybrush the metal again, to get some of that shine back. The grey on the swords is also a bit flat, so maybe some highlighting with a lighter grey at the top?

For some truly detailed work, you would also try out some light-source on the eyes as if they have a inner glow. But that's not something that is needed at all - Just a final touch if you really want to liven it up :)

Don't take this as a sign that they aren't good, because they are. The only thing I'm trying to do is to get some ideas on what to work on next - Keep it up mate!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They do look good - The only thing I have is what they others have said; The highlights. I would recommend that you have a look at weathering actually, as I believe it would be a good model to test that technique on. The goal is to get the highlights and transitions as smooth as possible, where there's currently a stark contrast where the line is.

Another point would probably be to drybrush the metal again, to get some of that shine back. The grey on the swords is also a bit flat, so maybe some highlighting with a lighter grey at the top?

For some truly detailed work, you would also try out some light-source on the eyes as if they have a inner glow. But that's not something that is needed at all - Just a final touch if you really want to liven it up :)

Don't take this as a sign that they aren't good, because they are. The only thing I'm trying to do is to get some ideas on what to work on next - Keep it up mate!
thanks for the suggestions im trying more and more techniques so i can push my painting further..i really want to paint high quality minis

·
Registered
585 Posts
As always, very nice work fatmantis. The fact that you have taken time to paint the under suit a different colour to the armour plates puts them ahead of most peoples aspect warriors paint jobs. I know what you mean about edge highlighting, it's one technique that has never worked out for me.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Great work on those Scorpions mate :good:

As for the highlighting trouble, keep at it and it'll just click for you :)

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
You would most likely get more comments and whatnot if you maintained just one thread with your work. By posting separate threads it increases the chance of each one being buried and forgotten.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You would most likely get more comments and whatnot if you maintained just one thread with your work. By posting separate threads it increases the chance of each one being buried and forgotten.
-
i already have i log..but that get bugger all comments as well..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.