Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title says it all. I know moderatly what this novel is about, but I have not read it as of yet. Before I go buying it I was wondering if anyone has any opinions/reviews they would like to share? Also any other Alt-Histories that are favourable to read? :victory:

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you haven't read it yet, and I haven't myself having only seen the film version, you may find the basic premise implausible. By the 1960s who is going to believe that the Jews were merely "relocated"? Heavy suspension of disbelief is required for that to work as the basis of a thriller. As for other alternative history set during this period, have you tried Philip K. Dick's Man in the High Castle? It's widely regarded as a classic, I'm not so sure myself, but here's a balanced review.

Books I have actually have read by Harris are Pompeii, Imperium, and Lustrum. Pompeii is excellent. He really nails the detail. I'm not so sure about Imperium and Lustrum though. Fictionalised biographies don't do much for me. I'd recommend Anthony Everitt's quite accessible Cicero: The Life and Times of Rome's Greatest Politician instead.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
fartherland is a good, the films not too bad either, but does miss alot, as films tend to do, another good book is SS-GB, abouth the german ocupation of england and how a copper must solve a murder, while tip-toeing around the SS as he uncovers some nasty shit, think it was by len Deighton

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I only read this lately, and really enjoyed it. I thought Harris handled it very well, and his idea of a nazi dominated Europe was cool. Strange how there are actually parallels between the period the novel is set in, and modern times. Europe is an economic bloc with a single currency, dominated by Germany.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts