Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing a few games of Warhammer with my dwarves against a friend's dark elves and have not one a single game. This is due in no small part to the fact that dark riders have prevented me from firing a single artillery shot in several games. I understand that the free reform rule allows them to move through tiny gaps (provided the 1" rule is obeyed) but can they do that on the charge when they get to ignore the 1" rule? I'm guessing there is some rule to prevent this but I have not been able to find it.

So can fast cav dodge straight through my battle line to tie up my warmachines just like that or have I missed something?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Well if he uses a vanguard move to get closer he can't charge if he goes first on the first turn (in the vanguard rule) so regardless you should get at least one round of shooting at him or at least be able to manoeuvre something to block his path enough.

Also remember that with the free reforms, no model in the unit can move more than the maximum move distance so make sure he's not stealing inches with wheels or conga line reforms.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info on vanguard but do you know if you can reform during a charge?

(P.S. I know he's not intentionally cheating but he has misread rules or forgotten FAQs before so I just want to double check.)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Reforms are only made in the remaining moves sub phase of the movement phase (so after chargers have been moved)

Chargers must move directly forward and are only allowed a single 90deg wheel as part of the charge (pg 20).

In the remaining moves sub phase units that did not charge, flee, rally or compulsory move are allowd to move and perform manoeuvres (wheeling and reforming) (Pg 26)

So no you cannot charge though a gap that is not wide enough withough a reform as reforms are only done in the remaining moves sub phase. I hope that answers your question and gives you the page refs should you need them. :p

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, thanks! I was fairly certain there was something like that but wasn't sure where to look. Now I just need to figure out how to avoid the purple sun munching my lines. :(

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Yeah: he can race straight through your line when he marches... but not on the charge.
Normally fast cav can charge war machines turn 2, so you get 1, possibly 2 turns to stop them doing so: units of archers (or equivalent) or magic missiles will both rip light cavalry to pieces very quickly.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thunderers take them out easy peasy but there is rarely a target for them because of the move-or-fire and the sheer speed of the darn things. A cheap master engineer with some rune gear can fill a hole in the line and boost my warmachines at the same time. At least the 1" rule keeps me safe then. At least I hope that will work next time. :p

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
or just fire an organ gun at them. Should turn a fast cav unit into a smouldering wreck and doesn't suffer from the cav running behind them (I don't think I've ever had thunderers shoot my fast cav/scouts)... just try not to put in in a position where the cav cav advance with another of your units blocking LoS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts