Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GT final list - 1498 points

170 – Commander Farsight
585 – 5 bodyguards with plasma, missile, targeting array, multitracker, target lock, 2 shield drones,

97 – Shas’El with plasma, missile, targeting array, multitracker,

46 – Crisis Suit w/ twin missiles, bsf

60 – 6 Firewarriors

60 – 6 Firewarriors

195 – 2 Broadsides, Stabilisers, team leader with 2 shield drones

130 – Hammerhead with Ion Cannon, burst cannons, decoy, tracker

155 – Skyray with burst cannons, decoy, multitracker, targeting array.

I used a 6 suit bodyguard at the Heat, but found it somewhat combersome - it just kept falling over itself. By giving each squad member a target lock the unit can nominate a squad, all members can shoot another squad, and then the squad cna charge its orginal target. In the heat 2 suits didn't have locks, and on 2 occasions this meant they didn't do any shooting as i didn't want to risk breaking the target.

The Skyray is there to provide support for the sight-council, the idea being 12 rapid firing plasma rifles hitting on 2s and perhaps even knocking off a cover save point or putting a seeker on the target. Its another mobile scoring unit, and will hopefully draw fire from the council as they advance.

·
Registered
966 Posts
ahh this answers my question then.

Noticed you've decreased the "council", too unwiledy i take it? SKy ray is interesting - especailly if you sack the seekers of and use the markers for the suites and hammerhead.

just remeber not to forget you have pref enemy vs orks you chump!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will never forget that again!

The Council kept falling over itself, just too many models when you are trying to manouvre it.

I think if i played 40K more, I might be prepared to knock a couple of shield drones off further - whether the council will score or depends on the mission and opponent, more than anything and in some games i know it will scorfe, in others i know it won't as it has to get in there. But i just don't play 40k outside the GT much anymore, not enough to have confidence to start fine-tuning further.

I'm looking forward to using the Skyray - if it gets on before Farsight in escalation in mark for an Ion Cannon or a Broadside volley, andit does have 2 S8 shots on the move, which isn't bad, just not particularly hot for its points.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i'd really put a fusion gun on 1 (or 2) of the bodyguard. one of the suits with a targetlock.

i know you may not need it with all ur heavys, but its gonna be more useful than missiles once you're close up.

also, its anti-tank contained in the council, which sometimes is gonna need to fend for itself. that's the main reason.

also your 'el and elite suit have got all missiles so you dont need the council to be entirely fireknife

you dont need all the bodyguard with targetlocks, at most you need 4 of them with it, and that lets you fire at 6 different targets (which never happens) as farsight has a TL himself.

finally, i dont like the ionhead, i dont know if its got much place in the army.
dropping 1 shield drone from the council gets it SMS.
if you stick with the ionhead, at least put some fusion on ur 'el, and 1 in the council.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, the fusion blaster, convince me. When has it helped?

I didn't find myself wishing I had one once. Against anything AV12, the missiles are almost as good and can shoot from much further. AV13-14, well, its got to be in 6" to get the 2D6, and that means the units other 2D6, Farsight himself, should be in charge range anyway.

The missiles allow the council to be shooting all the way across the table - against Bob for example, I flanked his demonettes with farsight at 32", dirving them out of behind cover and into my other guns. Ditto against the Necrons: the unit would shoot destroyers then charge the closest warriors.

Disagree completely on having more than 1 non-TL in the squad. On at least two occasions those models just didn't shoot, as i didn't want to break the target or increase the distance between units. Hence the whole squad has them this time. The squad didn't fire at 6 different targets, at most at 2.

I much prefer Ionheads to Railheads - 165 points for a 1 shot gun has never looked like a good deal to me. I only took 1 to the Heat in the first place as I'd never used ASSsides before and was uncertain how useful they'd be. As it is, they performed so well I'm very happy to say goodbye to a 165 point sink. The Ionhead puts out 9 shots for 130 points, a good deal in any army.

SMS work on triple threat Railhead forces, where you are looking for cross-board shots from behind cover, but this is a more aggressive army and I think the Ionhead will be making a show of itself. Part of its function is to support the Skyray/Farsight advance by interposing itself.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Interesting stuff. Dunno how much you're getting to play with this list but i've got a few games with my list now and am starting to come to a similar conclusion about the hammerhead slot. Not just due to the amount of shots (mine keeps hitting but failing to penetrate :lol: ) but more due to scoring units in the list. The farsight council regularly goes below half (its a huge target and you can't hide it enough), which really means everything else has to score really.

I use a fusion in the council (mines only four + farsight) and on a shas'el. They've proved quite useful so far. Maybe a missile pod would be better in the council but i run two deathrain 4's anyway so im not too fussed. Drop podding dreads are the real reason i wanted them in there - the mass use of target locks in the council gives the option of multiple dread kills. At any rate, i feel its a decent insurance against that sort of thing.

The sky ray is quite useful. BS4 markerlights mean i regularly get a couple of hits giving farsight unit crucial BS5 when they need it or just annoying things with seekers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The firewarrior squads and cheeky deathrain allow you to largely exclude infiltration from a good proportion of the table with low point sacrificial units. Infiltrating characters are only really dangerous if they arrive with support and the farsight unit will make short work of anything short of a demon prince if its caught on its own.

In general Farsight doesn't mind infiltrators. They're all that much closer to mass rapid firing plasma. Demon bombs in escalation are probably more of a worry than speed characters.

·
Registered
154 Posts
whats cheeky deathrain, and how does the farsight unit take care of inf characters? Never faced a farsight army so i'm interested to know as i thought they would crumble to cc like other tau?

·
Registered
154 Posts
ok my maths goes like this, 2 speed inf charaters charge the farsight squad first turn and kill all engaged models then they break or die in your turn. i dont understand the Netspeak cheeky deathrain, probably a cliquey thing i'm missing out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You probably need to
i) rethink your maths
ii) consider in more detail how a farsight player might position to avoid being charged in the first turn should they not wish to be.

There's plenty of stuff on all the above in dakkadakkas archives, in advancedtautactica, and probably even some useful stuff on warseer. This is the GT forum, and i've put this here rather than in the army lists forum 'cause i don't really want to get into 40k basics.

·
Registered
154 Posts
your post implied to me at least that they could deal with threats in cc. I just wonder how you thought they could achieve this? Your right this is a GT forum, so i thought when people post a list it was to discuss the list. theres no need to be so defensive about it. As someone who intends on going to the gt next year i simply wish to know about certain armies like i could face and how they deal with other army types

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate what you are after, but the information is readily available elsewhere. its recapitulation here really doesn't serve any purpose and is a waste of my time (which, again is why this thread is here, not in army lists). try searching for farsight in dakkadakka or ATT

·
Registered
137 Posts
Read the farsight rules - hes a beast in combat himself. The rest of the unit has shield drones so when nasty infil characters charge, their weapons will be half negated by the drones. THen they get hit back by a lot of S5 hits. If they survive the first round of combat, farsight himself gets into combat and then swats the speed lord.

And to avoid it, you can simply use cheaper units to act as meatshields. Then shoot them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blood Angels + Callidus = teh GT win!

not really worried about its puny 4 attacks on the charge, but don't like that neural shredder much! At the end of the day if the unit is on the table you are going to take the hit, and just have to manage for it accordingly. You could deep strike, but then again the callidus might not turn up till turn 4 anyway.

·
Registered
318 Posts
not really worried about its puny 4 attacks on the charge, but don't like that neural shredder much! At the end of the day if the unit is on the table you are going to take the hit, and just have to manage for it accordingly. You could deep strike, but then again the callidus might not turn up till turn 4 anyway.
Aye, I was just trying to bug Fallen Angel, I may be facing his Farsight today.

Blood Angels + Callidus = teh GT win!
Agreed, is it too much to ask to get some competent organisers?
Some very dodgy going's on at this year's Heats.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No it isn't. The rules pack states that 'only those options listed in the codex may be used'. As far as I am aware, there is no entry in the space marine or blood angel codex that states you can use entries form codex demonhunters.

The army is at very best of dubious legality.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.