Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
lol glad to see i am not the only one who posts here wasted at 2.00am...
The odd time it does tend to happen! :drinks:

Deathwing Terminator Sergeants cannot bring anything other than Storm Bolter/Power Sword
...which is actually handy when it comes to using your CML/PC on a target at range while Split Firing the SB on a closer squad that you will charge. As much as this annoys me as well, there is some silver lining.

And no fast vehicles bar land speeders and Baal's...
Fuck me. Looks like those red Rhino/Razorbacks I have are going yellow...at least I don't have to buy two new ones for my Fists army. Will still wait for the new dex to come out for the paint jobs, but damn.

On to actually learning the powers aside from prescience I guess...

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
...which is actually handy when it comes to using your CML/PC on a target at range while Split Firing the SB on a closer squad that you will charge. As much as this annoys me as well, there is some silver lining.
I always just stuck him out front and watched him die (with good reason is he dubbed Sir Spare Wound For The Cyclone Guy), but I always forget that Deathwing have Split Fire and that you can use that to charge people, so that's pretty neat (I always forget DWK's Hammer of Wrath too, but that's even less relevant).

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I always just stuck him out front and watched him die (with good reason is he dubbed Sir Spare Wound For The Cyclone Guy)
:laugh: also a valid use I suppose. I don't think I would alter that tactic too much, but try it out some time. Frees up some tactical options I'd say, not to mention it's easier to know who the sergeant is in the squad when he's holding a big ol' power sword.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I'm sad about Paladins losing another tool... it seems every edition weakens them a little. But with Divination and Biomancy across the board, I'm liking the idea of just running a GM with grenades as the focus for assault terminators. Mixing them in with Dark Angels and abusing the Storm Wing formation and battle brothers across the board feels like it's got a lot of potential.

Another thought; Crimson Fists with Pedro could play Unbound to give up troops and go with Sternguard as their troops with really no penalty at all.

I'm torn on my 1k Sons... I still feel like they should have Divination without buying the Balestar. but I'm currently trying to come up with an army list involving a Balestar Seer and possibly a couple other sorcerers. Ahriman is... well, he's Ahriman. He gets 5 spells, at least 2 need to be Tzeentch (primaris free) plus 3 other effects, but frankly Be'Lakor is far better as a Telepathy platform.

I'm upset that I lost Anrakyr on his CCB... or have I missed something there? That was really a staple to my AdMech Counts as army I was gonna eventually do...

I'm a little concerned about Tau... I realize they're still a powerful shooting army and nothing has changed that, but I worry that they'll have no presence in an entire phase, and very weak 'anti-magic'... far worse than Dwarves in fantasy.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I'm sad about Paladins losing another tool... it seems every edition weakens them a little. But with Divination and Biomancy across the board, I'm liking the idea of just running a GM with grenades as the focus for assault terminators. Mixing them in with Dark Angels and abusing the Storm Wing formation and battle brothers across the board feels like it's got a lot of potential.
GK don't get Biomancy, as far as I know. However, Sanctuary on every vehicle. Paladins are now 4++, 3++ with their Swords in melee. That's kind of a huge improvement.

Another thought; Crimson Fists with Pedro could play Unbound to give up troops and go with Sternguard as their troops with really no penalty at all.
Yeah, they can do that. It's pretty cool.

I'm torn on my 1k Sons... I still feel like they should have Divination without buying the Balestar. but I'm currently trying to come up with an army list involving a Balestar Seer and possibly a couple other sorcerers. Ahriman is... well, he's Ahriman. He gets 5 spells, at least 2 need to be Tzeentch (primaris free) plus 3 other effects, but frankly Be'Lakor is far better as a Telepathy platform.
Ahriman can cast a pretty stupid number of Witchfires in a turn, so I'd go for something offensive with him rather than using him as a Telepathy buffer which, as you mentioned, Be'lakor does better.

I'm upset that I lost Anrakyr on his CCB... or have I missed something there? That was really a staple to my AdMech Counts as army I was gonna eventually do...
Command Barges are Overlord-only now, yeah.

I'm a little concerned about Tau... I realize they're still a powerful shooting army and nothing has changed that, but I worry that they'll have no presence in an entire phase, and very weak 'anti-magic'... far worse than Dwarves in fantasy.
They have great movement and great shooting, they deserve to be weak in the psychic phase. Defensively, they have Talisman of Arthas Moloch from Farsight which is about as good a Psychic defense as you can get in the game right now, so I think it's pretty good.

Aren't Tau supposed to be the most overpowered thing ever?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Where did I miss Paladins being 4++? I've mostly just been skimming, but I didn't think they were given Iron Halos to start.....

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I have a couple of amusing ones, having recently got the Psychic cards myself.

- Eldar. Can summon literally their ANATHEMA, their most HATED and FEARED enemies i.e. Daemons of Slaanesh, up to and including Keeper of Secrets.... but can no longer use their mind to physically move objects (Telekinesis). So the fact that their most BASIC technology (Wraithbone) has to be psychically manipulated into different shapes and textures and forms is represented by not having access to Telekinesis. But they can summon Slaaneshi Daemons. Also, with being able to flat out ignore Perils so long as you keep a die handy... they're the best Daemonology both Sanctic and Malefic casters out there.

Nice one, GW.

- Invisibility is hilarious on Land Raiders. 6s required to hit it in combat. Snap Shots only. Unfortunately cannot be cast from inside the Raider itself.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I have a couple of amusing ones, having recently got the Psychic cards myself.

- Eldar. Can summon literally their ANATHEMA, their most HATED and FEARED enemies i.e. Daemons of Slaanesh, up to and including Keeper of Secrets.... but can no longer use their mind to physically move objects (Telekinesis). So the fact that their most BASIC technology (Wraithbone) has to be psychically manipulated into different shapes and textures and forms is represented by not having access to Telekinesis. But they can summon Slaaneshi Daemons. Also, with being able to flat out ignore Perils so long as you keep a die handy... they're the best Daemonology both Sanctic and Malefic casters out there.
On the other hand, you don't have to take Malefic, so if it's a problem then just don't roll on it - I wouldn't say Daemonology is particularly strong anyway, and despite ignoring Perils it's still potentially inconvenient by reducing your Warp Charge pool. Ghosthelms do let them do some good stuff with throwing a load of dice at one pivotal power though.

Where did I miss Paladins being 4++? I've mostly just been skimming, but I didn't think they were given Iron Halos to start.....
All Grey Knight vehicles, from Land Raiders to Dreadnoughts to Stormravens to Rhinos, have Sanctuary and Banishment. 12" bubble of +1 Invulnerable Save, and with Grey Knights, you're pretty much guaranteed to get it off. Even better, it only causes a Glance on a Perils, so that's not a problem, and if your opponent shoots the vehicle instead of the Paladins, it's a. drawing fire from the Paladins, good, and b. can be protected by a DA Power Field Generator for a 3++ Land Raider or phalanx of other vehicles. Oh, Grey Knights being Battle Brothers with Dark Angels is a happy day.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
It's not a PROBLEM, I just think being able to summon Daemons yet not move things with their mind is... somewhat contra-fluff?

And Sanctic Daemonology is hilarious. I just played a game with Eldrad, Farseer and 8 Warlocks and routinely having a S:D twin linked blast on top of Eldrad tanking with a 2++ with Fortune (potentially) is expensive, but very very killy. Being able to Vortex something and then Singing Spear another target entirely is bloody nice. And then if you want to combat buffs you've still got a load of Runes of Battle powers whenever you want them.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Am I the only one who finds all this psychic talk extremely complicated to follow? lol

I guess it's cause, for me at least, I'm going from playing a game where rarely anyone would use psykers, apart from eldar and I just had to shrug at them when they started throwing around buffs, to now being saturated with all types of psychic goings on.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Yeah, that's pretty big too, but Sanctuary is incredibly strong. It's even better now that the Dark Angels Power Field Generator works from inside a transport again - bringing a phalanx of vehicles, maybe even Land Raiders, with a 3+ Invulnerable Save is pretty incredible for the cost.
I've been testing that out by mixing regular terminators in with some psybacks. Works wonderfully well in tandem... I'm curious to see how that'll affect coteaz + crusaders in rhino too for objective capping.

It's easy to eliminate the source of sanctuary though. But still a fairly decent combo to turn the humble crusader squads into something decent (especially with the newly buffed +2S for hammerhand)

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
It's easy to eliminate the source of sanctuary though. But still a fairly decent combo to turn the humble crusader squads into something decent (especially with the newly buffed +2S for hammerhand)
From my experience, killing the sources are quite hard as I run Power Field Generators and you don't need Line of Sight for Sanctuary to work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Space Wolves lose all their powers.
Orks lose all their powers.
Blood Angels lose all their powers (and their vehicles lose them too).

This is not a FAQ, this is Kryptonite :p

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Space Wolves lose all their powers.
Orks lose all their powers.
Blood Angels lose all their powers (and their vehicles lose them too).

This is not a FAQ, this is Kryptonite :p
not forgetting
tyranids are now immune to rending but explode when hit by a laser weapon
necrons can only move forward 1inch per turn
imperial guard techpriests can now build shrubberies (which count as cover)
space marines can now attempt a power knee move that on 4+ will render the opponent roshambo'd (SOB, necrons and vehicles are immune)

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Crimson Fists with Pedro could play Unbound to give up troops and go with Sternguard as their troops with really no penalty at all.
FAQ gives Sternguard Objective Secured in lieu of everything being scoring, so there's still a benefit to taking him in a Battle Forged army.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
FAQ gives Sternguard Objective Secured in lieu of everything being scoring, so there's still a benefit to taking him in a Battle Forged army.

I never said there wasn't. I just meant that because Pedro would give that benefit in Unbound also, and since (iirc) Pedro already has his warlord trait... you don't lose anything for not going battleforged with him. You could run Pedro, 4 squads of Sternguard to play as your tacticals with better guns, and then drop basically anything else you want.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Huh, for some reason I thought the Objective Secured rule only applied to armies that use a FoC. I'll have to check out some wording when I get home and make clear my mind, I forgot to put the 7th ed. book on my laptop.

·
Registered
39 Posts
FAQ:
Question: Should I buy more Daemons?
Answer: Definitely.

Question: But my faction doesn't even have psykers.
Answer: Then give them to your opponent, he will need them by turn 2 :p

·
Registered
287 Posts
Deathwing Terminator Sergeants cannot bring anything other than Storm Bolter/Power Sword, even if the rest of his squad has Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield.
This must be recent because my Digital Codex still says Any model may replace all weapons with TH/SS...that makes me mad...

Darkshroud originally had Stealth and Shrouded on the profile, and gave out Stealth. Removing Stealth from it was in the last FAQ as well, as is kinda implied in the Shroud of Angels rule itself, but it's still a nerf to a unit that wasn't paticularly good anyway.
Yeah, I knew that. Giving it +2 cover from shrouded and an improved Jink at the end of the day it is the exact same effect.

As Varakir said, it was in the 6th edition FAQ.
I must have missed this then. Still, way good that it got fixed.

Yeah, that's pretty big too, but Sanctuary is incredibly strong. It's even better now that the Dark Angels Power Field Generator works from inside a transport again - bringing a phalanx of vehicles, maybe even Land Raiders, with a 3+ Invulnerable Save is pretty incredible for the cost.
PFG doesn't work from a transport...the codex says it cannot, and there is nothing in the FAQ that changes that...

61 - 80 of 95 Posts