1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Woohoo. Teclis is back to awesomeness, all that talk of his killing hisself from is auto irrestible force miscast business is put to rest.

·
Registered
93 Posts
tomb kings are dirty :victory:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've read through a few of the updates. Anyone expecting a significant update to older armies, or any sort of balancing, will be sorely disappointed.

Looking at the major changes for Bretonnians now, they've made "Virtue of Heroism" into the USR "Heroic Killing Blow", invalidated a couple of our items and clarified that Damsels can now cast Magic missiles out of the second rank, which is handy. They also confirmed that pegasus knights still cannot be joined by a character on a pegasus:ireful2:.

Interestingly enough, because of the changes to the wording of the Virtue of Heroism, it now gives KB against everything, and doesn't stop a character using magic weapons:shok:. So, I can now use the Heartwood lance, virtue of Heroism and the Tress of isolude to hit on 2+, and have killing blow against everything with a reroll to wound. That's essentially an autokill against all tough targets now...

Woohoo. Teclis is back to awesomeness, all that talk of his killing hisself from is auto irrestible force miscast business is put to rest.
They had a note in the BRB that you can have Irresistible Force without having a miscast, through special rules and so on. Teclis was never in any real danger. He is now essentially even more amazingly powerful than he was before. Be careful though, using him now will be accompanied by many calls of "cheesy".... which he kind of is really.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Interestingly enough, because of the changes to the wording of the Virtue of Heroism, it now gives KB against everything, and doesn't stop a character using magic weapons:shok:. So, I can now use the Heartwood lance, virtue of Heroism and the Tress of isolude to hit on 2+, and have killing blow against everything with a reroll to wound. That's essentially an autokill against all tough targets now....
oh dear god :shok: my bone ginats........

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Q. The Speed of Asuryan special rule states that “all High Elves
have the special rule Always Strike First, regardless of the weapon
they are wielding.” How does this interact with a great weapons
Always Strike Last? (p43)
A. The army book will take precedence in this situation. For
example, a Sword Master would strike first with his great
weapon. If his Initiative value is equal to or higher than his
opponent’s, he will also benefit from a re-roll to hit.
Goddamn High Elves with Great weapons are now better than ever before... They still ASF and now get rerolls on top of it.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Yeah, that is just pure sick... I might just have to keep using my HE while hiding my other armies in a dark corner.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
OMG:shok: Steam Tanks are now T10!!!!!! good lord :angry: Like that was a necessary change at all...

Yeah, that is just pure sick... I might just have to keep using my HE while hiding my other armies in a dark corner.
Pretty much. While I'm going to give 8th a decent go, I have a feeling my Bretonnians will be gathering a lot of dust in the near future...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Could somebody tell me what Heroic Killing Blow is? Because it would seem that Steam Tanks can be killed by it....
Also they are no longer immune to magic :(

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Just noticed, skaven get Strength in Numbers while steadfast, even though it's an "unmodified" Ld test :no:. With a general around, this means that slaves could easily get LD 10 and be stubborn against most opponents. Add in a BSB, and Slave walls will be nigh on unbreakable.

Could somebody tell me what Heroic Killing Blow is? Because it would seem that Steam Tanks can be killed by it....
Also they are no longer immune to magic :(
Heroic Killing Blow is a Killing Blow that works against anything, no matter how big it is. In the past, Brets just had the "Virtue of Heroism", which allowed KB against large targets (and it worked on steam tanks in 7th too), which has only changed insofar as we can use HKB against anything now. Against steamtanks, a single roll of 6 to wound, and the steam tank is scrap metal. I kind of like that, and with the changes we can now use it in conjunction with items that will allow us to reroll wounds too.

I should point out that even though Heroic Killing Blow is a general rule in the BRB now, Bretonnians are the only ones who have it so far AFAIK. As such, steam tanks won't be in much danger from it yet.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Its interesting to see that Beastmen got FAQs for models they do not have... :p

At this point I can't tell if I should start with Warriors of Chaos or Beastmen, the former doesn't have numbers, the latter doesn't have models for the Rare choices it has (which also happen to be the best stuff in the bloody book).

I also apologise to everyone who I kept telling that the FAQs will solve the Steadfast issue. It seems we'll have to fend for ourselves and drop anvils on abusive people. Which is a shame because I can't lift an anvil. :(

·
Registered
442 Posts
god brettonians are the best cav in the game now ranks of 3 and the lance formation also correct me if i'm wrong but are damsels aloud the lore of light if so t7 knights any1

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cheese Meister- Brettonians deserve to be the best cavalry in the game. It's the ONLY thing that that army has going for it.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
OMG, I hadnt seen that steam tank bit..thats just crazy. Sure normal bows and arroes can now kill thhe steamtank but anything S6-8 that used to be useful in killing it is now almost totally useless. Bolt throwers are almost never going to do anything to it and even direct hits from stonethrowers are going to be lucky to do anything at all to them.

Of course it does allow you pepper the ST with S3 arrows, roll a few lucky 6s to wound and get a few lucky 1s from its armour saves and you'll be laughing on the floor fpr the rest of the game...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Of course it does allow you pepper the ST with S3 arrows, roll a few lucky 6s to wound and get a few lucky 1s from its armour saves and you'll be laughing on the floor fpr the rest of the game...
At BS 3, short range, wouldn't it take like 720 shots to take all 10 wounds away? :laugh: Even my mighty Carnosaur will have huge trouble taking wounds off! Auto-hit in CC (IIRC), wounds on a six, still get a 5+ AS means my 5 attacks will wound about once every 3 turns. Fortunately, that's d3 wounds :so_happy:

Phil

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Oh well I'll just have to get a Ghorgon who'll swallow it whole on a 4+. :p

EDIT: oh and then maybe regenerate a few wounds. :grin:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
god brettonians are the best cav in the game now ranks of 3 and the lance formation also correct me if i'm wrong but are damsels aloud the lore of light if so t7 knights any1
Bretonnians always got rank bonuses from ranks of three. Unfortunately, the FAQ didn't clear up whether that also counts for disrupting enemies ranks, or defeating steadfast, because it's "rank bonus" (for combat resolution) not actual ranks. I think it would be right to treat them as normal ranks, and most people will anyway, but I'm miffed that the FAQ didn't clear that up.

At any rate, ranks of 3 might make them better than any other cavalry, but it doesn't make them able to break a large unit. Quite simply, I can never get more than 15 knights, and even that is a hugely long and unwieldy unit, worth hundreds of points and extremely vulnerable to magic and shooting. And even then, it's still only 5 ranks, so hoard units could easily have more ranks for a quarter or less the price of my knights.

Essentially even bretonnians super-cav won't work in 8th...

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
I'm pleasantly surprised that GW got some balls and made actual stat changes to certain things (mostly changing Toughness values). It's nice to see.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts