2 rows of cross bows
1 witch
1 beast master
and some lizard riders somewhere

anysuggestions

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Fnatasy battles are fairly fun, but the main differences between fantasy and 40K is that
(1)the units move around in blocks
(2)Units are either cc or ranged units. They usually can't do both.
(3)No transports
(4)A lot more figures are in fantasy battles.
(5)You are also limited on what you can use based on how large the army is.
(6)And the last difference that I can think of is that Magic plays a large role in a lot of fantasy battles.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Actually, the biggest fundamental difference lies not in the rules differences, but in the mindset one needs to be successful, or even to enjoy the game.

WH40K requires you to have the correct unit in position at the correct time. Usually you need to be thinking 1 turn in advance to have a competitive game.

WHFB is pretty much the same, but if you are only thinking 1 turn in advance, then you'll likely lose every game.

The outcome of melee combat in WHFB is much easier to predict than in 40K. Static combat resolution bonuses see to that, as do particular maneuvers such as flank and rear charges. Melee combat also takes a greater perportion of the game's emphasis in WHFB. Nids would love WHFB. Shooting is effective, but primarily used as support of the melee units and rarely influences the game in a profound way.

WHFB is also a 'slower' game. Often the games will take longer as more special rules will be in play, and each combat and subsequent actions take a little more effort and consideration to determine than similar situations in WH40K. Because of the need to think 2 or 3 turns ahead of your opponent (and yourself) each move often brings a slight pause to ensure that your movement doesn't come back to bite you later in the game.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
fantasy is more stategic than 40k a bad desicion will cost you dearly. i personally prefer fantasy to 40k because its more my style the whole knights and magic stuff really appeals to me.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i might start playing it when i start getting more cash but not before i have my 40k armies able to change there tactics constantly

·
Registered
11 Posts
im a newbie to WHFB too but from what ive done it really appeals to me. Things go much slower than in 40k which i feel gives you more time to access your opponents force and where to strike first where in 40k you basically shoot everything in sight and then slog it out in cc.

another big difference is magic whereas in 40k (unless you play eldar or dark eldar) it will be a suprise to see any psykic abilities but in WHFB it is uncommon to play a battle where little or no magic is involved.

i must admit WHFB is much more complicated and requires much more thought but when all your strategies and schemeing do you justice when you lob of the heads of an unsuspecting unit of goblins with a unit of HE swordmasters (which i have done a few times and i still find pleasure in doing)

hope your fantasy career goes well for you

·
Registered
445 Posts
im a newbie to WHFB too but from what ive done it really appeals to me. Things go much slower than in 40k which i feel gives you more time to access your opponents force and where to strike first where in 40k you basically shoot everything in sight and then slog it out in cc.
This is not necessarily true. Although it may take longer for the effects to become apparent, you can easily lose the game in 2 turns.

another big difference is magic whereas in 40k (unless you play eldar or dark eldar) it will be a suprise to see any psykic abilities but in WHFB it is uncommon to play a battle where little or no magic is involved.
Psychic abilities are quite common. Have you played an Eldar army recently?

Games up to 1000pts rarely feature magic.

This isn't a personal attack. I'm just providing my view on this post.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Apart from tomb kings and vampire counts, name an army that often features magic at 1k.

Or are you just picking holes in my posts again?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wood Elves, Goblins, Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts, Skaven, Most Chaos armies. All of these use magic to fairly devastating effect in 1000 point matches. and under.

Wood elves just aren't the same without magic. Most elven armies in fact usually have a little magic, because at low point battles people usually don't take dispel scrolls or any real anti magic troops.

Skaven are the same, no one expects magic persay, but warp engineers have a kind of magic, as do grey seers.

Never underestimate Magic.

And to answer the topic question, Fantasy has more tactical gameplay. Seriously, its all about movement and positioning, flank charges and sneakiness.

Fun stuff. Feels more epic as well, no idea why.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Define "most Chaos armies". This doesn't just mean the Tzeentch cheesefest.

The only way I see a viable magic phase at 1k with Wood Elves is with a wizard branchwraith and a spellsinger. This is only one kind of list.

Skaven are in the same boat. SAD lists have one or two engineers to spam warp lightning. It's only one kind of list.

Goblins? Does anyone play them as a pure army?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Theres a Goblin player in my area who uses a Shaman at 1k points. I think that at that level magic can dominate like it does at 2k, but there are even less points for troops etc, as a powerful magic phase would cost a third of your army

·
Registered
131 Posts
Theres a Goblin player in my area who uses a Shaman at 1k points. I think that at that level magic can dominate like it does at 2k, but there are even less points for troops etc, as a powerful magic phase would cost a third of your army
I usually take a wizard or two in 1250 pts. The last 1000pt game I played I had only one wizard. He did not do a whole lot because my opponent was a dwarf player. Those 4 dispel dice for dwarfs are hard to get past with just one mage. :puke:

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
My dark elf army always has a sorceress in it. Magic plays a huge part in WHFB thats why they've a whole phase for it unlik 40K where you replace an action. Mainb differences between WHFB and 40K is movement is vital. screw it up in turn 1 you're pretty much gone. And magic goes into it much more. It replaces technological reasons from 40K. its not a sword wrapped in a force field, its made of magic enchanted metal!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
335 Posts
WH40k is easier than WHFB by far. cheaper too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
as people have posted before, Fantasy is ALOT more tactical everything requires you to be thinking about what your opponent is likely to do if you do somthing, every move can in a way win or lose you the game

oh in responce to that statement about no magic in 1000pts or less. i run two skink priests in 750pt games so id say unless your running a Dwarf or Khorne army or an army that just dosnt want for some wierd reseon Magic, your more then likely to be running at least one mage/wizard/shaman ect...ect. in 1000pts
(almost all armys of the regulars at my Local GW include at least one mage at 1000pts)

·
Registered
94 Posts
hhaha dude dark elves and high elves NEED magic in 1k points and lizardmen because sauraus are to expensive on there own you NEED skinks with skinkpriests.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts