Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
Alrighty, I guess it's time for the honourable Judge Steel Nathan to step in and settle this. :)

I'm going to have to side with Vaz and Dafistofmork on this one guys. A good list shouldn't be penaltized just because it has a few strong characters. This first tournament is most likely going to be a 1500 points anyways, so nothing too extreme wouldn't go on.

In my opinion, if you want to do cheesy, go ahead! These events is really meant for people to try out different lists and strategies to help you prepare for the real tournaments. Having that scoring system is sort of like having that same system in the Grand Tournament. Are you going to lost points just because you have a better list? Umm no, you work hard to get a good list, stragetize, and enter with an self proclaimed unstoppable list.

Sorry guys, but the scoring system that Othiem suggested will be a no go.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Having that scoring system is sort of like having that same system in the Grand Tournament. Are you going to lost points just because you have a better list? Umm no,
Actually most GTs do use some form of comp system. It's funny when you look at the results, you'll see an O&G list in the top 10, then see that by victory points they barely made the top 50.

Their merit is based on the assumptions:

1) An aspect of WFB we like and wish to preserve is the massive diversity of army books and lists.

2) Due to being published under different core rule versions, differing design visions, and in some cased different decades, there is an inherent unbalance in the game that causes item 1 to go away.

3) Providing a handicap through "comp scores" encourages diversity within the gaming community.

Obviously these are all up for debate. I have no objection what-so-ever to running cut throat lists. What IS important is that this is clear up front so all involved know the general framework of the competition. Based on the responses so far it seems most people would prefer to go cut throat lists. This is nice as it also reduces work load on Steel Nate.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Army Lists

I don't know whether or not this is going to be in keeping with allowing the Previous 40K wars, but how will the Battles be run?

I assume the Army lists will be PM'd to the person controlling it. That's fine and dandy.

But Fantasy is usually full of hidden surprises. Magic Items, Assassins Fanatics etc are all part of the joys of Fantasy.

So I suggest that the Army Lists are only shown a basic outline or positioning.

For example, An example list could be -

High Elf Noble Battle Standard Bearer
2 Mages

3 15 Strong Spearmen
2 10 Strong Archers
15 Phoenix Guard
15 White Lions
15 Sword Masters

So basically, what's obvious from just looking at the models. And what about if the deployment states alternate unit deployment?

·
Premium Member
1,234 Posts
That does seem interesting for a special event actually: "Armies will not show their upgrades" or whatever. But I think on a regular basis, we'll just keep the upgrades on the lists, just to make things simple. :)

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
Hidden units like assassins and fanatics are declared in the special notes section, allowing the player to stick them in whichever appropriate unit they like for each battle, but it isn't so easy for magic items. After the first round it only takes 30 seconds reading back to find out which hero has the VHS, etc.

I don't think there is a sensible method for keeping it secret each round so for the sake of simplicity it is better to just be open about it I think.

·
Registered
992 Posts
We should be open about magic items(for simpicity), but hidden units should not be metioned in the list, but in the tactics, so the oponent can not "react" to them.

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
We should be open about magic items(for simpicity), but hidden units should not be metioned in the list, but in the tactics, so the oponent can not "react" to them.
This already the case chap :wink:

I think we have pretty much exhausted the rules discussion for this, I would imagine Steel Nathan will be keen to start the first one soon enough. If there is any outrageous meta-gaming going on it will be pretty clear when the tactics are submitted and we can deal with it on a case by case basis.

If the current format proves to be floored after one tournament then we can look at changing things for the next one.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Right - after seeing the first round of this, I'd say there's a slight gap in the rules for spells. Please see my reasoning below:

At some point the actual spells our wizards have should be rolled. It says in the rules this will happen, it hasn't for this round.
Tactica Wars Rules said:
E) Spells: Spells will be rolled on behalf of the players before each match. We will roll for each of your casters to see which number spells they have in your respective magic lore.
To me this read that spells would be rolled before we wrote our tactics, this would make sense, it would allow more specific and concise tactics to be used rather than a "well I might do this if I get this, or might do this if I get this" type generalised descripitons that we're seeing from the current round. For a magic heavy army like the one I chose, trying to work out where all my magical resources would be deployed without knowing what spells they all had was a nightmare.

I asked about this and was told spells would be rolled after the tactics had been submitted, as it is for this round, this hasn't happened either, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

For any future rounds of fantasy tactica wars, please can we have our spell rolls made before the tactics are written? It would make sense with regards to a real game, as you know your spells then before the game starts also.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Oh of course, I kinda figured this would be somewhat of a tester tournament anyways :)

To be honest it really didn't effect our match at all, I am concentrating on my "1" choice spell, so it doesn't really effect me, what I get as well as that is somewhat of a bonus, you have all of a lore so nothing really to roll.

I'll try and think of some other ways that we could improve the format of this, I've got a couple of ideas but need my head to be working properly before I try to explain them to anybody. Stupid man-flu :D

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.