Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now i know its not strictly a "wargame" in the true sense, but i was lucky enough that my wife gave this game to me for my birthday and i had chance to give it a go, as i may have mentioned before i dont have a great deal of time to enjoy hobbies to the extent that i did due to family and business commitments, but i do like a good strategy boardgames.

this is the game in all its glory, i have borrowed the image as we didnt take any photos of the game but as you can see its got a lot going on, quite a few things to keep track of and is far more complex than say Risk.

the game is a three to six player game, if you play with less than six players then the other houses are represented by neutral armies and territories, but its possible to play any of the six major houses of westeros, the game is far less random than a traditional board game as there are no dice involved in the game, the chance element comes in the form of a small house deck of cards that are based around the characters from the story, So you may want to fight a battle using Ned Stark as the leader and he will bring along certain advantages to the fight, but likewise your opponent may use Jamie Lanister in the fight to negate the advantage.
the game has a resource management aspect as well as currency,raising armies,politics and the constant threat of invasion from the north by the Wildlings as well forming and breaking alliances, and a good portion of warmongery too.

The game itself is excellent quality, the board is thick,sturdy and very well printed, the counters are all made from very thick board they have been expertly punched so they stay in place until you pop them out and they pop out cleanly ,no pulls or tears. the play pieces are dice quality marbled plastic and are almost too good for a board game, they do lack detail, maybe would have preferred something a little more like a minature considering there isnt a great number of play peices per army but they are quality.

the only downside i found with the game is the rule book, its hard to read, and after three tries i still wasnt sure how to play the game,dont get me wrong its concise but it left 4 fairly intelligent wargamers scratching our heads and we failed to complete the first round of play twice,but after we watched the video tutorial however and we were playing correctly from the off, maybe it was just us.

the game can be played to completion in a few hours so its pretty good if you want to fill time between other systems or you find yourself with three players or if your simply a fan of the books or tv show as its very true to the essence of game of thrones,the game is far more than just booting your enemy in the face .

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I like the map of first edition better since its much more clearer but is one of best boardgames i have played last 10 years. Lots of negotiation and really tight set of rules. But sadly game needs 6 players to work best and with 5 is playable. Less than that map gets too open and alliances wont happen alot and some houses get conquer map easier.

Think this game belongs to any wargame group who want game which plays around 2-3 hours and has 5-6 players with great set or rules. One of best designs to come from FFG.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
That looks shiny! :good:

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a few months on

Well i have to say i have played this game a number of times now, i have also been lucky enough to pick up two of the expansions

Firstly the game is broken, we played the core game 6 times with four players and all six times Baratheon won by default, different players used the army and the result was always the same, because the south is effectively unguarded and the other three armies are very close to one another and cant spare the resources to stop baratheon without weakening them selves vs the other 2 armies.

It may work better as a six player.

because of this i picked up two expansions, one of which is the feast of crows , this is a four player game that adds the Arryn house to the mix as a playable army, sadly the expansion only gives you cards and not the game pieces, so at £25 was a huge rip off, had it included the counters and play pieces it would have been a much better purchase( see its not just GW) £25 was the price i had to pay to get it in the UK, which for 60 cards is extortion, particualry so as they were in essence an attempt to fix the four player game which doesnt work.

despite the price and lack of counters, the expansion played far better than the core game and thankfully lannister won and Arryn was wiped out, two things that had never happened playing the core game.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Warsmith
1,190 Posts
I love this game.

3 players is almost balanced as the southen part of the map is 'closed for play'

In 4+ player yes if everyone plays in a 'bubble' then the Baratheon's do have a a good opening to the south. (as do the Lanisters) but if players start to form alliances it can put alot of pressure on the 'bigger houses'

6 player is very odd only done it once and that was my first game, and I played with my very old mates.. so the whole game was a mix of alliances and betrayals and well Game of Thrones goodness

1 - 5 of 5 Posts