Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, with me starting a new army this week i thought i should try this log out, to try and motivate me to actually fully paint at least one army in my life.

I'm going to buy one box, paint it up fully and ONLY then buy the next piece of the puzzle.

So, the new army is Daemons, many for use in fantasy, but of course should the mood take me, 40k as well.

The first unit was 10 Pink Horrors, the finished unit will be 30 strong but we all have to start somewhere right?

Now i don't pretend to be a golden demon future winner, but i was very happy with these guys. Comments please guys and any tips/questions you may have.

Without further a do. Here they are.

Second Pic

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! i was really pleased with the pink and the shading, i felt it set the model off to a good start.

As for bases, its had a graveyard earth brown, then a coating of GW sand. i was thinking about leaving it at that, simple but effective. I wasn't too sure whether it was too bland, but i felt if i went too far with the basing it might take the eye away from the model itself.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hey, great start to a fellow Daemon player.

My suggestion would be to paint the bases as the sand will crumble off. I would base my models and then prime them with the spray paint, then paint the base followed by the model. If you want a light base, coat it with graveyard earth and then drybrush with bleached bone.

Otherwise, keep up the good work and can't wait to see what you do next. Which Lord or Hero are you planning on doing first?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the advice! i was thinking of painting the sand, so i think i may try that.

My Army is starting out at 1500 points. And my Hero at this level is going to be a Herald of Tzeencth to accompany the Horrors. However i'm not overly keen on the new herald on disc they are releasing in finecast, so i think i'm gonna convert my own out of a horror, as i want him on foot in the unit for that 4+ ward save.:biggrin:

With a changeling in the unit its going to leave 1 horror left over for converting so should work out well.

The 1500 points list means i have to paint:

29 Pink Horrors (10 done)
Herald of Tzeentch
1 Changeling
2 units of 25 Bloodletters
6 Flamers of Tzeentch

Broken down thats 87 models to paint, 10 of which are done. so i'm officially 8.7% of the way there!

Quite a lot, but seeing as i managed to paint 10 Horrors in about an afternoon, i think it will start to come together quite quickly.

For 2k i'm thinking of getting a daemon prince for 3 reasons:
1) i don't tend to see them used in fantasy.
2) EVERYONE seems to go for a greater daemon and i think a prince would be a nice change and
3) i love how custom the kit is. Could leave me with some nice extras for converting Hearlds etc.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotta say i'm personally not a fan of using grass on bases. Maybe due to the armies i've done in the past. (i.e. Tomb kings and Tyranids most recently). Hence why i like the sand. I do like the idea of maybe using greys to try and show a sort of ash wasteland effect. could work well with the bright reds, blue and pinks that Khorne and Tzeentch relate to?

Your thoughts?

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
Very nice looking unit man! Your painting in nice and clean and the shading is well executed. Looking forward to whatever up put out next.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Off to a good start there dude!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all you comments guys. slight change of plan. i went to my local GW yesterday to pickup the next unit and they had NO horrors left until their next delivery. So bearing in mind i have 50 bloodletters to get i got a box of 10 to begin. building them now but can't decide on the colour scheme. I know red is the norm but i'm fluttering with the idea of doing either Black Letters with orange highlights, kinda aiming for a LOTR Balrog theme, or doing Albino Letters, white with dark washes.

What do you guys think coz i'm really stuck on which to do or just go with red.

Your thoughts please guys.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Great painting so far the only thing i would suggest is basing the movement tray to look more blended in with unit.
Also idea for your herald as i added the changeling to my unit i used most of the flaming hands and gave him the upgrade flames of tzeentch (i believe its called).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, the movement tray they are in isn't the one i'll use for games, its just a spare i was using to make sure they all ranked up during the building stage. hence why in the pic some, very few in fact, are actually in the centre of their bases. I found horros, despite loving the models, are pigs to rank up. this allowed me to make sure they do.

When the unit is finished (30 Strong) they will be 7 wide, the 5 already done plus the changeling and herald in front rank, so i'll make a new tray for them. Still undecided on what to do with the herald, i may use the tzeentch sorceror model they released for storm of magic as a base then greenstuff extra horror arms on but will cross that bridge when i come to it.

Also i have decided to test paint one letter in my albino theme, i'll post pics when he's done to see what you guys think.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Essentially in my mind (scary place sometimes:p), i'm picturing white base coat, either devlan mud or babab black wash then bringing it up from there with white plus a splash of red and orange as line highlight on things such as the crest on the spine.

Hard to descride but something not too far removed from this pic i found on google, only slightly brighter white running through the model.

Then to link the Khorne/Blood theme, things such as the tongues and standard (i've gone the symbol over the banner by the way) will be red to signify the "blood" in bloodletter.

What do you guys think about trying this out?

·
Unfinished Project King
7,409 Posts
I like the pic above quite a bit and I think that your plans to tweek the scheme will work nicely. Kudos on going with an alternative color scheme and I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts