Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

This is a general discussion thread for the Heresy-Online Fantasy Army Painter project. The stickied post will be for details and progress announcements. Please feel free to talk about anything project related here, or start a new thread if you feel it is necessary.

A brief note for artists: All artwork will require re-touching and some editting for symmetry, etc, before it can be used in the final product. This is not a negative comment on the original artwork, it is just part of the process, so please don't be upset when someone adapts your artwork (within the constraints of this project obviously). Anything submitted here is assumed to be work towards this project so in effect you have given the project team permission to work with it. We have no intention of stealing artwork, and it will only be used for this project unless further permission is granted. All credit will be given in the final project, even for concept sketches. Any questions, pm me and I will try to answer them as best I can.

LVix has produced a concept sketch that is shown below that is a useful reference for a starting point for the project.

Please note this project is currently restricted to those involved in its development and supporters of this site. Please remember that access to this sub-forum is based upon each user respecting the confidentiality of this project whilst it is in development. Any discussion of this project should remain within this forum as only supporters and above can view this area.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Fantastic idea, ill drag that into photoshop shortly and make some a base PSD :)

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That sounds great Durinthiam, would be even better if I knew what you were talking about! :wink:

As an added extra if anyone has a few minutes spare and doesn't fancy drawing a whole model up, we will need a few heraldry designs to go on shields and banners, so feel free to draw things up (preferably based off GW artwork) and post them in this sub-forum. Hopefully we can have an option to vary which symbol is on the shield and banner to allow for different gods for the Chaos Warrior, etc.

Oh, and at some point we will want a page background and frame and so on for the project to be displayed on, though that is a long way off yet, but I know some people like to be a bit erratic with their efforts (I do! :)) so if anyone wants to play with that it wont hurt.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That sounds great Durinthiam, would be even better if I knew what you were talking about! :wink:

As an added extra if anyone has a few minutes spare and doesn't fancy drawing a whole model up, we will need a few heraldry designs to go on shields and banners, so feel free to draw things up (preferably based off GW artwork) and post them in this sub-forum. Hopefully we can have an option to vary which symbol is on the shield and banner to allow for different gods for the Chaos Warrior, etc.
If it's any help to anyone, here's a photoshop custom shape pack I made a while ago

http://rapidshare.com/files/95789263/Warhammer-custom-shapes-durinthiam.rar

·
Registered
873 Posts
*question*
squeek,do you want only new pics or can i bring old relavent pics over to the project,and is it just outline pics you need / want ATM

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah sorry about that juddski, I have pm'ed you with further details, but you raise a good question, so...

Initially any and all artwork is appreciated to a point as most things will be useful in some way, if not as a finished piece, then we will need some rough concepts of symbols and whatnot from scratch which could just be inspiration for someone else potentially. Artwork you have already produced would be greatly recieved, bearing in mind that it would be preferable for the finished project to be unique and not rely on other sources.

For the models, outlines are preferable as they will be much easier to rework on the pc, however if in doubt post it up by all means. I should probably say who is here doing what really...

Currently we have:

LVix - concept work
Durinthiam - photoshop work
juddski - concept work
dirty-dog- - concept work (symbols and heraldry)

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Sounds fantastic dirty-dog- :)

Observant posters may have noticed the individual threads for a few of the models in this sub-forum. Feel free to add to them, I started with those 4 in particular as we have reasonable reference pictures and it would seem wise to look at a multi-staged release of this programme, rather than all at once (though this is dependant on availability of coders, etc). This way we can get some of the more popular armies finished up for people to play with, and still be working on the others, rather than waiting for the whole lot to be finished before releasing anything. It will also allow bugs to be found whilst we are still working on it, rather than 2 weeks after the coder has started a new project! :p

I picked those models (Orc, Dwarf, Empire and Elf) as they are the two starting boxset races and two of the other popular races. This does not mean they are necessarily the exact (or only) races that will be in the first release, but we need to start somewhere and it seemed like a good plan :)

If you feel a burning desire to work on a different model then by all means set a thread up for it, please make sure that you copy the various bits of important guff in to your thread as well, and try to use the same format (that way it looks like we know what we are doing! :wink:).

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
We now have two new members for the team, Gobbo and Vaz. So the new line-up is:

LVix - concept work
juddski - concept work
dirty-dog- - concept work (symbols and heraldry)
Gobbo - photoshop work
Vaz - concept work

Feel free to add your thoughts or ask questions guys, and thanks for joining in :)

Also, now that we have 3 of you working on model concepts I think it might be wise to divide up the tasks a little bit to avoid two of you working on the same model. So LVix, juddski and Vaz could you pick a model or two from the list here that you will be working on for the moment please?

Juddski, since you already have quite a few wips going on would you like to stick with the Halbardier and the Glade Guard for the moment, or would you prefer to crack on with one or more of the others in your 'usable?' thread?

Personally I don't really mind who does what, as long as you guys are happy with what you are drawing that is fine by me, but it does seem wise to try and avoid people working on the same model! :p

Durinthiam, I have yet to sort out a programmer for the project, once I have I hope that they will inform what exactly we need done with the images computer-wise, apologies for that.

·
Who the hell is LVix?
313 Posts
I'll grab the Dark Elf and Orc for now as I actually have those books currently. I'm still messing around with the skeletons atm.

Tbh I'll be happy to tackle anything which people deem difficult.

Also doing stuff for the logo... :crazy:

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
I reckon I could have an attempt at any Skaven, Beastmen, and/or Bretonnians (or at least the Horse), as I had an affinity with drawing animals during High School. It was only 3 years ago. *Fingers Crossed*.

I tend to make outsized people (Think Mr Potato-Head for scale), so with the Bretonnian, someone is more than welcome to make the Knight in question ;).

An idea that popped into my head just a second ago, although is an entirely optional, and is something to consider afterwards, is a Horse Painter. The basic shape for a horse is the same - add on different bardings, and you have a different faction. If I have a general shape, maybe one of the better "armour drawers" could use that as a base.

Sorry if it sounds convoluted, I'm typing as this stuff just falls into my brain (or the empty space where it should be), so just PM me if you have a question over it ;).

But yeah, Skaven Clanrats, and the Beastmen Gors shouldn't be too much of a Stretch, the Horse is just an extra I can consider.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The horse idea is a good one Vaz, it would seem the easiest way to get around the problem of mounted figures and still be able to design the paint scheme for mounts.

Regarding the WIP threads for the concept sketches, if your specific thread doesn't exist yet by all means start one, but try to remember to stick all the gumpf in that is at the start of the other threads and keep the same format so that it is easier to keep track of, etc.

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
We have another addition to the team and a slight change:

LVix - concept work
juddski - concept work
Gobbo - symbols and heraldry
Vaz - concept work
Riandro - photoshop work

Riandro is joining in with his photoshop skills, Gobbo is focusing on symbols and heraldry and dirty-dog- has stepped back for the moment due to other commitments. Feel free to add your thoughts or ask questions, and thanks for joining in :)

Just so it is written down for ease of reference, our concept artists are working on the following:

LVix - Dark Elf Warrior and Orc Warrior
juddski - Halbardier and Glade Guard
Vaz - Beatmen Gor and Skaven Clanrat

I have posted the threads up as I had some time earlier, I am struggling to find decent pictures of the Gor though, so if anyone has one that would be useful.

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have another addition to the team and a slight change:

LVix - concept work
juddski - concept work
Vaz - concept work
Riandro - photoshop work
stevenl - programmer

Gobbo has left the project and stevenl has joined as the programmer, so we should be able to start discussing more of the technical aspects of the project soon.

·
Must keep painting....
2,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Hi all,

With the holidays coming to an end and the start of a new year, I would like to get this project back on track and make some significant progress with it. We will be having an all round progress check and update over the next day or two; we will then be re-assessing tasks, methods, etc, to make sure we can be as effective as possible.

We have a few changes to the team:

LVix - concept work
juddski - concept work
Riandro - photoshop work
stevenl - programmer
Syph - photoshop work

Vaz has left the project as he has other commitments, Syph has joined us to work on the photoshop tasks.

If anyone has any problems or questions please PM me so that we can sort it out :)

·
Must Paint MOAR!
666 Posts
cool :) its good to be getting back on track again! im still up for it ;)

just to tell you now, ive got exams coming up, dont know when, but they are coming very soon, so ill be on a little less :D

Oh P.S. Hope everyone had a great christmas and a happy new year!

·
Must Paint MOAR!
666 Posts
hmm, it keeps getting smaller :/ oh well, we shall pull through!

im free later on today so im gonna try out a few vectors on the chaos warrior. :)

-Riandro

1 - 20 of 20 Posts