Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it just me or is this novel much, much better than Nick's other works?

I've read Promethean Sun (had to force myself to finish), The Core (short story...terrible prose IMO) and taken a shot at the Salamander series and Vulkan Lives (couldn't get through either)

Fall of Damnos on the other hand is quite decent. It wasn't amazing but it was a solid read. I'm not accusing Nick of hiring a ghost writer but I think whoever was his editor did a phenomenal job. The difference between Damnos' prose and Promethean Sun's prose is quite obvious, Damnos' being noticeably superior

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Fall of Damnos was definitely one of my favourite reads since I all but gave up on Black Library.

Can't say I've read Kyme's other works, but the way a lot of BL authors have been I can understand what you're saying.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is still a polished turd of a book with name dropping every special character from Codex Space Marines to generate sales. While that is not a bad thing, it's gloss on top of a poor basecoat.
I would say Damnos is superior to the average BL novel. It's not secret that only three BL authours (Abnett, Wraight, and D-B) are consistently good. The rest are either terrible or mediocre or at best..."inconsistent"

·
Registered
364 Posts
Rob deserve the best credits for the Legion of the Damned and The Harrowing. They are one of the best stuff i have ever read

·
Registered
26 Posts
I hope they give Steve Parker a shot at the HH. Rynn's World is one of my favorite BL books and I just received my copy of Death Watch.

On the other hand I haven't liked much of Chris Wraight's stuff. I dug Battle of the Fang and that's it, but I haven't read any of his HH or Space Wolf stuff yet. Didn't care for his one Space Wolf audio drama though, so I've been hesitant to pick up the new books.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I hope they give Steve Parker a shot at the HH. Rynn's World is one of my favorite BL books and I just received my copy of Death Watch.

On the other hand I haven't liked much of Chris Wraight's stuff. I dug Battle of the Fang and that's it, but I haven't read any of his HH or Space Wolf stuff yet. Didn't care for his one Space Wolf audio drama though, so I've been hesitant to pick up the new books.
You really should read the new space wolf series, all I'm going to say is that it could very well be a continuation of a seemingly throwaway sentence in the emperors gift.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I Loved Damnos. The reason should be obvious. I also didn't care to much for the Imperium before reading this, and it gave me a new perspective on the Smurfs.

But yeah I read for teh Cron's.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,472 Posts
Its pretty good, I just think he has a problem making a descent plot that people care. For me his Salamanders trilogy went down hill. But, I'll say what I've always said about him which is he actually has a pretty descent following. So it is what it is. I actually think he has conjured more fans than McNeill has in a very long time.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Kyme is bad. Really, really, bad.

When I read the first of the Salamanders trilogy I thought maybe this guy could do well. How wrong was I? FoD is sitting unfinished in a shelf. His problem is he doesn't make you care about his characters. You need to like or hate characters in a story to get invested in it, so if the writer can't make that happen, reading his work becomes a chore.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts