Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been persuaded by a necron playing friend to get into 40k and for the most part I really enjoy the universe and armies.

I am considering my army and what to start with. I have narrowed it down to white scars, iron fists, or possibly tyranids although my interest in them is waning slightly.

I think I would enjoy painting space marines more.

So are those chapters a good face off against necrons? I dont want to invest a lot of money only to get served every time I play.

By the way, anyone who suggests the anti necron chapter in forgeworld, forget it. We have agreed not to use that one! I did think of that!

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I should also say that I have looked at CSM and space Wolves as options also. Purely because I like those models as well.

My only problem with the White scars is that they seem a very one trick army. I like something with a bit more tactical flexibility.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We typically play 1500pts.

He plays

lord on a barge
2 arks that carry normal warriors
3 spiders with guns on top, 6 beetles
Flyer carrying deathmarks or some elite infantry
5 bikes

Or variations of this type of list.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have also been looking at CSM as another alternative. How would they fare do you think against necrons?

My only hesitation about the white scars is that they are effectively a bike army with more or less one tactic. A very strong and effective tactic I admit, but they are a bit one dimensional.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not all just about winning but it's about not being hopelessly outmatched.

In terms of lore, imagery and interest in models, I am drawn to space marines: iron hands, white scars and space wolves and chaos space marines.

I just want to be sure that the army I use is competitive and not inherently weaker against necrons.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry Loli I think you misunderstood me. Did you read my original post?

My regular opponent only uses necrons so 95% of my battles will be against them.

As I have said, it isn't about winning only, I just don't want to choose an army that is at a significant disadvantage from the outset against them. There is always an element of rock paper scissors about the armies.

I will of course choose the army I like the lore and models for, I have said that all along. The armies that I like the lore and models for are the ones I have narrowed it down to, that was the first requirement.

For example, a lot of people talk about how competitive eldar are, personally I cant stand their imagery and could never use them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.