Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been persuaded by a necron playing friend to get into 40k and for the most part I really enjoy the universe and armies.

I am considering my army and what to start with. I have narrowed it down to white scars, iron fists, or possibly tyranids although my interest in them is waning slightly.

I think I would enjoy painting space marines more.

So are those chapters a good face off against necrons? I dont want to invest a lot of money only to get served every time I play.

By the way, anyone who suggests the anti necron chapter in forgeworld, forget it. We have agreed not to use that one! I did think of that!

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
My first choice would be White Scars taking Khan a giving all your bikes and dedicated transports the scout rule is a big advantage. Having a bunch of bikes and rhinos in your face is a challenge for necrons. An iron fist allie is good too. You can have a could of drop pods with thunderfire cannons can be useful as well.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I would go Whit scars, their bike heavy so can get in the necron's face quickly and crons fall apart once they are in CC

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
White Scars - they have the best bikes, and bikes have speed to close the 24" gap at which Necrons will take you apart, and the high density of Meltaguns you need to deal with the extraordinarily resilient Necron armour (since the Annihilation Barge is one of the most efficient tanks in the game, it's unusual to find a Necron list without at least one and often two) and are a lot more resilient than MEQs against most Necron firepower (while you should never expect anything to last long against Necron shooting - if you leave it sat at 24", it's pretty much dead - and Annihilation Barges don't care, a lot of Necron fire is torrent Str4/5, which is far less effective against T5 than T4).

I'd advise Drop Pods for either army though - disabling their vehicles is a huge factor in being able to fight Necrons without it turning into a war of attrition (which they most assuredly will win), and Drop Melta is the best way of doing that (although perhaps less necessary with Khan - you are bringing Khan, of course - as 12" Scout, 12" move Meltaguns are very capable on their own).

Don't forget to pack your Melta Bombs - they're over twice as effective as Meltaguns, as Necrons can't simply Jink and ignore 50% of your firepower (and believe me they will Jink - Necrons don't really lose all that much from Jinking unless it's a Doomsday Ark, and really, when was the last time you saw one of those?).

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
It depends on the build of his necron list.

If he likes all the fancy units like barges and lychguard, then your white scars will go toe to toe with them easily and make for a good game.

If he prefers to maximize numbers and takes a predominantly hoard of squads on foot backed up by a few high fire output vehicles, then your scars might struggle with their reduced numbers over that kind of firepower. In this case the Iron Hands might fare better, having the numbers to match the guns but I'd still advise some fast moving assault units.

Morfang's suggestion of an alliance is probably your best bet. :)

It's a shame you've lost interest in tyranids though. Some of their new stuff is absolutely amazing and complements the older units fantastically.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I should also say that I have looked at CSM and space Wolves as options also. Purely because I like those models as well.

My only problem with the White scars is that they seem a very one trick army. I like something with a bit more tactical flexibility.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If he prefers to maximize numbers and takes a predominantly hoard of squads on foot backed up by a few high fire output vehicles, then your scars might struggle with their reduced numbers over that kind of firepower. In this case the Iron Hands might fare better, having the numbers to match the guns but I'd still advise some fast moving assault units.
This sounds like my list. :D

30 Tesla Immortals
24 Scarab Swarms
3 Death Scythes
2 Doom Scythes
1 Overlord
2 Lords

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We typically play 1500pts.

He plays

lord on a barge
2 arks that carry normal warriors
3 spiders with guns on top, 6 beetles
Flyer carrying deathmarks or some elite infantry
5 bikes

Or variations of this type of list.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
This sounds like my list. :D

30 Tesla Immortals
24 Scarab Swarms
3 Death Scythes
2 Doom Scythes
1 Overlord
2 Lords
That many flyers? Dirty girl. :scratchhead:

We typically play 1500pts.

He plays

lord on a barge
2 arks that carry normal warriors
3 spiders with guns on top, 6 beetles
Flyer carrying deathmarks or some elite infantry
5 bikes

Or variations of this type of list.
White Scars should be able to hold their own against this just fine. :good:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have also been looking at CSM as another alternative. How would they fare do you think against necrons?

My only hesitation about the white scars is that they are effectively a bike army with more or less one tactic. A very strong and effective tactic I admit, but they are a bit one dimensional.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
That many flyers? Dirty girl. :scratchhead:
I haven't even played since early 6th edition, so it was even worse back then. But I built the list for coolness, not for the flyers. The flyers are the first things to go when I cut down on points.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
I
My only hesitation about the white scars is that they are effectively a bike army with more or less one tactic. A very strong and effective tactic I admit, but they are a bit one dimensional.

White scares are not just a bike army. I know most people think that they are and the bikes are very strong but not the best part of the army. Taking Khan gives scout to bikes and dedicated transports, so you can have Rhinos and Landraiders all with scouts. My friend plays an all rhino and landraider white scars army. My other friend plays a all rhino army with Iron fist allie two drop pod thunderfire cannons.

Let me tell you having rhinos packed with marines and landraiders in your face by turn 2 is not easy to deal with. So not just a one trick pony or atleast scouting armies are a pretty cool trick.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I have also been looking at CSM as another alternative. How would they fare do you think against necrons?

CSM can bring a pretty horrifying amount of anti-heavy infantry to the field, and Nurgle Spawn on a table with decent cover are a total pain in the ass for Necrons, but if you're just looking at raw ability to do well against Necrons I doubt Chaos would be appreciable better than White Scars. They can certainly win, but I don't think anyone would say that CSM are 'better' than White Scars. Basically, if you really like CSM, you won't lose horribly every game, but if you have no greater attraction to White Scars or to CSM and just care about the wins, White Scars would be a better choice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's not all just about winning but it's about not being hopelessly outmatched.

In terms of lore, imagery and interest in models, I am drawn to space marines: iron hands, white scars and space wolves and chaos space marines.

I just want to be sure that the army I use is competitive and not inherently weaker against necrons.

·
Jeepers
1,354 Posts
To be honest I think you're just screwing yourself over if you're using how an army does again Necrons to factor into to your army choice. One of the biggest banes of alot of 40k players especially the new ones is not picking the right first army for them.

Pick and an army because you like it's models and it's lore, not because of how well it would do against one army you may end up playing against. Otherwise you're just screwing yourself over if you ever play against other armies or want to expand your own army.

So if you like Chaos then go Chaos or whatever, don't let competitivness dictate your first army otherwise you will only be hurting yourself in the long run.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry Loli I think you misunderstood me. Did you read my original post?

My regular opponent only uses necrons so 95% of my battles will be against them.

As I have said, it isn't about winning only, I just don't want to choose an army that is at a significant disadvantage from the outset against them. There is always an element of rock paper scissors about the armies.

I will of course choose the army I like the lore and models for, I have said that all along. The armies that I like the lore and models for are the ones I have narrowed it down to, that was the first requirement.

For example, a lot of people talk about how competitive eldar are, personally I cant stand their imagery and could never use them.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
For example, a lot of people talk about how competitive eldar are, personally I cant stand their imagery and could never use them.
Preach to the choir!!

It really doesn't matter what we say here it is most important that you enjoy YOUR army. So choose the one that you like the lore and the models because that will help you get through the part of actually having to build the army.

I only suggested white scars because Necorons are mainly a shooting army that are not great at close combat. Iron hands are good but it is hard to out shoot Necrons so battles with them would probably pretty close. I like CSM and Wolves a lot but they struggle against Necrons again you won't lose every game with them but it will be a challenge. White Scars will just more of a challenge for Necorns to deal with.

Why not create your own army? Create your own color scheme and then use them as you like. You could use them as white scars one game, iron hand the next, Space wolves after that and then CSM if you like. This will give you a feel for each army and how it plays. You may find you don't like white scars and space wolves fit more your playing style.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts