Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips on painting eyes and skin. Especially shading. I'm pretty new to painting minis but I seem to be okay at painting most of the model. This skill will develop with time.

I have a really hard time getting skin to look right. The skin tone usually ends up looking a tad over saturated. Seeing as skin is primarily yellow/orange, does anyone know a good blue/purple or brownish paint to dab into my dwarf flesh for the darkest shadows around the eyes, nose, hairline, etc?

As for the eyes, i usually end up getting the paint intended for the pupil on some other part of the face in addition to where I want it or i end up with too much/too little paint on whatever i'm using to try and make it with. I've tried all manner of tools to try and create this dot but i'm having no luck. Then if by some miracle i get the pupil in there, i'll always end up ruining it by shading it. I've tried shading it before hand but considering how many times i usually have to redo the eye I give up. Part of the problem is probably the fact that I cant hold my hand *perfectly* steady due to slight nerve damage, so a good way to brace my hand and the model would be great.

Any shortcuts, advice, or (even better) exercises I can do to help improve my painting would be appreciated.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Gryponne Sepia, I think it's called. That might work well. Other than that, washes really do wonders when it comes to shadows.

Then again, I'm not the best painter around :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
for simple eyes, paint the eye black and put two white dots in the corners of the eye. or you can paint it white and put a small black dot in the middle.
to keep your hand steady try to rest it on something to take the weight of it off your wrist, also, hold the brush as far down the shaft as you can. i have shaky hands and these methods along with concentration and controlled breathing work for me. hope they do for you!

·
Disciple of Change
354 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
for simple eyes, paint the eye black and put two white dots in the corners of the eye. or you can paint it white and put a small black dot in the middle.
to keep your hand steady try to rest it on something to take the weight of it off your wrist, also, hold the brush as far down the shaft as you can. i have shaky hands and these methods along with concentration and controlled breathing work for me. hope they do for you!
This.

But, in my experience, dots are hard to get right and often result in the eyes looking 'crossed' or a bit 'special'.

A way that gets better results more frequently is to do a black line down the centre of the eye.

You can also cheat and use a black micron pen.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
unless your doing it for display though really I wouldn't worry about the eyes too much, when the models are 3 feet away you can't see them anyway really, better to just concentrate on the face

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
unless your doing it for display though really I wouldn't worry about the eyes too much, when the models are 3 feet away you can't see them anyway really, better to just concentrate on the face
My models are for display whenever i'm not using them because i'm OCD like that :p

I figure if i'm spending a bunch of money buying them I might as well make them look amazing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts