Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a just played a game and I destroyed a chimera with 10 vets inside. I had 5 terminators and a half a squad of marines completely surrounding it. After all those pens it naturally exploded. There was no way to put all 10 guys inside of the crater without being 1 inch away from my models. So I assumed that the whole squad was destroyed. Am I correct or do they just get pinned?

If they are destroyed I think I know how I will try to kill some tough infantry with feel no pain :)

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
If the vehicle explodes, the vehicle is removed and all passengers are placed where the vehicle used to be. Then you roll D6 for the explosion radius, and everything within that takes a S3 hit, and the guys who were in the vehicle take a S4 hit. The unit then takes a Pinning test. (page 61, 67 BRB)

In Example: The Chimera suffers a destroyed-explodes result. The 10 Veterans take a S4 hit. Those who survive are placed where the vehicle used to be (the vehicle itself is removed) and take a pinning test. You then roll a D6 for the explosion radius. Say that you roll a 5. This means that all models within 5" take a S3 hit (excluding the Veterans)

Hope this helps :grin:

·
Registered
468 Posts
There was no way to put all 10 guys inside of the crater without being 1 inch away from my models. So I assumed that the whole squad was destroyed. Am I correct or do they just get pinned?
They'd get to try an emergency disembarkation - deploying anywhere within 2" of the vehicles hull (p67). If they can't do that, they get perished.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I believe that that is over-ridden by the fact that the vehicle has exploded. Models are placed where the vehicle used to be. If they would be within 1" of the enemy whilst doing so, then it becomes an emergency disembarkation. (page 67)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
They'd get to try an emergency disembarkation - deploying anywhere within 2" of the vehicles hull (p67). If they can't do that, they get perished.
No, you only disembark with a destroyed (wrecked) result. A destroyed (exploded) result, you don't get a normal (or emergency) disembark, but are just placed where the vehicle exploded.

As for the OP's question, I'm afraid you fall into a rules hole, and get eaten by a Grue.

The problem is that the Explodes result doesn't have the same epithet that the Wrecked result does; that models that can't deploy are destroyed. I personally would play it that any models (not the whole unit!) that can't be placed more than 1" away from an enemy are destroyed, just as for the Wrecked result. This would mean he could probably deploy 6 or so of the unit, with the rest destroyed.

However, there isn't a rule to that effect, so if you're having a problem with it, just roll off for it, and accept that result. It might mean that models end up within 1" of each other, but there isn't much you can do about that. If you're at a club or in a group of friends, you might make a normal house rule about it, in case it comes up again.

Hope that helps :)

·
Super Moderator
8,561 Posts
...models that can't deploy are destroyed. I personally would play it that any models (not the whole unit!) that can't be placed more than 1" away from an enemy are destroyed, just as for the Wrecked result....
Or - and I accept logic is not a good guide to WH40K rules - the entire squad fitted inside the vehicle before it exploded and the explosion has reduced the amount of vehicle present, they all fit in the space remaining and any enemy are pushed back to 1" (by the explosion if you wish to maintain logic).

The difference between a wreck and an explosion is the presence of a random mess of jagged "space taking up" vehicle afterwards, so it is vaguely logical that the result is different.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think the 1" rule still trumps after all results are applied. If after the vehicle explodes, casualites on both sides removed, the surviving Vets would be deployed. Any of them that are not 1" away from the enemy are removed as casualites.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Which is totally unsupported by the rules, but taken for granted as fact.

Hell, it's how I play it.

·
Registered
795 Posts
gotta love situational quagmires. Seems if they fall within 1" of the enemy they're destroyed, mainly because a majority of rules concerning the 1" thing say it's an major league no-no.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In a tournament setting I would be very curious to see how this would rule. I almost think the whole unit would be destroyed since thats what happens to them when it is wrecked and I dont know of a time where just a few units are destroyed it seems like its all or nothing (deep strike mishap table comes to mind)

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
In a tournament setting I would be very curious to see how this would rule. I almost think the whole unit would be destroyed since thats what happens to them when it is wrecked and I dont know of a time where just a few units are destroyed it seems like its all or nothing (deep strike mishap table comes to mind)
With a wrecked vehicle, the whole unit is not destroyed! Only those models which cannot disembark (even after an emergency disembark) are destroyed - while that could mean the whole unit in some situations, is is not necessarily so. So this means that being unable to place one model of a 10 model squad, only means that one model dies, not the whole squad. It's important to remember :p

Read the Wrecked result on P67 :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ooo yeah! Good point :) So it would be the same as if it was wrecked then, meaing only the guys you could place 1 inch apart would live. Thanks for clarifying ! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts