Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, so I'm putting together a Space Wolves list. What I plan to focus on is close combat, just out of principle and my love for the look of CC weaponry. I'm only playing friendly games.

Ok so here's the thing. Suppose I have

1 Rune priest

20 troops from two regular "Wolf pack" boxes

3 to 5 Thunderwolf cavalry

2 Rhinos

Further, I could use a few jetpacks from other boxes and I have lots of space marine weaponry left in sprues.

1. How should I assemble the Wolf pack troops? Wolf Guard? Grey Hunters or Blood Claws? And in which quantities if different? How to equip them, keeping the cc focus in mind?
Btw, I also have about 5 jetpacks from older sprues., if those might be useful.

2. How to equip the TWC?

3. How to equip the Long fangs?

4. Do I need drop pods? I'd like to have a fast list that gets in the opponent's face immediately

Thanks a lot for your help! Don't take this for laziness, but I'm confused by a lot of abbreviations on forums and it's a bit overwhelming with all the different options and the price of minis.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you have access to the Champions of Fenris supplement, is a detachment in there that will boost your weapon skill on already good close combat units. Not to mention a few formations with boosts.

If you don't have this it's okay, Space Wolves are still great. Just remember that you need shooting and close combat for Space Wolves to really shine. But lets get into the meat and potatoes of it.

The Rune Priest isn't a good close combat character. And the HQ roll for a CC army is pretty important because that's where your heaviest hitters will be found. My favorite is a Wolf Lord with Thunderwolf Mount, Runic Armor, Storm Shield, and either a Power Fist, Thunderhammer, Wolf Claw, or if you have the supplement, the Krakenbone Sword. He Should run you somewhere between 210 - 225 points. You can very easily just kit up a thunderwolf cav model to be this guy.

Thunderwolf Cavalry are you next best CC unit and the perfect little family for a Thunderwolf Lord. I personally always put in one with a power fist and a storm shield. That's because his close combat attacks are strength 10 and rending with AP2 already, making him a vehicle killer as well as an everything else killer. Some people put storm shields on every thunderwolf but I've never found it necessary. I usually only run the two from my powerfist model and my wolf lord. If I had five to choose from, I'd keep 3 basic and kit two up as a PF/SS and the other as your preferred wolf lord. At higher point levels you can always go back and say the powerfist model is also a wolf lord and have two killers.

Without the Champions of Fenris supplement your 20 basic models should be Grey Hunters with bolguns, bolt pistols, and close combat weapons. They cost a few more points, but can really back up those thunderwolves in the inevitable "grand melee" situation where it seems like every unit on the board dissolves into a mosh pit. Adding to this, they still have boltguns for clearing out horde type units and have access to dual special weapons. I've run flamers for dual horde control before, but it's really just to save points. Melta is the better option. I just never go with plasma guns on these guys because they can't charge after firing rapid fire weapons.

At 1000 points you could actually run a Thunderwolf Lord with a Wolf Claw (otherwise like before), a Wolf Guard Battle Leader with a Power Fist (just like the thunderlord but cheaper), 3 thunderwolf cavalry, and two grey hunter squads in rhinos with 2 meltaguns in each. That would be very close combat oriented and play very aggressively. Keep in mind it's a very small army. Not many models and almost zero long range firepower. But it is a fluffy face-smasher using models you've got access to and it'll be fun.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, first off, sorry for letting your post sit there unappreciated for a while. Huge thanks for taking the time and writing such an exhaustive answer. You answered A LOT of questions for me! :thank_you:

If you have access to the Champions of Fenris supplement, is a detachment in there that will boost your weapon skill on already good close combat units. Not to mention a few formations with boosts.
I do have the supplement. I'm still trying to make sense of it, but I'll figure it out!

The Rune Priest isn't a good close combat character. And the HQ roll for a CC army is pretty important because that's where your heaviest hitters will be found. My favorite is a Wolf Lord with Thunderwolf Mount, Runic Armor, Storm Shield, and either a Power Fist, Thunderhammer, Wolf Claw, or if you have the supplement, the Krakenbone Sword. He Should run you somewhere between 210 - 225 points. You can very easily just kit up a thunderwolf cav model to be this guy.

Thunderwolf Cavalry are you next best CC unit and the perfect little family for a Thunderwolf Lord. I personally always put in one with a power fist and a storm shield. That's because his close combat attacks are strength 10 and rending with AP2 already, making him a vehicle killer as well as an everything else killer. Some people put storm shields on every thunderwolf but I've never found it necessary. I usually only run the two from my powerfist model and my wolf lord. If I had five to choose from, I'd keep 3 basic and kit two up as a PF/SS and the other as your preferred wolf lord. At higher point levels you can always go back and say the powerfist model is also a wolf lord and have two killers.
Yes, I'll do this. Loving the idea of a mounted HQ. I ordered two x3 boxes of TWC anyhow, so six minis in total.

Without the Champions of Fenris supplement your 20 basic models should be Grey Hunters with bolguns, bolt pistols, and close combat weapons.
We're talking about, say, chainswords here, right?

What would you say is the next recommended expansion? Long Fangs?

I have several jetpacks (something between 5-10) from leftovers from a friend. Useless?

Cheers

·
Registered
434 Posts
It's all good man. Space Wolves are my shit. And when I start typing I just can't shut up sometimes.

Jump packs really aren't a SW thing. I personally find Blood/Swift/whatever Claws lacking as a CC unit. Sure they'll still hit most things on 4+ but in return they get hit on 3+. I have tossed around the idea of putting JPs on Wolf Guard models since they can beat some face and take the equipment to back it up.

And yes. Grey Hunters get chain swords. You don't even have to model them on there. I've got a good mix of guys modeled with pistol/sword, bolter/sword, bolter/pistol, or just bolter. When push comes to shove, "the blue guys have all three" is my answer. Unless of course there needs to be a combi-something, special weapon, or expensive melee weapon. Then I always glue one on. If I had a leader of some kind, I usually identify him by his wargear or paint his helmet. I just rarely ever use them with SW.

The supplement is great. The units are just expensive. Both to buy and to field in points. It's def something to look forward to as your collection grows though.

And Long Fangs all day! If you read a bunch of older tacticas you'll hear that a 6 man squad with 5 missiles is the bees knees. The new codex and points costs kind of squished that a bit. For me at least. Nowadays I find myself running 3 man squads with either 2 Lascannons or two Plasmacannons. They are super cheap, disposable, and still pack a punch if left undealt with. Space Wolves also have the most points effective dreadnoughts in the game. The rifleman dread (two twin-linked autocannons) is a great transport popper and cheaper here than any other marine codex. I also like Venerable Dreads with Melta and Heavy Flamer in drop pods. Then venerable makes then a bit tougher, but the extra ballistic skill is the real selling point for me. For the same points a standard dread with a Twin-linked lascannon and heavy flamer can do the same thing and have some range to use later for those mobile armies that the melta dread just can't catch up to.

Speaking of drop pods. SW do them better than most in my opinion. Not only because of cheap dreads, but the dual special weapon grey hunters function well in them too. That and those pods can block the crap out of Line of Sight so your thunderwolves can charge up untouched by your enemy's long range firepower. It just takes a bunch of pods to do it right and buying new is scary expensive. I took to buying used army lots off of ebay and repainting. I could usually get the models at half of what new costs. And I didn't have to build each one. Granted it took a while to build my collection and I ended up with stuff I didn't need at the time, but I'm glad I went that route.

And I'm just going to stop typing now. Told you I can't shut-up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I agree, SW fluff is awesome, iconography is awesome and I like the fact that you do play the good guys, only that they're deathworld-bred, bloodthirsty, barely human berserkers.
Mostly though the minis are the best looking for me. They have that compact, sturdy SM look, but you can add so much character and give them a lot of personality with the uncovered faces, the trinkets ans whatnot, without feeling that you're completely off tracks in regards to fluff and codex. I was hesitant whether to start 40k again with Dark Eldar or these guys (my choices are always based on the overall look of armies, I have to admit) and I don't regret picking up Space Wolves.
The only thing is that painting these guys is a just a huge timesink, compared to relatively uniform minis like Ultramarines. Anyway, it's a lot of fun!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I was just talking to my best friend on the phone last night and he plays DE. We were commenting on how much we hated painting troops because it's all the same and monotonous. That's why I like my space wolves. They change it up. My current blood angels army actually uses a lot of space wolf bits to give them a more savage appearance. It would look just like an SW army if it wasn't based in black and trimmed in reds, golds, and some greys. I just hate painting the same thing over and over. That's why my imperial guard are still unfinished. Just like I bought them two years ago.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SW do change it up and painting is probably the component I enjoy most in all of this, but boy, SW minis take up so much time... the colors are weak and need several coats, then they have all their accessories, then almost all of them have faces to paint.. and I still haven't figured out how to do the company emblems... And I need to get my hands on magnets, because I can't paint assembled minis, but I want to at least play some test games... anyways, waiting for the cavalry to paint, that should be fun.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I usually paint fully assembled. It's not as good a job, but it works. I also us the cheap walmart paints that are a dollar each. They are usually thicker and coat better, but they look like crap until you hit them with a wash. Also, if you're using black primer, try white. It'll take less coats. I normally base black so I don't have to worry about it, but I always spray paint my base coats (unless black, then my primer works). Washes are the shit though. I use secretweaponminiatures. They're cheap and make armor and flesh tones really pop. Honestly, ultramarines are the only army I have that are painted codex relevant. And I'm looking at a change for them. I just don't want an army that looks like everyone else's. I can always come up with at 957th founding successor chapter and a cool name to give them. And if they get nerfed a few months down the road? I can change chapter tactics or their codex to a better one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts