Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me start by saying... I don't know IG. I really don't know alot about them. A little, but not much. I play Chaos, and not very well; I build armies mostly theme-based, and try to build half-way decent tacticals from things that seem to work with everything else.

I have a deep love for my Thousand Sons, and I'm trying to find ways to continue expanding on them... They're my main army, and I've done a bunch of customizations and such to make the army mine. I've been trying to think of a good way to make some more interesting stuff with them... And I've decided that the best way to expand outwards with them is to go with IG. (actually, GK would be far better, but that's not an option)

As I said, I don't know IG very well, but I have a basic idea what I'd like. I don't really know poinst here.... I'm really just figuring I'd like an option or two for different slots so that I can have strong choices to ally in when I work on my lists.

Here's my thoughts in general:

A Pimaris Psyker seemed like an almost no-brainer when I was thinking about HQ, and a full mob of Santcioned Psykers also as elites.

It's everything else that gets tricky. I really don't want to spend the moneyt hat would be involved with a massive platoon (or 2) of Prospero Spireguard... so I'm guess that means Vetereans? Stormtroopers? I forget.

I'd also love some thoughts for other slots... most of my army is based around heavy fire support infantry... Rubrics, Obliterators, Noise Marine fire support squads, etc etc.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you want to play ig efficiently, you need to spam something: be it vehicles or infantry. Otherwise, you will get a few troops that get killed easily or few powerful tanks, that get overrun. Anyway: if you don't want to go for platoons, the only other choice (not counting penal legions, which close to useless) is veterans.
The great advantage of veterans is that, they can spam cheaply special weapons. Usually people go for either meltas or plasmas. If you want to use veterans, I would highly recommend buying a chimera with them, because they are too fragile to be on foot. I've never tried sanctionned psykers, but primaris psyker is a very good choice for small allied armies, because he is cheap and can do some damage. The other possibility is a command squad in chimera with 4 plasmas or meltas.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Hey Xabre,

I have actually gone the reverse path to you: Been playing Guard for ages, but have recently in the past 5 or 6 months gone to Thousand Sons, and recently Chaos Undivided...!

I personally chose IG because I wanted an army that was flexible yet got loads of bodies and dice to roll, as I always had bad luck when playing marines with armour saves and rolling to hit! I also just loved the idea of having waves of infantry being sent into the meatgrinder...

But, since you said you don't wanna go the blob/infantry route, you are only left with veterans in chimeras as troop choices, which tbh isn't the best route to go with Thousand Sons as allies, as Guard blobs would act as fantastic screening/meat shields for them...But hey, I understand the cost restrictions is a factor.

For 'Fast Attack' slot I think Vendetta is almost mandatory.

I have seen the Psyker Battle Squads in Chimera been used to great effect to reduce squads to LD2. Definitely a nice fluffy option for your 1ksons, a lot of fun and possibly quite competitive.

Elites: Meh...Stormtroopers are fun, can be used effectively with plasma deep striking, but not an overly competitive choice....Marbo on the other hand, is still amazing for 65pts. He will make entire armies turn around and shoot at him... Ultimate distraction unit. And can kill entire squads of terminators with a lucky demolition charge (AP2 large blast)... You could model him as some sort of Tzeentchy Thrall Wizard, with his demolition charge as some sort of magick attack.

Heavy Support: Manticore for anti-tank (str 10 ap4 D3 shots per turn). Leman Russ Exectioner for plasma craziness. Or if you want artillery: Griffon squadrons, Colussus, basilisks...

·
Bringer of the Apocalypse
2,559 Posts
Usually with allies you want something that compliments your force, or makes up for a lack in your forces. We Thousand Sons players are used to being out-numbered, but having (usually) rock-hard troops. So you want your "Spireguard" elements to do things our "Dusty Boyz" can't...

From what I recall of my time on Prospero, the Spireguard were a mostly elite infantry-based force; They kept the Spires/Libraries safe while the Thousand Sons were away. So I'd focus on well-armed Veterans/Stormtroopers that can dig in and hold objectives while the Sorcerors focus their attention on taking the rest of the battlefield...

As for a modelling idea... How about using a Warsphinx as the platform for a basilisk? The sorcerors have animated it, while the Spireguard have added a big gun to the "howdah" area... the heavy bolter could be mounted in the mouth...

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's sounding like, from an allied Detachment pov, I'll be going like this:

Primaris Psyker

Veteran Squad (1 or 2)
-Plasma Gun spam
-Possibly a Hvy Weapons Team (Missile Launchers are always fun)

Psyker Battle Squad (This seems like a fluffier elite choice than Stormtroopers)

Vendetta (or 2 squadroned)

For heavy support, I love the idea of turning a Warsphinx into a guncarriage. A Basilisk would be great for some back field artillery, while I suppose it'd be a Hydra for AA? My army lacks that until I get the Heldrakes going.

·
Bringer of the Apocalypse
2,559 Posts
Magnetize the Sphinx and it could carry all sorts of IG nastiness (Hydra Quad-guns, Manticore launcher, etc...)... I can even see a fire-breathing Pyro-Sphinx (Hellhound equivalent)...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts