Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm revisiting this idea since it was deleted from the incident with the hacker. Anyway, I'm planning on building a Dark Angels force using the minis from the DV set as a basis. I'm wanting to use this as a no brainer go to for the 1,500 monthly game I play with friends. So, let's take a look at what we have to work with;

Company Master
Librarian
Interrogator Chaplain
Deathwing Terminators
Ravenwing
Tactical Squad with Plasma

So, keeping with this set up I was thinking of doing the following

HQ
Interrogator Chaplain w/PP
Librarian

Troops
Tactical, PC, PG, Sgt w/PP, Rhino
Combat, MG, Sgt w/PW, Rhino

Elites
Deathwing, CF, AssCan

Fast Attack
Ravenwing, PG x2, Attack Bike w/MM, Sgt w/PP
Ravenwing Support, TML, MM

Heavy Support
Predator, AC, HB sponsons

Obviously, there is room for improvement. Things I would like to add are a Landraider for the Deathwing. But, that's expensive, $$$ wise, and they can either foot slot -OR- teleport in via the Ravenwing. Thoughts? Ideas? C&C? Spanner? All are welcome! :)

·
Spanner in the works...
5,349 Posts
Company Master
Librarian
Interrogator Chaplain
Deathwing Terminators
Ravenwing
Tactical Squad with Plasma

As an elite core this is OK, but obviously you'd need to expand out a bit to stand any chance of success (generalship not included :wink: )

So, keeping with this set up I was thinking of doing the following

HQ
Interrogator Chaplain w/PP
Librarian
Seems fine. Ideally I wouldn't run 2 HQs, but you have them so let's work with it. The Libby should definitely take 6th ed powers at least until the new dex comes out. Telepathy and Divination are nice.

Troops
Not a big fan of all plasma, but again it's what we're working with.
Combat, MG, Sgt w/PW, Rhino
Seems good to me. I'd actually run two of these and one plasma rather than the reverse.

Elites
Deathwing, CF, AssCan
AFAIK the Deathwing didn't come with any upgrades? Correct? Because I would hands down say Cyclone over AssCan in that case.

Fast Attack
Ravenwing, PG x2, Attack Bike w/MM, Sgt w/PP
Bun the pistol, otherwise fine.
Nice - maybe another one for redundancy.

Heavy Support
Hmph. There's not a lot of praise that can be sung for C:DA Heavy Support choices. Fortunately you've picked the best of the bunch so I'm not gonna complain.

Obviously, there is room for improvement. Things I would like to add are a Landraider for the Deathwing. But, that's expensive, $$$ wise, and they can either foot slot -OR- teleport in via the Ravenwing.
Now, if they were geared for CC I'd definitely take a LR. However, seeing as they aren't and you're not running a termie HQ with them, I'd simply let them footslog/DWA to make the most of their firepower.
Spanner?
:music:
So that puts you at ~920 if my maths serves me correctly. To expand on this, I have but one word for you: Imperial Armour.

In an ideal world I'd recommend you pick up a pair of Contemptors and a Storm Eagle. But then reality torches that idea with a thing called money, so let's consider some realistic expansions (unless you like that idea of course :laugh: )

At the moment you have no/few units for your HQs to run with. Options are Tactical squad, Assault Squad, Veteran squad, Deathwing, Ravenwing.
Logic dictates that the first one and last two aren't entirely practical for the list you currently have. Thus, we are left with either the Assault Squad or the Company Veterans squad.

I know which one I prefer.

So if we run two units that look a bit like this:

5 Company Vets - 230
- Sgt with Power Fist/Storm Shield
- Meltagun
- Power Sword
- Power Sword
- Power Maul
>> Rhino

Then you have like 20 pts to spend on meltabombs here and there etc etc.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so in revision the turn around would look like;

HQ
Interrogator Chaplain w/PP & MB
Librarian, MB

Troops
Combat, MG, Sgt w/PW & MB, Rhino
Combat, MG, Sgt w/PW & MB, Rhino

Elites
Deathwing, CF, CML (I actually have this on a previously acquired DW Termie)
Vet Squad, Sgt with PF&SS, MG, PS x2, Power Maul, Rhino

Fast Attack
Ravenwing, PG x2, Attack Bike w/MM, Sgt w/CS

Heavy Support

Seems interesting and decently affordable for me. The nice thing is that I have a few of these models already and plan on trading my Chaos Marines from DV for the things I don't have... maybe.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
So, after reviewing the cost per unit I can now say that the total comes out to 1,725 for the list in the last post. So, dropping the company vets may be what I remove to comply with point cost... :sigh:

So, looks like things may shape up as the following:

HQ 235
Interrogator Chaplain, PP
Librarian

Troops 555
Tactical, PG, PC, Sgt w/PP&CS, Rhino
Combat, MG, Sgt w/PW&MB, Rhino

Elites 240
Deathwing, CML, CF

Fast Attack 375
Ravenwing, +3 bikes, PG x2, Attack bike w/MM, Sgt w/CS
Landspeeder, TML, MM

Heavy Support 95

That's actually 1,500 on the nose.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My only comment would be you're starting to run a little light on the troops for objective missions with a total of 20 scoring bodies on the field. I'm running 2 full tactical squads and scouts and finding I'm pushed a bit thin on 3 of 6 missions in the rule book. It doesn't take much concentration of fire from your opponent to wipe out a couple of combat squads and suddenly you're left with no way to win the game bar total annihilation.

This might not be a problem if you play it safe and try to keep them out of harms way while the Wings take a bite out of the enemy. Just something to be careful of when deploying and strategising.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, those are things I've considered. Just like I'm rethinking the extra 3 bikes in the Ravenwing. Maybe another Dakka Pred to send in with the troops and stir the pot a little in the opponents side of the table. Hmm...

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Revised list.

HQ 240
Interrogator Chaplain, PP, MB
Librarian

Troops 555
Tactical, PG, PC, Sgt w/PP&CS,Rhino

Elites 240
Deathwing, CML, CF

Fast Attack 275
Ravenwing, PG x2, Attack bike w/MM, Sgt w/CS
Landspeeder, TML, MM

Heavy Support 190

So, the Chaplain will attach to one Melta Squad and the Libby to the other. Both will carry out a Nuke 'em style of tactics with the opponent's armour and such. They will be backed from a far by the Ravenwing bikes and the Landspeeder.
The plasma squad will combat out and take the Rhino with the PC and PG for dealing with troops while the sergeant will take his group and receive support from the Deathwing and two Dakka Preds for.dealing with opposing infantry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts