Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been plotting to kill my friend's Marneus Calgar and his honour guard by releasing the Swarmlord upon them, with his instant death swords with inv save rerolls, he would be bound to win. However I checked the codex and Calgar has eternal warrior. Does this rule benefit the whole squad or just Calgar alone?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Eternal Warrior only ever benefits the model with it. Not that it matters, as I am pretty sure Honour Guard are single wound models anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eternal Warrior only ever benefits the model with it. Not that it matters, as I am pretty sure Honour Guard are single wound models anyway.
Yeah, but I just wanted to make sure. He somtimes puts wounds on Calgar to keep the rest alive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it benefits only the model.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
only the modal has it so only the modal can use it.
Some special chartaures like Kadrass (Scorpion Lord - Eldar) have an ability that says that this effects the unit but unless it say otherwise then no.

Also Swarmlord is a double edge dice when taking on someone like Mephiston. If he can't kill you first then he will die.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
BRB pg 74, Eternal Warrior. It specifies the model gets it. Not that it would benefit any of his Guard anyway.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The only time you'll have units composed of Eternal Warriors is when fighting Daemons. Ain't they just wonderful? :grin:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Also, I don't know if the honour guard can be like a retinue, but if they are just like a regular squad he joins, how can he allocate wounds to the honour guard. Surely you could just choose to single out Marneus Calgar on his own, kill him, and then destroy the honour guard squad with ease, or am I'm missing something?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Retinues are different from the situation where an IC joins a unit. A retinue forms a coherent unit with the IC, in the same way as you might have a sergeant upgrade in a unit that can't be singled out in combat.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Retinues are different from the situation where an IC joins a unit. A retinue forms a coherent unit with the IC, in the same way as you might have a sergeant upgrade in a unit that can't be singled out in combat.
From what I remember the retinues have gone the way of the Dodo. I'm pretty sure the DE codex is the only one that still has them, maybe the DH/WH as they are also 3rd ed., but I'm not sure.

Codex Marines doesn't have them for sure. Just because you buy an honor guard for a particular IC and with their HQ slot it doesn't mean that they function as a retinue.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
See p48 of the BRB. Honour Guard would seem to be the same as Retinue or Bodyguard. The important factor is whether or not the IC is allowed to leave the unit. If not then it is a Retinue.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
but then if in CC, a character can be singled out in combat, so if you attack a squad with a character in, you declare all attacks on him, and he will be toast, as in throy he cant allocte wounds to his honer guard

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
You can't single out characters in combat if they have a retinue, but it is a dying rule. The only retinues left to my knowlege is GK terminator retinue, Inquisitor retinue, and DE Incubi retinue.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
They arent a retinue, so in combat he cannot allocate wounds between the squad/calgar... he can do it against shooting though. The swarmlord should laugh at the honour guard- sure they have 2+ saves and lots of power weapon attacks but take some lash whip guards and they are I1 (swarmlord needs guards) and they have no invulnerable so every wound you get is a kill... marneus will survive into the second round but then alone he isnt going to kill his way through the swarmlord and retinue (yes, they are retinue now... whoopeee).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He often makes a termy chaplain join the whole squad, which grants his little invulnerable saves. After all this time he's been putting wounds on the guard in CC... damn it.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
would the Nid tyrant guard be a retinue then ... the tyrant can join but may not leave after doing so.
Yup, they are now officially a retinue- it says as such in the new FAQ, tyrants/swarmlords can choose to join but can then not leave again.

He often makes a termy chaplain join the whole squad, which grants his little invulnerable saves. After all this time he's been putting wounds on the guard in CC... damn it.
Chaplains dont give invulnerable saves to anyone, they make the unit fearless (which is actually worse then having Calgar there.. or equally as bad, depending on how you use his rules) and give you a reroll to hit in the first round of combat (not sure if you have to charge or not to get that). Either way the swarmlord and retinue should only really be fearing Calgar- the guard are effortless for the swarmlord to kill and 1 attack on the chaplain can kill him very easily... the guard can do some nice damage too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts