Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to recent fluff the Necrons are waking up more frequently, Tyranids are flooding the east and there are more Ork empires than ever before. So, the Imperium is obviously under more stress than in previous years, but instead of GW freezing 40k as it is (on the brink of annihilation as they say) does anyone think it possible that this is leading to an escalation in events. For example, Guilliman waking up to help combat the growing threat of the Tyranids or Leman Russ returning from wherever he was napping. This could possibly be a way for GW to re-invigorate the game, providing an opportunity to make a shitload of new models. Anyway, what do you guys think?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
No, well fluff wise yes, but GW will never move it past 999M41.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Not as a year, only fractions of it. They may add more info on what we have; m31-41, but nothing past M41. 40k is writen as a history of everything that has come to pass before M42, therefore it will never reach M42.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yeah, I know it's a fragment, but take a look at any recent codex with a timeline. Years go like 341.M41, then it's 412.M41, then to 476.M41, etc, all the way up to 990.M41, when it suddenly goes 991.M41, 992.M41, 993.M41 etc, until it gets to 999.M41. And then it chages gear. 9998.M41, 99993.M41, 9999989.M41... Gets rather ridiculous.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Will, but not for long.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what i meant to say is that the threats to the imperium in the closing years of M41 are growing so much that the only way to balance that would be to introduce something that would help he imperium defend itself against these new threats. so the question is not IF GW will go into the 42nd millenium, but CAN they?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
They could, and I would love them for it, but, again, they won't.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Yes, it broke. Done broked it upside the nuts.(idk)

·
Registered
408 Posts
In the unlikely event that the games system went bust, but somehow the Black Library element survived, we have a tiny chance that the story could move along.

We might have the odd chapter master die or a new species crops up or a new threat, but generally the overall picture never changes since the Imperium is the focal point of the 40k universe and the Imperium will always be stuck in the brink of destruction stage of the story.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
You also have to take into account that the background has never been expanded chronologically since the games inception. The setting has always been frozen at the end of the 41st millennium/beginning of the 42nd millennium.

So all in all, the 40k setting has never moved from its 'current' point and never will.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Really? I was always under the impression that each edition had a certain timeline...
So every edition is basically a retcon?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Well, Fantasy was the same way but they stated this edition was leading to a tipping of the scales, one way or another. 40k could do the same thing.

Just because the scales finally tip one way or another doesn't mean the game would end. If Fantasy had the forces of Order win out it would take decades (game time) maybe even a centuries for Chaos to lose.

40k would be different as none of the races could ever really be wiped out. There will always be a Tomb World, or a Craftworld, or a Hive fleet, or Imperium citizens falling from grace.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Guilliman will die within seconds of coming out of stasis and Russ is probably still hungover from a 10 000 year long binge drinking session so, no, I can't see anything drastic happening to change the game anytime soon. 999.M41 is gonna be a hell of a long year.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guilliman will die within seconds of coming out of stasis and Russ is probably still hungover from a 10 000 year long binge drinking session so, no, I can't see anything drastic happening to change the game anytime soon. 999.M41 is gonna be a hell of a long year.
haha yeah :grin:

anyway can you imagine?
"in the grim grim darkness of the even further future there are only SPACE MARINES!!!!":shok:
Warhamer 41,000

1 - 18 of 18 Posts