Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh so, I'm doing A-level English Literature, and finding it very tough indeed, Here's the 3 Books i'm studying;

King Lear
The Great Gatsby
The Kite Runner

Does anyone here know anything of those books, and give me a helping hand in understanding them?! (King Lear especially!!!)

Thanks,

ROT out.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I've just started A-Level English Literature and Language too:victory:

But... with two disgustingly sensual A*'s at GCSE under my rather delectible belt, I'm finding it challenging but erstwhile... That is correct my dear Reign of Terror... I just had to boast...

Anyway, we are studying Property, set during the Amercain Colonisation/Slavery of the 1840's within the ''Deep South'' and a play whose rather boring name has skipped my mind, which is far more centered around Bleach, Lord of the Night and Toast... So... no, I can't help, sorry...

Anyway -honestly- the best of luck to you in the future :so_happy:

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
I did King Lear for my leaving cert (A level equivilant I think) and while Shakespeare is a real pain in the ass when you have to study him, later you'll realise just how good the story actually is.

Think of the character of King Lear in a 40k sense. A monarch betrayed by some of his children ( for Goneril and Regan see Horus and Mortarion), with a few who stay loyal ( for Cordelia, Gloucester and Edgar see Dorn, Russ and Sanguinius), one even staying loyal despite being seen as a traitor ( for Kent see Magnus(sort of)). For Albany see Lion'el Jonson, a man possibly starting on the wrong side, but sees the error of his ways.

The more I think about it, the more I realise just how many parallels there are between 40k and King Lear.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Outstanding post on :king: Lear by Khorne's Fist. Genius is the ability to find the commonalities between apparently disparate things (or something like that!)

Now, The Great Gatsby and The Kite Runner are, by comparison, easy reads. It might help if you approach them with this mind set:
Both are outstanding pieces of literature, grade B at worst. Definitely not "brain candy." Well worth your time and effort
Both are vivid portrayals of real human beings grappling with challenging, believable situations. They deal with REAL daemons -- cowardice, betrayal, twisted sex, ego, psychological imbalance (OK, insanity).
Both have a strong sexual content (maybe that will help get you through?)
Both are "period pieces" portraying (very well) a particular time and place. Sit back and enjoy that aspect, and learn.
Both are based on real life characters and situations.

The Great Gatsby is the story of an American "hero" who "pulls himself up by his bootstraps," gains everything he always wanted -- fame, money, material wealth -- and finds it's all very empty. Gatsby gives up real values for superficiality and is destroyed. His "trophy wife" turns out to be neurotic, etc, etc. (F. Scott Fitzgerald was intrigued and awed by the wealthy. He told Hemingway, "The rich are different from you and I." Hemingway said, "Yes. They have more money.")

Is The Great Gatsby a great book? Well, I haven't read it in about 40 years (!) and a good bit of it comes back to me . . . I think that is ONE attribute of a great book.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wicked guys! :D I'm at the part where Lear is out in the storm... Great quote:

'The wrathful skies
Gallow the very wanderers of the dark'

I did like that one :laugh:

If i have big chunks to read; I kinda lose track of the story... But i think i'm coping! :3

+Rep for that post Khorne :3 That was great! I'd only disagree with Magnus.. Magnus went evil after staying loyal, Kent is more of a Choral character... who sticks it out.. God knows why- Lear is an ass...
Gotta read up until Act 3 Scene 5 in my Free Period tomorrow... Should be easily done :3

·
Registered
78 Posts
If i have big chunks to read; I kinda lose track of the story... But i think i'm coping! :3
IF you own the book, take notes on the inside front cover. Works for me in the Horus Heresy books and in slow going, highly detailed histories.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts