Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else read this or own it? I have finished the first of the three books contained therin. It is good so far but the first book seems a little slow compared to some other BL books(Normally a book this size only takes me three or four days reading, around work of course.) but overall i have enjoyed it. What does everyone else think. I will give it some more screen time once I have finished it.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
I started reading it but it was so slow that I stopped and started on Rynn's World instead, which I just finished and was excellent. Next is Black Tide, or Grey Seer.

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts
lord, i put Rynn's World down right at page 77 or chapter 5, about 2 months ago...and i haven't picked it up yet... it just didn't draw me in. but Enforcer, on the other hand. i haven't read yet. I have a copy sitting here, but it's for HOFC 2010, and i don't want to get it fucked up before i give it away. And besides, its got a tough chick on the front. I'm kind of into chicks that i think can toss me around. lol so i will read it. :)

CP

·
Registered
26 Posts
I read all three books. I agree that the first is kind of slow. I found the religious minutia before each chapter to be tedious.

I found both of the following books the be more interesting, and without the pre-chapter tediousness. Now that you got all that out of the way in the first book, you should have a better understanding of the background. Now you can kick back and enjoy.

I recommend you keep going.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Lord, i put Rynn's World down right at page 77 or chapter 5, about 2 months ago...and i haven't picked it up yet... it just didn't draw me in. but Enforcer, on the other hand. i haven't read yet. I have a copy sitting here, but it's for HOFC 2010, and i don't want to get it fucked up before i give it away. And besides, its got a tough chick on the front. I'm kind of into chicks that i think can toss me around. lol so i will read it. :)

CP
Really?, Rynn's World is really good once you get further into it. Its around Part II that the battles really get going and the desperation of the Crimson Fists becomes apparent. Plus it has Orks and a full scale WAAAGH! in it.

Ill get around to reading Enforcer soon enough. Right now im reading Grey Seer and then Black Tide, once im done with those, provided The Hunt for Voldorius, Fear the Alien and Temple of the Serpent aren't out yet ill get back to Enforcer.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Enforcer, in its sum totality, is the best, deepest, most accurate portrayal of the Imperium as a whole out of any and all books published by BL.

There. Said it.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I thought about spending my pennies on this, got nemesis instead.

Defo thinking about lifting a copy of this next paycheck.

·
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect
4,632 Posts
Enforcer, in its sum totality, is the best, deepest, most accurate portrayal of the Imperium as a whole out of any and all books published by BL.

There. Said it.
well hell, i'd call that a ringing endorsement! :laugh:

CP

·
Registered
408 Posts
I got the 2nd and 3rd book from the library, but couldn't find the 1st- I haven't read them yet though...so does that mean I'm lucky?
Is that Crewe library by chance?

They seem to randomly bring in books with no thought of sequence.

I to have not read the series yet for this very reason.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Is that Crewe library by chance?

They seem to randomly bring in books with no thought of sequence.

I to have not read the series yet for this very reason.
Yes it is...if it wasn't for the fact my profile shows that I live in Cheshire/Staffordshire I would be utterly terrifed of you :victory:

I go there about once a week but usually for the comics because I own all but a couple of the BL books they have.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yes it is...if it wasn't for the fact my profile shows that I live in Cheshire/Staffordshire I would be utterly terrifed of you :victory:

I go there about once a week but usually for the comics because I own all but a couple of the BL books they have.
As much as i would like to say that i tracked you down by going on each library site and checking the availability of those books i must admit that didnt happen.

Crewe is a bit rubbish for the 40k books (save Iron Hands and some of the 40k graphic novel - which i would struggle to get elsewhere) and on a seperate note they have all of the original Sandman graphic novels except The Kindly Ones - damn them.

Anyway i digress.

On the basis that the omnibus is out i should give this a crack, especially since Mossy gives it such a good succinct review.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will finish it and review it fully, It is just that when i get a new book usually i forsake everything else in my life until it is finished. That has not happened with this one so far. It is however a look at the 40K universe from a new perspective and i think that has to be considered. The work the arbites do would not be as intense as say the life of the soul drinkers or Eisenhorn. Maybe that is reflected in the pace of the book.

·
Registered
361 Posts
One or two shorts I think.

My copy arrived the other day and is in the reading queue.

I read them back in the day when they first came out. At the time I found BL books to be almost universally poor [as books and excepting Eisenhorn which I think was a similar time], these were the only books I felt were great books. I picked it up at release due to this and I can recommend without hesitation.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
What other content is in the omnibus other than the three novels?
Theres an Authors Introduction, Arbitor Calpurnia's "Patent of Appointment" and a bunch of 'case files' for each book.
Not sure about anything else, as I'm only just re-reading Crossfire. :)

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well i finally finished it. Thought it was good overall but not great. Crossfire and legacy were the best. Blind was a bit harder to follow but i think that was due to the setting more than anything else as it is set in the astropaths tower.
You will have to excuse me but I am not much of an expert literary critic but it never really grabbed my attention fully. But i am not really sure why.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts