Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a unit completely destroys another unit in assault and are now very close to another unit, in this case they were about 1" apart. The player controlling the losing side had put two units very close together by happenstance. When the one that was charged was killed, the remaining chargers were about an inch away from the other unit.

My question is, does anything happen with the 2nd unit that wasn't involved in the combat (like they can drawn into combat or something) or is that the end of it?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Assault just ends, when your winning unit consolidates you need to make sure none of the models are closer than a inch from other enemy units.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
+1 to the above. in no way you can "drag" units in melee... (unless special rules that clearly states this)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah ok, thanks. Thats the way we resolved it but when i was thinking about it i thought i had recalled something about units within 2" being counted as being in combat...no idea where i pulled that out of, lol. Thanks for the clarification. I think we didnt consolidate them such that they were > 1" away leading me to this line of thought.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
While in assault, models of units within 2" of base to base assault models can attack.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
While in assault, models of units within 2" of base to base assault models can attack.
do they have to attack or could they chose not to? I was charging tau units (pathfinders with a squad of firewarriors + ethereal 1" behind them) so if tau had the choice they would chose not too.

What ended up happening is that my raptors slaughtered the pathfinders then got shot up in the next turn by the firewarriors at point blank range, lol. One of the raptors survived the gunning and passed the break check, then i flew him away to safety on my turn.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Pretty sure any model that is able to attack, must attack. What you just described is the risk of super killy CC units hitting soft targets.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ah ok, that makes sense. So the mistake we made was that the firewarriors that were 1" behind the pathfinders were not brought into the combat after the pathfinders were charged initially?.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
No, they only would have been in combat if you had done a disorganized charge. To do that you would have needed at least one model in your raptors with a straight line unobsrtucted path to the fire warriors unit.

When you charged the pathfindrrs, you would also have had to assualted the fire warriors. That is the only way they would have gotten into that assault.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, looking through the rulebook i think this is covered under the intiative step pile in move. Any model must pile in if it will bring them within 2" horizontally or 6" vertically of a model in base to base contact with an enemy.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
You charged the pathfinders, that was the only unit that would be involved in the assault, no matter what the outcome. Surrounding units both yours and his just sit there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts